• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Intermediate How do I use the caged system to find scales all over the fretboard

Intermediate Theory

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Probably moving them around and knowing formulas for the scales
    In total I think there's 7 or 8 positions/ways to play the major scale
    So like the D major turns to A major then alter that to the scale you want.
    I could be totally wrong
    There's formulas all throughout the lessons
    Maybe others have more light

Upvote 0

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
    Rockstar Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    The CAGED system is amazing. First of all you can associate a pentatonic shaped with a CAGED shape. For instance the G shape can be associated with the classical A minor shape of the pentatonic.

You got to work it out on the fretboard. If you associate a pentatonic shape to a CAGED shape. Then you can move it around the fretboard in any key. Learn all the shapes and add the pentatonic notes to it.

Each caged shape is made up of 3 notes of the Major chord (CEG in C), then all you need to do is add the Pentatonic notes, which in the Case of C Major pentatonic is C E D G A, therefore you need to add the D and A to the CAGED shape.

Reactions: William B.
    Upvote 0

ProfessorChaos

Garage band Groupie
    May 11, 2022
    Hey,
    I think what you mean is how to apply the CAGED system to different Scales than the D-Major scale. I will explain it in the way how I remember and use it.

Every shape has the root note of the scale your are applying it on somewhere on the lowest two strings, except the D-Shape, where the root is located on the 3rd string.

So take for example the C-Shape from the lowest to the highest string in the case of D-Major. The first D that appears is on the A-String on the 5th fret.
    Now remember, where the root note of your scale is in the shape.
    If you want to play e.g. a G-Major scale in the C-Shape now, you gotta look for your G on the A-String. The first G on the A-String is located on the 10th fret. Now all you gotta do is build the C-Shape based on the 10th fret of the A-String, instead of the 5th and boom. There is your G-Major chord. Now you can use the C-Shape-Pentatonic pattern, the arpeggio and the Major scale pattern, revolving around the 10th fret of your A-string to build everything in G-Major.

I hope this solves your problem.

Cheers

Upvote 0