• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

How do you think music will evolve?

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    I saw this on Instagram and wanted to post it in the meme thread but thought this could be a discussion on it's own.
    Where do you think music is heading towards to?
    IMG_8694.jpg

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    I think at it's core, the standards note progression will not go away. They have been there for centuries and you can still find in today's music, no matter how different it is, things that have been done centuries ago.

Only difference is the structure and sound shaping around the notes so that's where I think it's going. With the evolution of sound design like we see in electronic music, I feel like there are millions of different sounds that we can create that will immortalize new ''genre'' of music and the way people will add their own touch.

I guess that music will really evolve based upon the culture and our own evolution. The music of the paste will always remain as a foundation and will of course still exist but in the end, I really feel like musician will do what they did for centuries, be creative with sound!

This is a gigantic non answer now that im re reading myself hahaha

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I think the real evolution of music tends to be around the blending of different genres into something new. Looking for things that have become "classic" and putting a new spin on it. The building blocks will remain roughly the same, but musicians and producers will find new ways and new angles to make them fresh and new-sounding.

I the guitar arena, I think the even-continuing expansion into extended ranges will fade. The current crop of 8 and 9 string guitars and music is cool, but I think probably something a bit faddish. I don't think it will wind up going back to six-strings alone, but I don't think anything beyond the 7-string will really have staying power.

Good songwriting in heavy music will probably continue to evolve as it has - the interesting and daring stuff happening in verse parts, intros and musical interludes, while the choruses and bridges are the "safe" parts for the listener to anchor to. We see that kind of writing in our own Avenged Sevenfold, among others. Look at the chords the choruses are built on - most of them are built on the same 4 or 5 popular progressions because a chorus should feel somewhat familiar, but the other parts of the song are where things get really new and interesting.

Pop music will continue to devolve further into even more commoditized and homogenized garbage until pop-music fans long for something that sounds fresh, outside of a new sound effect or production technique. That may yet take a while.

IMHO.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    I feel like songs will be more like loops. Low fi asmr with more bass. That's what I think popular music is pretty close to. At least for pop.

Chord progression won't change much. But I think we might have at least 34 more metal genres in 10 years though.
    Different combinations as well
    I'd argue you can add country hip hip rap metal rock in the same areas as pop. The keyboard elements in metal just scream pop elements. And I agree on bass being big for the near future. And the hi hat..

Reactions: Lindsey
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Awex Came

Campfire Attention Holder
    Legend
    May 23, 2021
    We’re seeing the rise of AI generated songs, which will continue to expand and likely accidentally create new genres. We’re also getting analytics and data like never before as to what humans naturally react to in music, such as certain rhythms and melody choice, how we naturally respond to bass heavy music a little more, etc. And record label A&R’s (used to be Artist & Reppertoire, now it more stands for Analytics & Research) are using this data to create new and fresh sounds.

Awex Came

Legend
    May 23, 2021
    We’re seeing the rise of AI generated songs, which will continue to expand and likely accidentally create new genres. We’re also getting analytics and data like never before as to what humans naturally react to in music, such as certain rhythms and melody choice, how we naturally respond to bass heavy music a little more, etc. And record label A&R’s (used to be Artist & Reppertoire, now it more stands for Analytics & Research) are using this data to create new and fresh sounds.
    Also, the average length of songs are getting shorter due to what streaming services count as a play, which ties into payout and how many times the song can be streamed (plays) within a short amount of time. That in turn changes what the average structure of of a mainstream song is.

The average song structure was generally Verse, Chorus, Verse, Chorus, Bridge, Chorus (ABABCB) and it could now look something like Chorus, Verse, Chorus, Chorus.

EDIT: Another piece of information regarding length, Radio has to pay extra money for songs over a certain length (i think over 5 minutes) and they pay per minute after the 5. Looking at you Avenged, Metallica, Zeppelin, etc.

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Also, the average length of songs are getting shorter due to what streaming services count as a play, which ties into payout and how many times the song can be streamed (plays) within a short amount of time. That in turn changes what the average structure of of a mainstream song is.

The average song structure was generally Verse, Chorus, Verse, Chorus, Bridge, Chorus (ABABCB) and it could now look something like Chorus, Verse, Chorus, Chorus.

EDIT: Another piece of information regarding length, Radio has to pay extra money for songs over a certain length (i think over 5 minutes) and they pay per minute after the 5. Looking at you Avenged, Metallica, Zeppelin, etc.
    Imagine dream theatre on the radio.... must be expensive! But that explains why there are radio edits, I didn't know they had to pay by the minute after 5 min. It's interesting.

Though I wonder how the future will look like when music goes on blockchain... I mean we talk about the future and things moving on the blockchain will probably change the face of the industry again so I wonder if in that scenario, it would also affect song structures. It's still highly speculative but... interesting nonetheless!

Awex Came

Legend
    May 23, 2021
    Imagine dream theatre on the radio.... must be expensive! But that explains why there are radio edits, I didn't know they had to pay by the minute after 5 min. It's interesting.

Though I wonder how the future will look like when music goes on blockchain... I mean we talk about the future and things moving on the blockchain will probably change the face of the industry again so I wonder if in that scenario, it would also affect song structures. It's still highly speculative but... interesting nonetheless!
    It’s also true for streaming. The standard Mechanical Royalty rate is 9.1 cents for songs 5 minutes or less, and $1.75 for each minute or fraction of a minute over the 5 minutes.

A good example of radio edit is Bat Country, that one has a couple versions. Some radio stations also won’t play songs with fast double bass or screaming, so there are radio edits of certain songs without those.

It’ll definitely be interesting once it’s on a blockchain, who knows what’ll happen!

T

TheRedMageGuitarist

I saw this on Instagram and wanted to post it in the meme thread but thought this could be a discussion on it's own.
    Where do you think music is heading towards to?
    View attachment 2156
    This is actually a really amazing post. I just learned that rhythm has around since man evolved, but true music harmony as we know it has only been around for hundreds of years. I actually see music going BACK in time, as many pop artists are citing jazz influences in New music. I hear swing elements in many songs as well!! Who knows? Maybe Kanye will learn piano really well and have an orchestra in 15 years🤘

• Love
    Reactions: Yakun and Lindsey

Matthieu Dubois

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
  • Nov 11, 2019
    France
    I think it's all about neuronal connexions. I think we like our contemporary music because our brain, his structure, is made to find it beautifull. If our brain was made differently, maybe we would prefer the noise made by the reactor of an airplane instead of Mozart.
    So I think it's all about how the human brain will evolve.

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    maybe the ai can mind control everyone with a special program eventually after it makes the song after data
    with imagery too and VR
    what if the venom symbiote was like gremlins getting wet but sound made it do it and we got tricked thinking sound is the weakness but in reality it's actually the strength
    and each spawn from the venom is a mix from all it heard like an evolving vibe
    what if we need to make our riffs waaaay longer to contact other aliens cause time distance stuff
    is there a movie where in a dystopian world the musician is like a hero or villain? or is that like mad max, I didn't see the new one

Yakun

Garage band Groupie
    May 3, 2021
    Bat Country
    I'm late but I'm guessing that music will kinda repeat itself. You see, you already have jazz on the rise again (Lofi HipHop) and you may have who knows what next? Because people are always out looking for inspiration and can find it by taking it from other genres, thus creating something new out of that. Maybe even metal might blow up to where pop artists might even take some elements from that genre. I know it's the other way around nowadays in some cases. Neo classical is a good example since it takes elements from classical and combines it with rock. Hope this makes sense.

Andrew Fernandes

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    London
    www.youtube.com
    I think it's more about if people will change but it's hard when pop labels are pushing songs lets say we as the audience are being fed a diet of these songs. So when an interesting artist comes along making more unique music it may be hard for the audience to adapt to that sound. I do like pop music but I do miss the authenticity of the vocals. Nowadays it can be very well "produced" the market for music is more saturated as well, its harder to stand out in a crowd. Pop music If I am correct used to be rock in the 80s if I am correct. Hey, even rap was greater in the 90s and early 2000s. I guess for new genres it may become even simpler. You have more songs with fewer chords now etc even only 2 chords like lil nas. It is quite reassuring for an artist like The Weeknd though I do admire his work. So perhaps it is possible to go back to those older styles. There are such genres as mumble rap I have heard of I think a Norwegian band singing gibberish made-up language that sounded quite nice and perhaps could be a great way to get melodies out on paper better. The newer genres are more independent on how big of an audience they can reach to become a new genre to establish it. What I can say is I want songs to last a lifetime not to be hot in a month and forgotten in time. The Weeknd can be proof of reverting backwards, so we will never know hey maybe we will hear some Vivaldi 90s rap style. Sorry If I went on a tangent.