• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

How to train little finger?

Dysaster

Garage band Groupie
Oct 8, 2022
Velikiy Novgorod
Hello everyone! I've been playing guitar for almost 5 years, but recently started to use pinky finger(because all guitarists i inspire playing with it). But i have a problem with all of my fingers - they all a little bit curved, especially pinky. I saw how Syn play with his pinky independently of his ring finger. What advices can you tell me about training pinky to play independently of ring finger?

Matt Wildcat

The Fierce Deity
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    Hey there! Totally understand the struggle, I did the same thing for several years because I had tiny weak hands and just couldn't manage it lol. About a year or two ago, I was taught this "Spider Exercise" by my teacher and found it super helpful for both finger strength and independence, so I thought I'd share it with you in hopes that it will help! One finger per fret, so 1st finger on fret 1 and so on, and work to a metronome. Repeat each section twice, and you can go both up and down with this. Then pick up speed when you can play it comfortably and whilst making sure you don't cut the notes off (like I do all the time LOL). Enjoy!

spider exercise.JPG

Upvote 0

Javier Wienarjati

Campfire Attention Holder
    Dec 7, 2021
    Indonesia
    www.instagram.com
    Upvote 0

Javier Wienarjati

Dec 7, 2021
    Indonesia
    www.instagram.com
    Popping in to watch the thread because my pinky has been the bane of my playing for years 🤪
    It's the bane of my playing too. If I dont use my pinky, i will be :
    a. Asked to start the song all over again by my teacher. OR
    b. Getting yelled by my mom.
    😆😆

Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

JakAngelescu

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Aug 12, 2022
    That spider exercise sucks so badly. My brain turns to scrambled eggs trying to even attempt it😂

If you can look up Permutations, I would also add this as a tip. Pick ONE that challenges your pinky and do it for 3 minutes. Take a minute break, stretch your hands out and increase the tempo by only one bpm. Do this for at least 20 minutes a day. I know it sounds long and boring but practicing the small tedious stuff for an eternity really pays off for overall skill.

Good luck!

• Love
    Reactions: Javier Wienarjati
    Upvote 0

JakAngelescu

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Aug 12, 2022
    Hey there! Totally understand the struggle, I did the same thing for several years because I had tiny weak hands and just couldn't manage it lol. About a year or two ago, I was taught this "Spider Exercise" by my teacher and found it super helpful for both finger strength and independence, so I thought I'd share it with you in hopes that it will help! One finger per fret, so 1st finger on fret 1 and so on, and work to a metronome. Repeat each section twice, and you can go both up and down with this. Then pick up speed when you can play it comfortably and whilst making sure you don't cut the notes off (like I do all the time LOL). Enjoy!

View attachment 3296
    You, my dear, do not have small hands😂

• Haha
    Reactions: Matt Wildcat
    Upvote 0

Javier Wienarjati

Dec 7, 2021
    Indonesia
    www.instagram.com
    Maybe not now, but going back about 10 years I did 😂😂😂😂
    My mom saw your last media vid (from IG?) when I was scrolling this app. Then she said, "That's the best pinky movement! Learn from your friend how to do it.". So the answer of @JakAngelescu question is the B option. Nobody wants to get mom's wrath.😂

Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Matt Wildcat

The Fierce Deity
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    My mom saw your last media vid (from IG?) when I was scrolling this app. Then she said, "That's the best pinky movement! Learn from your friend how to do it.". So the answer of @JakAngelescu question is the B option. Nobody wants to get mom's wrath.😂
    I'm gonna take that as a badge of honour, considering I'm constantly worrying about it 😂

• Love
    Reactions: Javier Wienarjati
    Upvote 0

Ian _Invader

Music Theory Bragger
  • Feb 5, 2021
    Schoolcraft Michigan
    Hello everyone! I've been playing guitar for almost 5 years, but recently started to use pinky finger(because all guitarists i inspire playing with it). But i have a problem with all of my fingers - they all a little bit curved, especially pinky. I saw how Syn play with his pinky independently of his ring finger. What advices can you tell me about training pinky to play independently of ring finger?
    Just use your pinky individually and practice along with backing tracks using only your pinky. It will take time but not too long. Then work on integration.

Reactions: William B.
    Upvote 0

Syxguns

One Stringer
  • Feb 8, 2023
    Houston, Texas
    @sydyous
    The pinky finger is almost a nightmare for every guitarist. I follow certain principles of guitar playing that others do not follow. Most importantly on finger position. I play with the intended finger (the pinky) instead of using a slide to hit the not with the ring finger. It is difficult until you practice it. So how do you go about building strength and dexterity in the pinky?

First and foremost you stretch. I found a video that has some of the stretchings that I do, as well as a couple more.

Then I have an exercise pattern that I follow to help with stretching and playing notes cleanly. In the tabs I post below please read the instructions at the bottom of the page for clarity. For example position 5 on the neck is played with the pointer finger always. I have for you the 2nd finger, 3rd finger, and pinky finger exercises.

Do stretching and then follow the exercise as a warm-up routine. Pay special attention to the pinky finger as it will most likely be the hardest to keep a clean sound.

On top of that, all the exercises are on the 1st string of the guitar. When you get comfortable with the first string, move to the 2nd string. Slowly work your way up the strings. The reason for this is as you will find, your thumb position will change on the back of the guitar. The 6th string on an acoustic guitar I can play but not with any real strength in my pinky.

Different styles of guitar have different fret positioning, different neck widths, as well as other features. If you need to adjust to a more comfortable fret to play then do so. Remember that it is not supposed to be easy, you are forcing your fingers to stretch and gain strength.

Let me know how this works for you.

stretch_exercise_2nd_finger.png

stretch_exercise_3rd_finger.png

stretch_exercise_pinky.png

Upvote 0