• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

How do you make practice enjoyable?

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    I was reading through articles and came across the following quote:

When people are learning instruments, they should be encouraged and advised: if they say they don’t enjoy their practice, I always say, well, FIND a way to enjoy it.” ~ John Williams

We’ve all read and heard about how important it is to enjoy your practice, and we’ve seen the tips that tell you to make it sound musical, to take a break, and get a snack. Plus all the tips for routines.
    But how do you actually achieve that? Aside from playing your favourite songs.

What’s your trick that makes you look forward to practice? (Or to get you started?)

Muz Malek

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Singapore
    www.instagram.com

When people are learning instruments, they should be encouraged and advised: if they say they don’t enjoy their practice, I always say, well, FIND a way to enjoy it.” ~ John Williams

We’ve all read and heard about how important it is to enjoy your practice, and we’ve seen the tips that tell you to make it sound musical, to take a break, and get a snack. Plus all the tips for routines.

What’s your trick that makes you look forward to practice? (Or to get you started?)
    It's all about the purpose of why you're picking up the guitar in the first place, for example "One day I wanna play guitar in a band on stage".

If you're playing guitar merely as a hobby, you might not get as much satisfaction unless you take the hobby as a form a relief from the everyday life.

It's always good to have a purpose so that we know why we are doing what we are doing, and everything that comes after is part of the process of achieving what we want ;)

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    It's all about the purpose of why you're picking up the guitar in the first place, for example "One day I wanna play guitar in a band on stage".

If you're playing guitar merely as a hobby, you might not get as much satisfaction unless you take the hobby as a form a relief from the everyday life.

It's always good to have a purpose so that we know why we are doing what we are doing, and everything that comes after is part of the process of achieving what we want ;)
    100% agree with that. However knowing what I want and need for it doesn’t seem to cut it for me personally, even if the inspiration is there. That’s why I was wondering on how others think about this.

Muz Malek

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Singapore
    www.instagram.com
    100% agree with that. However knowing what I want and need for it doesn’t seem to cut it for me personally, even if the inspiration is there. That’s why I was wondering on how others think about this.
    I understand. But there's no one else but yourself that can help you. If self-belief ain't there, no matter how many people are offering their help and advises, in the end it's you who make the decision to get up and get going.

You really have to know what you want in order to move. And the process is always boring and dry at some point, but if we are missing a purpose, we're basically never gonna see a point in doing anything, not just learning guitar. hahah.

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    It's a difficult one for sure, as it differs from player to player, but mostly it's having the knowledge that what you're doing is going to make you better & happier about your playing in the future.

Prepare for hippy dippy examples here 😂

Like you have to almost romanticize that idea of how you want to play and you'll find practice as more of an obsession than a thing that 'has to be done' etc

I try and tell myself this: everytime you pick up your Guitar and work on just 1 thing, you're one step closer to playing how you want to play, like that day where you wake up and are in complete control of your instrument inches closer to you. It's real and it's out there, you just have to manifest it. When that day arrives is entirely up to you and if you pick your Guitar up or not. But you are always in complete control of moving that day closer to you - this idea drives me crazy because it seems so easy 😂 and technically it is! It's all a mindset thing.

For me, knowing that that day will come and not caring when, just enjoying the thrill of the chase is what keeps me practicing and wanting to reinvent my playing. I'm sure Steve Vai said it best, that Guitar is largely a mental game.

So basically, stay hungry!

Synner Endless Summer Collection

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    I like to mess around, turn on disco lights put my jacket on and kick my feet while playing guitar, daydreaming.
    When I get down I'll listen to music and/or clean my house, do some physical therapy stuff until I get the urge to clap my hands and play guitar.
    I try to keep it up cause my goals, which are everchanging yet still the same and it's a secret.
    Getting more comfortable with my guitar every time, from the start I figured I had to become one with it like an athlete and a ball or some other analogy. Some days when I don't feel musical I'll either leave it alone or do a few exercises like hammer-ons and pull-offs as fast as I can until I'm tired.
    Stuff that doesn't require any feeling or thought cause not feeling it. I saw this thread couple days ago but I didn't know what to say, probably deviated.

Spool

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019

the way I make practicing enjoyable is just enjoying the fact that I’m able to play. Playing is my passion and I enjoy myself no matter what I’m doing with a guitar

• Love
    Reactions: Riff36 and Lindsey

Sayonil Mitra

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Trying out new things is always an option, like new chords, new style of playing, or trying to cover a song you never thought of covering. Also, setting small reasonable goals each practice session acn delay the process of losing interest in practicing. What I do is, I just start playing tons of breakdowns with my amp on full blast for 5-10 monutes, just to refresh and then go back to practice again.

• Love
    Reactions: Riff36 and Lindsey

Riff36

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Jan 2, 2022
    🇸🇬 Singapore 🇸🇬

That’s a great question. I used to be in that phase. So as a lefty my creativity start to kick in and obviously as a guitarist I wish to be a great player 1 day “Hopefully”… hahaha. So what i did was 2. Things. No.1 I find someone who hv the same interest and direction where i wanna be.. and make a deal that every week we learnt the same stuff and not to debate or compete with each other but to make thngs interesting and fun as nobody wants to be a fluke when they say they will do it. No.2 Both of us keep exchanging music knowledge theory and make a plan out of it on how are we going to execute this over beer or coffee (Black) haha and promising together not to have debate or argument whose better and respect each other opinions and ideas.

So basically when i did that we recorded our progress each day as of what we have planned on learning be it a “Chop/Phrase” from our fav cover solo, riff, new scales or picking technique; and we send thru and fro to each other. Without both of us realised we were actually having fun and progress together and there’s no judgement or envy between us for who gets it faster or getting it better. The bedt advise is to find someone who you can relate in the same direction as u wish to be and then u be having fun. Btw just by noodling in front of tv is a fun where too to develop ur muscle memory.

But sadly a gd buddy of mine died and a piece of me died with him too till to date and i can’t relate myself playing with anyone with the same “Chemistry” like what i had before.

Conclusion or the Main Point is like going to the gym. “Buddy System” where a gd friend will push u and u will push him or her together and hv fun.

Peace Out - Riff36 (Silly Rabbit) 🐰🐇🐇🐇🐰✊🤘

Riff36

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Jan 2, 2022
    🇸🇬 Singapore 🇸🇬
    Trying out new things is always an option, like new chords, new style of playing, or trying to cover a song you never thought of covering. Also, setting small reasonable goals each practice session acn delay the process of losing interest in practicing. What I do is, I just start playing tons of breakdowns with my amp on full blast for 5-10 monutes, just to refresh and then go back to practice again.

💯 % agree with Sayonil Mitra. Music is an art and an expression of urself without words but thru emotions. scientifically our brain can only absorb maximum only 10min of practise or study. Its a Journey and ur the captain of ur own Ship. Inspire urself by always place ur guitar nearest to u.. and wake up have the habit to motivate urself by listening to ur fav songs as a start off day before u dive into training mode. As of myself.., no joke at this very moment.. every single day I’m listening to Ludwig,Batch, and etc. listening to Vivaldi, Sonata movement 3 and so on and forth. Just to get me pumped up and hype. ☺️🤘✊🐰🐇🐇🐇🐰

Muz Malek

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Singapore
    www.instagram.com
    That’s a great question. I used to be in that phase. So as a lefty my creativity start to kick in and obviously as a guitarist I wish to be a great player 1 day “Hopefully”… hahaha. So what i did was 2. Things. No.1 I find someone who hv the same interest and direction where i wanna be.. and make a deal that every week we learnt the same stuff and not to debate or compete with each other but to make thngs interesting and fun as nobody wants to be a fluke when they say they will do it. No.2 Both of us keep exchanging music knowledge theory and make a plan out of it on how are we going to execute this over beer or coffee (Black) haha and promising together not to have debate or argument whose better and respect each other opinions and ideas.

So basically when i did that we recorded our progress each day as of what we have planned on learning be it a “Chop/Phrase” from our fav cover solo, riff, new scales or picking technique; and we send thru and fro to each other. Without both of us realised we were actually having fun and progress together and there’s no judgement or envy between us for who gets it faster or getting it better. The bedt advise is to find someone who you can relate in the same direction as u wish to be and then u be having fun. Btw just by noodling in front of tv is a fun where too to develop ur muscle memory.

But sadly a gd buddy of mine died and a piece of me died with him too till to date and i can’t relate myself playing with anyone with the same “Chemistry” like what i had before.

Conclusion or the Main Point is like going to the gym. “Buddy System” where a gd friend will push u and u will push him or her together and hv fun.

Peace Out - Riff36 (Silly Rabbit) 🐰🐇🐇🐇🐰✊🤘
    This video literally came probably a little less than 24 hours ago & seems to be relatable to your concern - check it out!

Riff36

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Jan 2, 2022
    🇸🇬 Singapore 🇸🇬
    This video literally came probably a little less than 24 hours ago & seems to be relatable to your concern - check it out!

Dude that was like incredibly coincidence as i speak out of my experience whereby u giving this video as a proof that its all connected buddy. Much appreciate! ☺️🙏🏼🤘✊

My late buddy and me was literally self taught and that time there’s no You Tube man. We hv to secretly go to the library under music section or tower records, Borders or HMV and take that opportunity to listen to those latest album way before A7X man. I remember we went to the library and took whatever notes scales or anything we wish to learned and wrote it on napkin and papers man. That’s how desperate we were willing to go. Am thankful nowadays theres You Tube to improve and make more research on stuff i doubt or dont understand. And when we went all this big shot A star above the sky bands like A7X, Dragon force, Slash, YJM came to Singapore for tour i always be like shit man…! I cant see how they perform and especially Syn gates when A7X 1st ever tour to Singapore was at @Fort Canning” i was there but Dwamn i cant see much of how hes playing… Somehow inwish hSyn might consider cming to Singapore for a Guitar Clinic session. Hahah. In my Fcuking dream.!
    Again.. Cheers for that Video. Johnny Christ and Zacky are cool as well. No doubt!
    Cheers Buddy - Riff36 (Silly Rabbit) 🐰🐇🐇🐇🐰