• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

How To Hold The Pick – Lesson 4

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    I figured this would be the best place to ask this question (hopefully)

So, I do in fact hold my pick this way for virtually everything I do.

but, I find, when I am playing my acoustic using open chords, its difficult. the pick seems to slip out of my fingers or will literally move around until I'm playing with the pack of the pick lol (I don't have this issue when I'm doing other things) so wasn't sure if it was due to holding this way, or the pick I'm using itself, because obviously I use a different pick for my acoustic than I do my electric. I do tend to like a looser grip when I'm strumming on my acoustic so that may be some of it, but even when I make a conscious effort to hold more firmly, I still have this issue.. does anyone have any thoughts on this ?

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen

but, I find, when I am playing my acoustic using open chords, its difficult. the pick seems to slip out of my fingers or will literally move around until I'm playing with the pack of the pick lol (I don't have this issue when I'm doing other things) so wasn't sure if it was due to holding this way, or the pick I'm using itself, because obviously I use a different pick for my acoustic than I do my electric. I do tend to like a looser grip when I'm strumming on my acoustic so that may be some of it, but even when I make a conscious effort to hold more firmly, I still have this issue.. does anyone have any thoughts on this ?
    I change the way I hold my pick depending on what I play. For example, when I do fast picking stuff I'll hold my pick the way it's shown here. When I then strum or play gypsy jazz it may change a little bit depending on what's comfortable to do what I want to do. Sometimes I play without a pick whatsoever, look up videos of Marty Friedman playing and you'll realize that it's very much about what's comfortable for you and not so much a rulebook or whatever.

• Love
    Reactions: Alicia Willis

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    I change the way I hold my pick depending on what I play. For example, when I do fast picking stuff I'll hold my pick the way it's shown here. When I then strum or play gypsy jazz it may change a little bit depending on what's comfortable to do what I want to do. Sometimes I play without a pick whatsoever, look up videos of Marty Friedman playing and you'll realize that it's very much about what's comfortable for you and not so much a rulebook or whatever.
    Thanks ids ! I guess I just need to try some different things lol. I think it’s hard now because I just automatically go to hold it this way, since I’ve always done it like this lol

Reactions: idssdi
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Saoirse Byrne

Campfire Attention Holder
    Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    I held my pick “wrong” for 12 years 😂 I only realised there was a right way to hold it after watching this lesson, then I immediately changed it. It was awkward at first but that was a year ago now and it feels completely natural now. I’ve noticed my playing is less sloppy and easier to pick up speed since changing.

• Love
    Reactions: Shiiji Gates

Kim

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Very good and helpfull lesson for me. I used to hold the pick wrong for over a year and changed it few months ago, at same time I changed my hand (pinky used to rest on guitar). What helped me changing it, was to play stuff that was easy for me and then get used to how to hold the pick. After 1 week it got better and now it feels weird to play like I used to do.

Reactions: Christian Schulze

ari.mac

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 16, 2020
    Italy

this is what happens to me too (but with the electric)!!!

Reactions: Alicia Willis

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Hey
    What about angle of the pick?

Ideally you want the pick to strike the string at a slight angle, but EXACTLY what angle will be up to you, and may change from style to style. It's about finding the tone you seek with your pick. But a slight angle (not flat pick against string) will generally allow for faster picking overall.

J. Vader

Campfire Attention Holder
    Oct 29, 2021
    Ranson, WV
    I have struggled for about 20 years to be able to do those quick successive alternate picks, like when playing Crazy Train, in that part when you play the A string 3x muted and strum the chords in succession, I could never get it. I tried it with this pick position, and got it with ease. My pick always got hung up when I tried to upstroke quickly. This is the stuff you miss when you just teach yourself and never have someone teach you the basics properly.