• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

How to go about legato?

Lordbeck

New Student
Mar 25, 2022
One of my guitar goals was to play Vinai T's Move the Sky. Of course, I understand that it will take a lot of practice. However, as I skim to players who covered it, I was wondering whether the phrase played at about 2:00 - 2:04 in , is considered legato? How do I go about practicing that and which lesson in the school should I focus on? I really have issues when trying to descend when practicing legato. As for my level, at the moment I have played almost 2 years and can comfortably play Neil Zaza's I'm Alright at 100 bpm ( slow, but getting there :). I also need advice on how to reach the alternate pickspeed in 2:27-2:30. Will any alternate picking exercise do and what speed should I start practicing and how much should i bump the speed every week? Thanks in advance!

grand99

Free Bird Player
Mar 11, 2023
2:00 - 2:04 was a mix of picking and legato,try to play scales mixing both of them. Regarding speed,just use the exercises you already have and increase the speed on them. Playing guitar is for the most part training,if you play more the best you'll become.

Upvote 0

Javier Wienarjati

Campfire Attention Holder
Dec 7, 2021
Indonesia
www.instagram.com
Hello, this is the 1st time I listent to the song. It's beautiful.
The 2.00-2.04 part I think it played with legato and pickings. It will be easier for me to play just with pickings actually. But it played with legato. Have you checked the Syn Etudes in lesson section. They have legato etudes and alternate etudes. I think they're so useful to learn because imthey have different range of speeds and difficulties.

As in the alternate part 2.27, I usually start from half speed (50%). Then gradually increase the spead by 5% whe I'm comfortable. In few days I usually find some improvement.
Good luck, dont forget to give us shot of your videos.🤩

Upvote 0

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    The part in question certainly features hammer-ons and pull-offs, but there's an awful lot of picking to really call it legato. It's a super tasty passage with a lot of string skipping in there - looks real difficult.

For a really pure example of legato, check out Satch here, doing an in-store of Always with Me, Always with You. Check the lick that starts around 3:33. Then go back and watch the whole thing.

Upvote 0