• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

How to get a7x amp tone?

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Hi, I've been playing for over 10 years and I never could really figure out how to set my amp. Only setting I know of is the one for Master of Puppets, which I just copied from someones post awhile back. I just use that setting for everything heavy. A problem is they turn the mids completely off so it's just heavy bass and some treble.
    here is my amp. If anyone knows how to get A7X tone please let me know. I don't want to spend a lot of time on this :D

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    i saw one time on a forum bass 4 mids treble 6-7. the master of puppets settings i got is full distortion full bass no mids and treb 6-7, to me sounds just like it. i think greenday has like 7 bass 7 mid i don't remember. it really helps to have the right tone when practicing songs, makes it more enjoyable @Alicia Willis i'll give it a try in the morning i'm not very good with amps and effects and stuff

Last edited:
    Reactions: Alicia Willis
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Except in extreme cases (like Dime, for example), I tend to think it's best to have your own tone that suits your own needs for almost everything, rather than chasing someone else's tone every time you play their song. I have one heavy tone that I use for everything, and one lead tone that I use for everything, too (and a super-clean and semi-clean tones, as well). The touch and the guitar offer all the variety I need unless I'm recording and going for something specific.

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Except in extreme cases (like Dime, for example), I tend to think it's best to have your own tone that suits your own needs for almost everything, rather than chasing someone else's tone every time you play their song. I have one heavy tone that I use for everything, and one lead tone that I use for everything, too (and a super-clean and semi-clean tones, as well). The touch and the guitar offer all the variety I need unless I'm recording and going for something specific.
    I want to try and match the tone from them, while i play there songs. if i played master of puppets with mids for example it sounds like less ( to me anyway) and it kind of discourages me from trying to make covers because i would be playing all the right notes and it won't sound like the record.
    btw @Ed Seith do you have any cool heavy sounding settings for my amp? maybe i could try them out in the morning

Last edited:

Adin Shepherd

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Melbourne, Australia
    No, they are all very different, much like guitars there are a multitude of different things that give each their particular voice. From speakers, cabinet wood and electronic components, all play their part.

As Ed said, I would find a few different general purpose tones that you like and stick with those. All that time adjusting settings to try and mach the original songs tone is better spent actually playing the song.

Nocturne

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Dec 1, 2019
    France
    Every amp are very different and react very differently to your pickups, your pedals and your guitar. There is no magic preset that could make you pull out someone else's tone straight from your amp. If you want to replicate a tone, start with all knobs in the middle like Ed said, a try to get closer to the tone you want by adjusting each setting one by one. You will most likely never sound just like Syn and Zacky by doing that: don't forget it was recorded in a studio, with unlimited access to amps, pedals and guitars, and not on a practice amp. Moreover, their tones aren't the same in every song. But if you want to get closer to Syn's lead tone, I would suggest you to put your gain and your treble very high (at least 3/4 full). Keep a lot of mids (more than half of the knob) and reduce the bass. Syn doesn't seem to use a lot of effects expect on The Stage album.

Last edited:

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    https://gyazo.com/704ea61cd1c477599542e7c5af2fc68a These are his exact settings, however, as people said, you need his gear too. And probably his fingers. But the gear is important. Eventually you could get a guitar processor FX and add some pre-amps over there
    is that axe fx pack thing like a soundpack for some app? I don't know how all that stuff works, I only ever owned a ds-1 pedal. I'm going to try out those settings. Thanks a lot!!!
    edit: I'm using the top one first it sounds nice! :D