• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

How to Hold The Guitar Properly – Lesson 2

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Okay, so I have had this guitar since I was 11 maybe 12, my mom bought it for me so it would be easier than a normal guitar, but I stopped using it cause I just wasn’t interested until two years ago. And I wanted to know if the size of the guitar can affect your posture cause I cannot play this guitar with my fingers on the fretboard and have a straight up right posture. Would I have to buy a regular size guitar?

Without seeing you or the guitar, that's a hard thing to say, but adjusting the strap up or down will have more effect on your comfort than the size of the guitar itself.

Little Laguna05

Free Bird Player
    Feb 16, 2023
    0F37DBA5-457F-4DC4-BBA6-23DA4CD1DDFA.jpeg

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Syxguns

One Stringer
  • Feb 8, 2023
    Houston, Texas
    Top Picture: Guitar is too close to you

2nd Picture is the proper way to hold the guitar.

As far as strumming goes remember that it is not just arm movement. The primary movement is your wrist and thumb. There is some arm movement involved but it is not the primary focus.

When sitting, as you are in the image the only thing that should move is your thumb and a slight bit of wrist movement. Your arm on the guitar should stay planted where it is. I don't even strum straight down the strings. Practice picking one string at a time all the way down and back up without moving your arm from the resting position. Then pick one string at a time back up.

After you get comfortable with that I want you to double-pick each string. This will be a down-up pattern.

string - Down Up
    E - D U
    A - D U
    D - D U
    G - D U
    B - D U
    E - D U
    E - D U
    B - D U
    G - DU
    D - D U
    A - D U
    E - D U

Practice that to help prepare you for double-picking. Try multiplying the D U by two for each string then up to 4 for each string.

The next part of the exercise is to lightly rest the back of the palm near the bridge of the guitar to give a muted sound to the notes.

Now as the speed you are picking increases, you may hear a ring out from nearby strings. On your left hand use your thumb to mute the 6th string and your fingers to mute the strings beneath.

This all may seem like it's not teaching you anything, but later on, as you progress in your playing you will want these little habits. These habits will help you to play clearly and concisely. Learning these little tricks will make you a better guitar player.

Little Laguna05

Free Bird Player
    Feb 16, 2023
    Top Picture: Guitar is too close to you

2nd Picture is the proper way to hold the guitar.

As far as strumming goes remember that it is not just arm movement. The primary movement is your wrist and thumb. There is some arm movement involved but it is not the primary focus.

When sitting, as you are in the image the only thing that should move is your thumb and a slight bit of wrist movement. Your arm on the guitar should stay planted where it is. I don't even strum straight down the strings. Practice picking one string at a time all the way down and back up without moving your arm from the resting position. Then pick one string at a time back up.

After you get comfortable with that I want you to double-pick each string. This will be a down-up pattern.

string - Down Up
    E - D U
    A - D U
    D - D U
    G - D U
    B - D U
    E - D U
    E - D U
    B - D U
    G - DU
    D - D U
    A - D U
    E - D U

Practice that to help prepare you for double-picking. Try multiplying the D U by two for each string then up to 4 for each string.

The next part of the exercise is to lightly rest the back of the palm near the bridge of the guitar to give a muted sound to the notes.

Now as the speed you are picking increases, you may hear a ring out from nearby strings. On your left hand use your thumb to mute the 6th string and your fingers to mute the strings beneath.

This all may seem like it's not teaching you anything, but later on, as you progress in your playing you will want these little habits. These habits will help you to play clearly and concisely. Learning these little tricks will make you a better guitar player.
    Lol dude I am more focused on the little habits than trying to get to the good stuff, I will work on it and see where it takes me. Also what do you mean by muting ?

Javier Wienarjati

Campfire Attention Holder
    Dec 7, 2021
    Indonesia
    www.instagram.com
    Okay, so I have had this guitar since I was 11 maybe 12, my mom bought it for me so it would be easier than a normal guitar, but I stopped using it cause I just wasn’t interested until two years ago. And I wanted to know if the size of the guitar can affect your posture cause I cannot play this guitar with my fingers on the fretboard and have a straight up right posture. Would I have to buy a regular size guitar?
    Hey man, what size is your guitar? Ibanez and Jackson have the junior size series, so they're smaller than their standard size. I'm about 125cm tall and I use standard size ibanez and schecter omen. They're comfortable for my body while sitting. It's already quite awkward for me to use 3/4 size acoustic. So if you're bigger than me it would be more awkward too to use small guitar.

Little Laguna05

Free Bird Player
    Feb 16, 2023
    Hey man, what size is your guitar? Ibanez and Jackson have the junior size series, so they're smaller than their standard size. I'm about 125cm tall and I use standard size ibanez and schecter omen. They're comfortable for my body while sitting. It's already quite awkward for me to use 3/4 size acoustic. So if you're bigger than me it would be more awkward too to use small guitar.
    It’s a Laguna, not a big brand guitar. I am definitely taller, that is the only guitar I have except for a guitar that doesn’t work what do ever, it needs new strings but it also needs something redone inside with like the plug

Javier Wienarjati

Campfire Attention Holder
    Dec 7, 2021
    Indonesia
    www.instagram.com
    It’s a Laguna, not a big brand guitar. I am definitely taller, that is the only guitar I have except for a guitar that doesn’t work what do ever, it needs new strings but it also needs something redone inside with like the plug
    I see. Well @Syxguns has gave a very nice advice for hand placement and picking exercise. My teacher taught me the same to repair my hands placement. Also Muting means prevent other noise than the strings that you pick. You can do palm muting with right hand, or using left hand fingers to silencing other strings.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Syxguns

One Stringer
  • Feb 8, 2023
    Houston, Texas
    The problem with the plug is probably wiring that needs to be re-soldered. Pretty easy fix if you have a soldering iron.

What @Javier Wienarjati said is a pretty good explanation. Here is a little video to give you more clarity.