• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

How long have you been playing?

Notyour Beezwax

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
I was just wondering how long most of you had been playing and what's your skill level? I've been playing for over 25 years, I feel that I'm intermediate to advanced in skill. But I've mainly focused on just playing and learning songs and have only just recently started learning about theory and why I should be playing what I'm playing. Thankfully I think I have done a good job of fooling people until now, falling back on pentatonic scales has gotten me out of a jam on more than one occasion. This school has really helped, I also started playing the piano which has made learning theory a lot easier, but I digress. How long have you been playing, what would you consider your skill level, do you have people you play with, are you in a band, does your band play out regularly (at least did you pre covid)?

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I was just wondering how long most of you had been playing and what's your skill level? I've been playing for over 25 years, I feel that I'm intermediate to advanced in skill. But I've mainly focused on just playing and learning songs and have only just recently started learning about theory and why I should be playing what I'm playing. Thankfully I think I have done a good job of fooling people until now, falling back on pentatonic scales has gotten me out of a jam on more than one occasion. This school has really helped, I also started playing the piano which has made learning theory a lot easier, but I digress. How long have you been playing, what would you consider your skill level, do you have people you play with, are you in a band, does your band play out regularly (at least did you pre covid)?
    35 or 36 years, on and off (mostly off from about 2000 to 2009). Gigged heavily in the 90s, just started gigging again right before Covid hit, and will crank up that machine again. Theory has been elusive but getting more and more to sink in, and working on more varied techniques than previously.

ari.mac

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 16, 2020
    Italy
    I' ve been playing for about 4 months I think 😅😅😅 I'm trying to learn both playing and theory. I started with PG lessons here and now I've also started taking private lessons with a local teacher to get as better as I can in theory and practical playing. So yeah I'm really a biginner and never been in a band ( 😭 )

G

Gemma G.S.

I've "played" on and off for a handful of years, but it was never anything like lessons or learning any kind of foundation. My friend would teach me certain parts of songs so that I could back her up whenever we did covers together. I knew a couple of chords and a few verses of different songs, but I was definitely always more of a singer. Then this school came along and I actually started learning! I'd say I'm still a beginner, for sure.

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Spring 2004, almost 16 years. Played pretty regularly, occasionally I'd spend a few weeks/months off. Recently came back from a near 2 year period where I couldn't do anything, apathy. Played in a band shorty, nearly 2 months, 6 sessions of 4 hours in 2008 or 2009. We didn't get along an got kicked out. Main song was named A Lack of Empathy, go figure. Tried a few jam sessions before I had that 2 year period, I was shy, but it was going ok and had to stop. Can't afford to do shit and I'm not allowed to work or earn money, not sure what party that is, but I don't like it. People see my gear and write me off or I'd say hey that was amazing and get the same story. Rather be a rapper and solo

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Jacques

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 29, 2019
    IL
    Give or take 12 years worth of playing so far. I suppose I would classify myself as intermediate?

Heavily influenced by Avenged Sevenfold, I think the reason I wanted to play was after listening to Unholy Confessions in awe wondering how the fuck they were making the crazy sounds (the descending bends) towards the end of the song. Ever since that point I tried learning as many songs from them as physically possible for a newb lol My neighbor started playing a year or so before me and I quickly started bugging him to borrow his guitar and once I got my first geet we jammed in his garage all the time. So I started playing standing up early on and am really thankful for that small part (playing whilst standing is a very important rule for the SGS :p).

I honestly spent the first 8 or 9 years strictly reading tabs for avenged songs and only playing those. 🤪 And of the handful of songs I could play through all the way I constantly played them over and over again perfecting my technique. So I am kind of kicking myself in the ass now wishing I would have incorporated a lot more variety in my playing early on.

Theory? What the hell is theory? 🤣 It was a couple years ago I decided I really need to expand my playing. When I discovered this school a year ago it was like the clouds had cleared and the pearly gates opened up!! Ever since then theory has been my main objective. Like our theory wizard Ids mentioned, im really fascinated now on the reasoning of it all. It's going to be a long bumpy road before I get anywhere near fluent in guitar theory but I am here for the ride! 😄

Jesse Salmons

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Nov 11, 2019
    Indiana
    Been playing for 9 years, about half of those years were spent just learning riffs, bits and pieces of solos. When i started gaining confidence and getting really comfortable and finding my way of doing things, i started learning full songs, harder solos, and eventually my own songs. Guitar is one of the few things that keep Me sane

Notyour Beezwax

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Thanks for the replys. One thing I want to say to everyone that's saying they're learning theory, GO BUY A KEYBOARD. It doesn't have to be good, seriously the little Casio keyboard so many people have as a kid would even work. The way the notes are laid out in sequence on a keyboard makes intervals, scales, arpeggios, build chords, really anything that's not rhythm related so much easier to understand than a guitar. I'm not saying learn to play the keyboard just learn where the notes are to understand theory concepts, then move them over to guitar. It was a night and day difference for me in understanding theory.

Donovan Etue

• Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    March will mark 2 years since I started playing. I'd say I'm a beginner with some parts bordering on intermediate. My theory knowledge is next to none. I've attempted to get down some of the basic stuff but I always end up getting distracted by something and forgetting what I had just worked on so it never sets in. Although technique wise I'm pretty happy with where I'm at. Most riffs and licks I can figure out pretty quickly and start playing along with. My ear mostly in the last 6 months has improved a lot compared to where it was before.

I've found that a fun way for me to practice is to play along to concert footage of my favorite bands and to figure out certain parts of songs. The first one I did this with was Gojira's Live at Red Rocks video that they released a few months ago. I managed to download the original video before it was either unlisted or taken down. I'll play along to the songs that I practically know by heart now and if I don't know a part I'll listen to see if I can figure out how to play it by ear first. If that doesn't work I'll watch to see how they play the part. That actually helped me make a LOT of progress with my ear.

I've been wanting to pickup a piano for this exact reason! Although trying to justify another instrument to learn while I'm still pretty new to another makes me hesitant. Besides shelling out a bit of money to get a decent keyboard.

Kat the metalhead

Music Theory Bragger
  • Jan 20, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    I’ve been playing for 7 years and would say I’m fairly good or knowledgeably about rhythm playing. It’s all I have been playing.

But my main issue is I have no knowledge of theory at all! Mainly because all my old guitars teachers said it’s useless and all I need is tabs, which is 100% not true. Plus they were rude as hell lol

I have a new teacher now who is beyond amazing and even said my old teachers were shit :ROFLMAO: which is true. I only found out about using a metronome when I joined the school cuz I thought it was a thing just for piano cuz my old teachers said if you can’t play a song at full speed right away drop it

Jesse Salmons

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Nov 11, 2019
    Indiana
    I’ve been playing for 7 years and would say I’m fairly good or knowledgeably about rhythm playing. It’s all I have been playing.

But my main issue is I have no knowledge of theory at all! Mainly because all my old guitars teachers said it’s useless and all I need is tabs, which is 100% not true. Plus they were rude as hell lol

I have a new teacher now who is beyond amazing and even said my old teachers were shit :ROFLMAO: which is true. I only found out about using a metronome when I joined the school cuz I thought it was a thing just for piano cuz my old teachers said if you can’t play a song at full speed right away drop it
    Damn you had some shitty teachers! Good thing you got away from them!

Mariler

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    Zaragoza, Spain
    I've been playing for 3 years. Started learning songs for fun and just recently taking music theory, because I was a little tired of memorizing a bunch of songs and forgetting ...now I want to know what's going on in the song I'm playing. Also I'm thanks to the school I'm starting to take care of my technique too. I'll probably hire private lessons soon for a teacher to help me.
    Never been in a band but I'd love to participate in some jam sessions when Covid goes away

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Been playing since 2015 though the school Changed everything for me. I probably would have Stopped by now in Lack of motivation If it wasn't for the SGS.

I am "only" a bedroom guitarist but slowly getting Into writing my own stuff. Still at the very beginning of my Journey with music theory.

I was told that I am an intermediate Player by now although I still try to Put myself Into the beginner Corner 🤣
    I definetly still am when it comes to rhythm, Timing and theory.

Akshat Rawat

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Niagara Falls, Canada
    www.youtube.com
    I've been playing for 3 years I guess (it's been inconsistent whenever uni starts handing my ass to me xD). I've been writing for sometime but never really recorded anything for a proper song. I've basic theory knowledge and I'll really develop my song writing skills in the coming months as I plan on recording stuff in the summer break! I just wanna be equipped before that:D

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Forgot to mention that don't know my skill level, it's for sure not Synyster level. I don't have anyone to play with around here, a big problem is my personality don't match, pretty sure it's the major Hip-Hop and R&B influence I grew up with. I went from 311 to Limp Bizkit into Ice Cube and Ginuwine into Hey There Delilah into We Come Out at Night. Now I like everything pretty much, the other night I had this thought, There's no life in Electronic music, I mean there's no Percussiveness, sorry, I kind of forgot how my thought went, something to do with live bands being magical.
    I use to think Hip-Hop was all computer music with turn tables until I walked by a bar and heard some live band playing In the Club by 50 Cent.
    I randomly say to people " Hey, I play guitar too! " " you know someone needs a guitar player or something? " " you know where everyone hangs out? maybe I can join!? " People act like I'm a Ghost or I'm gonna Rob them like some Zombie. Reminds me of that movie Day Z or something where those zombies are stepping on each others faces to get on top to climb over that huge wall. I get older, understand and appreciate arts way more. getting sidetracked, just awoke

getting sidetracked

Last edited:

beatrix

• Sep 19, 2020
    Italy
    i play since 2018. i was in a band last year and this summer (but just for days or months) maybe i will be in a band in few weeks, but it’s not sure, bc the guitarist of this band left the band and the singer asked me if i wanna enter...but it’s not sure. anyway, having a band and working with it is my biggest dream. anyway yeah, i study in a music academy and love theory music and i wanna learn it and become a professional but i have to work hard....i don’t know what’s my guitar level, now i’m curious btw🤦🏻‍♀️🤔🤔