• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

How do you practice?

Ashley Willis

Free Bird Player
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Georgia, USA
    When you want to learn a specific style or technique, do you try to learn exercises or learn songs/parts of songs that use the style/technique? I typically like to learn songs/parts of songs that use a certain technique and practice that part until I get somewhat better at it. What works better for you?

Kat the metalhead

Music Theory Bragger
  • Jan 20, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    At the moment I’m practicing soloing and building up speed , so what I do is I practice scales with a metronome until I build up speed and I’ll also practice parts of solos from songs or parts of a song I struggle with and also use a metronome until I’m happy or reach full speed of the song. Right now I’m working on sweet child o mine and bel air by malice Mizer

Ashley Willis

Free Bird Player
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Georgia, USA
    At the moment I’m practicing soloing and building up speed , so what I do is I practice scales with a metronome until I build up speed and I’ll also practice parts of solos from songs or parts of a song I struggle with and also use a metronome until I’m happy or reach full speed of the song. Right now I’m working on sweet child o mine and bel air by malice Mizer
    Getting sweet child o mine up to speed and keeping it clean and accurate is not easy!

Reactions: Byron Arteaga
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    I like to learn songs because it immediately gives you insight on how to apply the technique in your soloing. I always try to analyze what's going on when I learn a solo, the parts I really like anyway. For example I learned sweeping by learning some of Syn's solos and I would just go 'aah you sweep arpeggios''
    So I could use them on my own and not randomly do it all over the place

Nocturne

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Dec 1, 2019
    France
    I start with a song and practice the technique to play this specific song, but when I do, I do exercises until I'm comfortable with the technique. So I do both exercises and song. I think that keeping a song in mind with the technique you are learning in it is important because it gives you a goal.

Reactions: Ashley Willis

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Lately I open up with my gminor arpeggios to warm up a little. Then I get right into it. Everything else I do is practiced in the improv. My warm up is usually to 180 bpm single beat notes. I speed it up in the videos though so you hear my progression. The sweeps are still a little sloppy going up. But they are getting cleaner coming down. I definitely have some favourites but I try to use as many as possible. There are countless patterns in every position.

Reactions: Ashley Willis

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    I like to learn songs because it immediately gives you insight on how to apply the technique in your soloing. I always try to analyze what's going on when I learn a solo, the parts I really like anyway. For example I learned sweeping by learning some of Syn's solos and I would just go 'aah you sweep arpeggios''
    So I could use them on my own and not randomly do it all over the place
    I forgot to mention, I practice with my amp turned off