• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

How do you get your guitar tones

Ian _Invader

Music Theory Bragger
  • Feb 5, 2021
    Schoolcraft Michigan
    Personally I dial my tone based on the pickups I use. I use SD Invaders (You all know where this is going) With boosted treble in my amp
    Treble - 10
    Mid - 5 ish
    Bass - 6 ish
    The boosted Mids of the Invader mean I can push the treble so I can cut through and mix. I slightly raise the bass though as to make sure I have the desired beef and heaviness :)
    Of course, dial your tones on the clean channel before anything. Good clean base = Good heavy metal edge :D
    Hope this helps :)

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I use the AxeFX, which is the single most inspiring gear I’ve ever purchased. Within that, I use the 5153 Red amp (5150 Mk III 100wt) and one of Syn’s 4x12 cab models (I think it’s the Hellwin, but it could be the Bogner). I have a wah dialed in to turn on automatically when I step on the expression pedal, and I use reverb (not delay) to fill it out. I think I’m dialed at around 6.5 gain but I’d have to look at the other settings when I get home.

OskarF

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Well, tone is in your fingers is what a lot of people say, and while that's true, i think it should never be confused with what good gear can do because in my opinion they're two very different things.
    I used to always play with pretty uninspiring tone because i couldn't afford any good equipment and it held me back a lot as a musician honestly. What changed that for me was Neural DSP - best amp plugin, by far, that i've ever used. It's so nice to always be able to just play a single note and feel excited with what you hear; now i can't believe i've played for so many years and rarely getting that feeling.

I find it hard though to tell anyone specifically how i build a guitar tone since there are so many variables that are unique to every player. But a general thing i do is try to keep compression and gain as low as possible while still getting a heavy sound, because i find that too much of it makes for a kind of lifeless and dull tone. It's just a lot of listening and tweaking for me until it sounds good, which is something i learned to do when studying audio engineering.

So in conclusion: how i get my guitar tone is by using high quality and inspiring gear, and working on my listening skills as well as my fundamental understanding of the gear i use.

Synner Endless Summer Collection