• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

How many chord do you need to write a song?

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
So, I love chords and typically I do key changes and all the other shenanigans when I write a song. However, this afternoon in the bus Eleanor Rigby came on and I thought to myself since I'm changing strings on my two main electric guitars I think I'm gonna try learning it tonight.

Now I'm learning it and the thing I notice is that the whole song pretty much is Em C or C Em depending on which part you're looking at.

I mean there are some variations for Em like Em7, Em6 and EmAug but the core is really just the Em and C and that absolutely baffles me because that song is simply one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard (and the instrumental is all Cello I believe) and the harmony is so simple.

Long story short, keep it simple 😅

Reactions: Chris Johnston

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    I think the answer is 'yes' to this question 😂 One song might be served well with many intricate chord changes where you could write a banger with just two chords 🤟 The two chord song might have a higher chance to earn you crazy royalties too 🤔

It all comes down to how crafty you are with your songwriting to make the simple stuff interesting I guess 😊

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Well Paul only needs 2 so I think he wins 🤣🤣
    You have this backwards.

“All I’ve got is a red guitar, three chords and the truth” - Bob Dylan

You have to be a McCartney-level wizard to write a perfect song with only two. Mortals require at least 3-4.

• Haha
    Reactions: Lindsey and idssdi
    Synner Endless Summer Collection