• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

How to play with a drummer

Al7eX

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Apr 16, 2022
I’ve been recently trying to play with drum tracks and every time it comes out pretty crappy. I’ve asked a few musicians I know and the answer was to play with a metronome and tap my feet when I play. That helped staying on time (of course) but my riffs don’t really work well with the drummer even playing on time. Can I get some ideas or help on how to do this? Thanks.

Solution
As both a drummer and guitarist myself, I can say I like what William said about listen to the kick and snare. One of them / if not both are fairly prominent and are a good reference for the timing. Also the advice on tapping your foot is great help as well. Just moving your body with the beat can help greatly like bobbing your head.
Also if possible, it can really help to slow down the track if that’s possible, which gives you more breathing room to find that groove that matches the drum track beat

Jeremy Healey

Hot Topic Tourer
Legend+
Legend
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Newfoundland and Labrador
    As both a drummer and guitarist myself, I can say I like what William said about listen to the kick and snare. One of them / if not both are fairly prominent and are a good reference for the timing. Also the advice on tapping your foot is great help as well. Just moving your body with the beat can help greatly like bobbing your head.
    Also if possible, it can really help to slow down the track if that’s possible, which gives you more breathing room to find that groove that matches the drum track beat

Upvote 0
    Solution