• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

How To Get More Engagement On Your Riff Videos

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Sure. Would you like me to wipe your butt and tie your shoes too? Everyone's gotta take the plunge. Either you want this or you don't. No one should "pressure" you to do something you want to do. If you feel you need "peer pressure" and be "hyped up" to post, you don't want it like you say you do.
Ooh, this is so true! If you want to do something just do it, the more you ask other people to hype you up the more clear it becomes that you don't really want to do it.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
I cut my videos back a fair bit from before.. i don't expect many people to get past the first bit.. if you last the entire 8 minutes or so I give you props.. theres reasons I personally do that, (I listen to all of line and find my mistakes easy now). Usually hear the best of it in the first hit anyways.. its mainly my practice exercises on the fly anyways I only post it to encourage new.comers to not be afraid of mistakes.

I intend to do many other things as well. I'm not against feedback these days as I'm approaching material that's newer to me as I get familiar with different scales and positions. As my positioning gets better my videos will get smaller bit my main issue is it needs work and I'd rather not cut it short cause I won't work on it if I don't do it. I'll be doing many other things as I learn more and more. My videos won't be the best quality but you'll see some things ive learned. But what im gonna do today is do a couple review videos since I'm kind of looking for a bit of a break from the stuff I've been doing.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
More time to write a more explained post.

1. I myself am trying to make shorter videos but I feel it's hard to tell a story in a shorter improv and youre more doodling which is fine but I never just do a simple doodle. It's a working progress. I understand people have lives. Atleast they aren't 21 minutes long anymore. They could be...but I don't post those. Lol right now I'm basically trying to do similar to cj. I think his were a couple minutes to a few.

2. If you're pitch training it's hard to show progress in a minute or two. But again you really don't need to post everything.

3. I'll be active as long as people pitch in on mine. As long as people understand that I'm not trying to be defensive and am merely analyzing myself like I so life you have no issues to be afraid of. I'm at a point where if I'm playing a position or run wrong I should be able to catch it myself. Right now im trying to figure out how to play in intervals over chord changes. I'm doing this through arpeggio sweeps into alternate picking runs. The last 2 videos were getting into that.( I guess that isn't too difficult to make shorter. ) I feel it should go both ways. I'm always open to give my opinion.

4. My last thought. I've definitely been asking for help and haven't gotten much. (Been asking for chord progression suggestions). If you want a short 2 minute video. Give me something to do. You have heard what I'm.working on.

Refesher:

Bflat major chord family progressions. It can be essentially anything really. I haven't touched the modes yet. All I've done is memorize some of the caged positions. So you could suggest the caged positions I haven't tried yet. I've done a lot of a minor caged positions as they are easy to do for finger practice. They also match nicely with I believe g major shapes of their relative minors. (I'm not near my papers lol).

So here's what I'm asking for.
Example.
"Play a so and so progression using these caged shapes/mode positions/etc"

I'll definitely take in more of what you want if you can help motivate me to do what you want ;)