• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

How To Hold The Pick – Lesson 4

ari.mac

Hot Topic Tourer
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 16, 2020
    Italy
    Using pretty thick picks seems to be common for metal music. I find it kinda slows me down as it takes a bit more force to pick the string (likely a technique problem) but if lighter picks feel better would you recommend just using them or work more on getting used to thicker ones?
    I think it's really a personal choice and there is not a right or wrong pick, so I would suggest for you to use what you are more comfortable with!

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    Using pretty thick picks seems to be common for metal music. I find it kinda slows me down as it takes a bit more force to pick the string (likely a technique problem) but if lighter picks feel better would you recommend just using them or work more on getting used to thicker ones?
    Ari totally nailed it. I also think using whatever feels best to you and you’re comfortable with is the way to go. I used to get so bogged down in what pick to use and tried every one that was recommended and I found I hated the majority of them. They just weren’t for ME. 😊

Ravenstorm

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
  • Feb 4, 2023
    Nadpur, India
    www.youtube.com
    I tries multiple Guitar teachers and the are always insistant on playing with my pinky on the pickguard with the reason that it helps playing leads.
    I learned guitar in the lockdown. It does not stick with me because I can not switch after an year of playing and it dosent help that I tried a lot of Alter Bridge so I also did quite a lot of bad sounding Hybride Picking Atteps too

What shouls I do now

bemers

Free Bird Player
    Nov 12, 2023
    When I am picking, I use my pinky as an anchor against the pick guard. It not only helps me stabilize but also gives my picking hand a sense of where it is in regards to the other strings. I've been playing like this for the last 10-ish years (although I can play songs, I wouldn't consider myself to be an intermediate player). Is this a bad habit that I should work on breaking or is it ok? I'm taking this class to finally become a better player, have some structure in my learning, and to learn some theory to be able to write better music.

Reactions: Ed Seith

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    When I am picking, I use my pinky as an anchor against the pick guard. It not only helps me stabilize but also gives my picking hand a sense of where it is in regards to the other strings. I've been playing like this for the last 10-ish years (although I can play songs, I wouldn't consider myself to be an intermediate player). Is this a bad habit that I should work on breaking or is it ok? I'm taking this class to finally become a better player, have some structure in my learning, and to learn some theory to be able to write better music.
    Many players, including myself, go back and forth and don't think anything is wrong with an anchor pinky. Syn does it sometimes, as well. It's maybe a little bit of a "crutch" for some players, but it's not a HINDRANCE, so if you were just learning, it might be something to avoid, but it's not a habit worth trying to break, as it's unlikely to cause you any issues at all.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

doenisz

One Stringer
    Jan 27, 2024
    This video convinced me to finally go from open fingers in my picking hand to a relaxed fist picking hand by closing down the mid/ring/pinkie, and the difference is night and day!

I only have 1 question though, if I try to make a relaxed fist, my middle finger is pulled to the underside of my index finger like a magnet, there's no way I can separate them. I wanna be clear, I'm not holding the pick with 3 fingers, it's just that the middle finger sits under the index. I'm also not clenching them to touch hardly. It's like the first digit of the middle finger grazes under the second one. Is this an issue? I feel very comfortable both tremoloing and strumming this way but having them touching will also prevent me from hybrid picking down the road.

1706461429477.jpeg

• Love
    Reactions: Rad Synner

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    This video convinced me to finally go from open fingers in my picking hand to a relaxed fist picking hand by closing down the mid/ring/pinkie, and the difference is night and day!

I only have 1 question though, if I try to make a relaxed fist, my middle finger is pulled to the underside of my index finger like a magnet, there's no way I can separate them. I wanna be clear, I'm not holding the pick with 3 fingers, it's just that the middle finger sits under the index. I'm also not clenching them to touch hardly. It's like the first digit of the middle finger grazes under the second one. Is this an issue? I feel very comfortable both tremoloing and strumming this way but having them touching will also prevent me from hybrid picking down the road.

View attachment 3641
    Not an issue at all, I hold my pick with my hand being kinda like a fist. I would say though that on my end, I try to have as little tension as possible. Just enough to keep my pick between my fingers but I want to be as relaxed as possible!