• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

How to record with an audio interface

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    Hey guys !

So with the collab going on, I’m trying desperately to figure out how to record with an audio interface.

How do I record sound and audio. Can I do both at the same time or will I have to do them separately ?

we have one but I’ve never recorded with it.

I have a MacBook, Focusrite 2i2, and Reaper digital audio workstation.

I’m not tech savvy so y’all, use simple words with me please 🤣

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    So, in Reaper, you can drag and drop the existing audio mp3 into the tracking area and it will create it as a new stereo track. If that doesn't work, you may need to "import media" or something, but that's what you want - track 1 will be a stereo track consisting of your backing track. Then add a new instrument/audio track and ensure that your interface is the input, and you should be golden when you hit record. If you can't figure it out from there, I can do a quick vid for you to show you (and others) how to get this going. Let me know!

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    So, in Reaper, you can drag and drop the existing audio mp3 into the tracking area and it will create it as a new stereo track. If that doesn't work, you may need to "import media" or something, but that's what you want - track 1 will be a stereo track consisting of your backing track. Then add a new instrument/audio track and ensure that your interface is the input, and you should be golden when you hit record. If you can't figure it out from there, I can do a quick vid for you to show you (and others) how to get this going. Let me know!
    Thanks Ed ! You make it sound simple enough !
    can I record video as I’m playing it though or do I have to do both separately ? Ive seen some videos where people talk about recording their audio, and then record them playing it (with no audio) and put the pre-recorded audio over the video and that just sounds too damn complicated for me to be able to sync them up 100% lol

Reactions: Csgozzo91

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Also, If it wouldn’t be too much of an inconvenience, I know I’d personally benefit from a video. I’m more of a visual learner anyways.
    I’m sure others on the site would benefit from it too. 😁

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Thanks Ed ! You make it sound simple enough !
    can I record video as I’m playing it though or do I have to do both separately ? Ive seen some videos where people talk about recording their audio, and then record them playing it (with no audio) and put the pre-recorded audio over the video and that just sounds too damn complicated for me to be able to sync them up 100% lol

Yes, as long as the video source is attached to the computer (i.e. webcam). You CAN import an external video source, but I'm not going into how to get them to sync - that's something you kind of need to work out on your own.

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Yes, as long as the video source is attached to the computer (i.e. webcam). You CAN import an external video source, but I'm not going into how to get them to sync - that's something you kind of need to work out on your own.
    Gotcha. I’m going to play around with it tomorrow and see what I can do lol. I’ve only used the thing once and didn’t really care for it to be honest. The hubs bought it to be able to get different tones and what not And it was cool but I just prefer plugging up to my tube amp ( love the sound a of a tube amp) and never messed with the interface ever again. Lol
    But, I know I need the interface to record quality audio so I’m like meh....I gotta use the thing now 🤣

Saoirse Byrne

Campfire Attention Holder
    Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    I have a scarlett 2i2 as well and I’ve used it with reaper before (mainly use ableton tho). It’s pretty easy, make sure you have the drivers installed and then select it in reapers preferences as what you’d like to use to record. Then import your backing track and record your guitar.
    Personally I use my phone to record video (i do it at the same time I’m recording audio, then they will sync perfectly) and use video editing software to sync the waveforms of the phone video with the properly recorded audio. You can do this manually by making the peaks match up or some software has an auto sync feature.
    good luck!

Csgozzo91

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Apr 10, 2020
    Madrid, Spain.
    That's right, both what @Ed Seith says and what @Saoirse Byrne says is the right way. I have recently started doing it to improve video and audio quality. I follow the steps of Ed, with the difference that I record the video with the phone separately, which implies simultaneously recording audio and video (click record audio + click record video). In Reaper, I use some free VST to emulate the pedals and amp. And then I use Shotcut to edit the video, I import the audio from Reaper and the video from my mobile and then I match them, you will see intuitively how the audios match (Reaper digital audio and phone video audio). Then I add more creativity to it by adding things of personal taste, such as texts and others and that's it. I'll not lie to you, it's an extra job that takes time. But it's worth it. One tip to improve video quality is to make sure that the video quality setting is Full HD and record horizontally. I will leave you a couple of videos that helped me in a short time to improve. I'm new to this but it's a very enjoyable way to learn and to experience. That's my way, and there are many different ways, so I keep learning until I'm comfortable with my own workflow (create your own workflow). And for last save every change, every move that you do with all the Softwares, import, cut, edit, sometimes when the project increases it could be dangerous, for that reason save every step.

(Reaper: 12:03 minutes)

(VST: 3:44 minutes)

(Shotcut: 13:34 minutes)

I hope I have been able to help. Good luck!

Synner Endless Summer Collection