• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

How long to practice?

Donovan Etue

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    Just a quick question, how long do all ya’ll practice? For me it varies on how much time i have! If im having a real busy day i’ll get at least 30 minutes to an hour of exercises in so i make at least a little progress!
    Depends on how I feel mostly. I pickup the guitar at least once a day if not a couple of times a day. Sometimes I'll spend an hour running through chords and scales that I know over and over and over again and other times I'll play parts of songs that I've learned over and over to improve at it. I generally get 1-3 hours a day in but that could be called half to 70% noodling with dedicated time to learning new things being lower!

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Just a quick question, how long do all ya’ll practice? For me it varies on how much time i have! If im having a real busy day i’ll get at least 30 minutes to an hour of exercises in so i make at least a little progress!
    That's awesome and definetly should get you somewhere longterm. Honestly it really varies for me. I also try to Pick Up the guitar once a day but that didn't Always Happen lately and I gotta say, I should Spend a Lot more time with it. Also how Long I Play depends on mood and time, I guess it's something between 10 Minutes to an hour.

Firsty Lasty

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    I'm very "hot and cold", which of course severely hinders my progress. The smart thing to do is to not do what I do but instead be very habitual about good practice. The amount of practice that you can make a natural part of your life is a good amount.

Of course if I wanted to earn my living playing guitar I would practice every possible minute of every possible day even if it felt like it was killing me.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Jesse Salmons

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Nov 11, 2019
    Indiana
    Depends on how I feel mostly. I pickup the guitar at least once a day if not a couple of times a day. Sometimes I'll spend an hour running through chords and scales that I know over and over and over again and other times I'll play parts of songs that I've learned over and over to improve at it. I generally get 1-3 hours a day in but that could be called half to 70% noodling with dedicated time to learning new things being lower!
    Im definitely guilty of spending all my time noodling on occasion 😂 sometimes ya just have to!

Jesse Salmons

Nov 11, 2019
    Indiana
    That's awesome and definetly should get you somewhere longterm. Honestly it really varies for me. I also try to Pick Up the guitar once a day but that didn't Always Happen lately and I gotta say, I should Spend a Lot more time with it. Also how Long I Play depends on mood and time, I guess it's something between 10 Minutes to an hour.
    I always say that if i can get even 10-15 minutes in its better than nothing. Usually turns into waaay longer than intended

Jesse Salmons

Nov 11, 2019
    Indiana
    Sometimes if work has been busy and it's a late finish, or whatever I dont play, for me weekends is when I get most of my practise in. But even then I dont have strict practise routines. I play when I feel most inspired and in the mood, I never force my self
    Yeah thats how its been for me, been working 12’s for the last 2 weeks 🙄

Serge-Jean

Dec 19, 2019
    Canada
    I almost practice everyday for at least 30 minutes, and if I am completely free, I can spend about 2 to 3 hours on my guitar or studying music theory or trying some ideas on my harmonica.

It also helps that there is a guitar at my school that I can pick up and play whenever my courses end.

My urge to play the guitar is too strong to resist ^^.

Jesse Salmons

Nov 11, 2019
    Indiana
    I almost practice everyday for at least 30 minutes, and if I am completely free, I can spend about 2 to 3 hours on my guitar or studying music theory or trying some ideas on my harmonica.

It also helps that there is a guitar at my school that I can pick up and play whenever my courses end.

My urge to play the guitar is too strong to resist ^^.
    I feel you man! Im trying to put in that work after 9 years of “getting by” just playing riffs and half ass solo’s! Im finally seeing improvement and it feels great

Reactions: Serge-Jean

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    So interesting reading through these!
    I tend to pick the guitar up every day in small sittings throughout, whenever I get a spare minute away from pets/work etc. A thing I'm trying just now is to try and improvise a melody the minute I get the guitar in my hand and see where it goes, my overall goal is to improvise more authentically so this is really helping me not overthink what I'm doing :D

Reactions: Lindsey and Kai C

Lucas Weiman

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    I got Gunslinger, Afterlife, Bat Country, Roman Sky and most of The Stage up to a performance-ready level on 1-4 hours a day (~2hrs average), 6 days a week.

I would also practice the hardest items first in your sessions (after you warm up), as your mind is not fatigued yet, and you usually have the best results at that time.

I would caution against going more than 90 minutes straight without a break, as the focused human mind starts to have diminishing results if you don't take a break. Good luck!

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    I got Gunslinger, Afterlife, Bat Country, Roman Sky and most of The Stage up to a performance-ready level on 1-4 hours a day (~2hrs average), 6 days a week.

I would also practice the hardest items first in your sessions (after you warm up), as your mind is not fatigued yet, and you usually have the best results at that time.

I would caution against going more than 90 minutes straight without a break, as the focused human mind starts to have diminishing results if you don't take a break. Good luck!

That's good advice!

Reactions: Lucas Weiman

Jesse Salmons

Nov 11, 2019
    Indiana

I definitely agree on the practicing too long! Its crazy but you can tell when your mind starts to be like “ight dude ima take a break you keep doing you” 😂

Reactions: Lucas Weiman