• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

How to move across 7 major scale shapes?

Aman Singh

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Hi guys, I have finally memorized all the 7 major scale shapes.
But, I’m having issues moving around the shapes over fretboard. If I just play the scale shape then I can play it properly, but if I try to move around the I always forget which shape was supposed to be there?
Any tips on how to overcome this?

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
What I would recommend is dont think I. Shapes when you’re soloing, think in notes and where you can find the note you’re looking for(yes these are the notes you’re looking for). Notes make the solo, the shape usually doesn’t (I mean stairway To heaven is pretty much all over the neck). Try to get yourself accustomed to thinking about the notes you’re looking for instead of the shapes you’re looking for and it may actually be easier! This doesn’t count for chords btw, with chords inversion and shapes can make it sound completely different.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Ids has a very good point. That’s honestly all I think about. Where do I want to go. And from where. How I get there tends to be the same patterns but ad you get through the lessons here your paths will start taking unique turns. Like going up and down rather then side to side.