• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

How to perfect playing a song to play live

Kat the metalhead

Music Theory Bragger
  • Jan 20, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Ok the tittle is a mess :ROFLMAO: but what im trying to say is how do I get to the point where I can play a song or solo in front of people with ease or without really thinking

As most of you know I’m working on the bat country solo and I can play the beginning part at almost full speed but I can’t seem to play it in front of my parents or guitar teacher but I can play it by myself or record a vid of me playing.

does anyone have any tips or ways to practice so I can get to the point of playing live or for others? I obviously know I have to practice it like crazy but it seems as if I’m not improving at the part of playing for others

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Playing in front of people is something you need to get used to. And the funny thing is, there could be things you can play alone OR on stage in front of an audience (where adrenaline makes up for nerves) that you STILL can't play in front of your mum or your mates.

The only thing that strikes more fear than playing in the music store is when your bud says "play for me, monkey. Impress me."

But it starts with being able to play it on autopilot. When you can play something and not have to think about "this finger on this string, aaaaand PICK" then it's a piece you can just sit down and play in almost any situation. At that point, it's just a matter of getting it done to settle your insecurities.

• Love
    Reactions: Kat the metalhead

Muz Malek

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Singapore
    www.instagram.com
    Ok the tittle is a mess :ROFLMAO: but what im trying to say is how do I get to the point where I can play a song or solo in front of people with ease or without really thinking

As most of you know I’m working on the bat country solo and I can play the beginning part at almost full speed but I can’t seem to play it in front of my parents or guitar teacher but I can play it by myself or record a vid of me playing.

does anyone have any tips or ways to practice so I can get to the point of playing live or for others? I obviously know I have to practice it like crazy but it seems as if I’m not improving at the part of playing for others
    You gotta do it more and more :)

I used to have stage fright, but because I wanted to express my passion for playing guitar, that motivated me to push myself to go up there and it worked wonders. Sure, mess ups happen, but the more you do it, the more you get comfortable ;)

No one else but yourself can push you to do what you want.

Cheers! :rock-hand:

Last edited:

Kat the metalhead

Music Theory Bragger
  • Jan 20, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Sadly I got no places I could go up on stage and perform at. There’s a metal jam night at a club I go to but the last 2 times I went they wouldn’t let me go up because there was 12 yr old that played iron maiden and they let him have a mini show and the other time there was this crazy shredder so I couldn’t go :(

Muz Malek

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Singapore
    www.instagram.com
    Sadly I got no places I could go up on stage and perform at. There’s a metal jam night at a club I go to but the last 2 times I went they wouldn’t let me go up because there was 12 yr old that played iron maiden and they let him have a mini show and the other time there was this crazy shredder so I couldn’t go :(
    Keep searching, keep practicing as well ;) As long as you put your mind to it, you'll get there! Patience is key!

In this day & age of social media, your portfolio/reputation also depends on it :)

• Love

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019

Keep doing it. The nerves will go away

• Love
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Go live on instagram or twitch. You'll get viewers even when you don't realize or see them

• Love