• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

How to Hold The Guitar Properly – Lesson 2

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Emilee Franklin

Free Bird Player
Apr 4, 2020
Any tips for changing the way you hold a guitar? I am not the best, but have been playing for at least ten years and have a bad habit of resting my thumb over the top of the neck, rather than the middle of it. If I am just starting a song I will remind myself of this, but it doesn't feel comfortable to me, and usually it falls back into incorrect position. Does anyone else have this problem?

• Love
Reactions: 005guy

Etienne Migeot

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
I'm wondering something. It makes 6 years I play guitar now and I prefer playing with more think picks even for shredding instead of 1.00 or 2.00 picks. Does it really affect me in the wrong way or not? (btw I am usually using .72mm or -80mm daddario picks.). I am used to thin picks and I feel like it works better for me for shredding and sweep picking, weirdly.

TheBakerman247

New Student
Jul 14, 2020
Kentucky, USA
Great tip about balancing the guitar. I think one thing I see guitarists do most often that leads to poor technique is they let the guitar slide out from under them, so they can see the fretboard better as they try to figure out where to place their fingers.

Also regarding pressure - one of my earlier instructors developed carpal tunnel from applying too much pressure on the instrument. He was self taught and didn't realize the mistake until it was too late. If the strings are too high and require a lot of pressure - get a set up!

ChiefDMG

Garage band Groupie
Nov 29, 2021
I'm a right handed guitarist and I've learned to play with my guitar resting on the inside of my left leg so a more classical posture. Is there any benefit to holding the guitar on your right leg as shown in this lesson and the more common way of playing? It feels really weird to me and would probably take a while to adjust so wondering is it worth it for any reason.

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    I'm a right handed guitarist and I've learned to play with my guitar resting on the inside of my left leg so a more classical posture. Is there any benefit to holding the guitar on your right leg as shown in this lesson and the more common way of playing? It feels really weird to me and would probably take a while to adjust so wondering is it worth it for any reason.
    I don't think it really matters. The classical style is better for your back and closer to the standing position. Just do what feels right.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Might be a little more relaxed sitting around the campfire, but that's about it. I encourage anyone playing electric guitar to always practice standing up, because rock and metal shows are never played sitting down.

But everyone sits to play acoustic, so be comfortable!

Forgetabull

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Classical style will give you better access to the upper frets as the angle of the neck will be better (and essentially similar to when you're standing). Having it on your strum leg can be more comfortable and as Ed Says (tm) it's more relaxed playing around a campfire/casual etc.

The between the legs/rest on the left fret leg technique is also just about the only way you can hold a flying V whilst sitting.. ie. Look at how Dave Mustaine plays his V whilst sitting down, it'll inherently look like a classical pose :)

20180721_215929_10330_1050001.jpeg

ChiefDMG

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 29, 2021
    Appreciate the tips everyone! Practicing standing sounds like a good idea also. It‘s another thing I struggle with unless the guitar is really high. No idea how people can get decent stretches with their wrist really bent if the guitar is low.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Appreciate the tips everyone! Practicing standing sounds like a good idea also. It‘s another thing I struggle with unless the guitar is really high. No idea how people can get decent stretches with their wrist really bent if the guitar is low.
    It's a trade off, and you work to find exactly the right height for you. Rhythm playing tends to prefer the guitar hanging lower - it's easier to get faster downpicking when your picking hand's elbow is less bent.

Then, as you say, lead players tend to want it a little higher up so they can get those fret-hand stretches and cleanly arch the hand for "proper" technique.

You may spend your first few years as a guitarist constantly adjusting strap heights to find your happy place. I've been playing 35 years, and I still adjust once in a while (more because a certain part of my anatomy keeps getting larger... ahem. No, not that. The big round thing above it where the guitar sits.

Little Laguna05

Free Bird Player
    Feb 16, 2023
    Okay, so I have had this guitar since I was 11 maybe 12, my mom bought it for me so it would be easier than a normal guitar, but I stopped using it cause I just wasn’t interested until two years ago. And I wanted to know if the size of the guitar can affect your posture cause I cannot play this guitar with my fingers on the fretboard and have a straight up right posture. Would I have to buy a regular size guitar?