• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

how to tune octaves

Possessed Sinner

Free Bird Player
Apr 6, 2021
Czech Republic
Hi,
I have a little problem. I heard that if you want to play at high frets, it's better to tune octaves. Well I know that the sound must be the same when you play 12th fret and harmonics at 12th fret. I cleaned my guitar (Cort KX100 BKM) and put new strings. Now, harmonics and 12th fret sounds the same, but I think, that it doesn't have tuned octaves properly. Does someone have any ideas or know some apps, that can help me to tune it properly? Well I can hear little difference when I play a note and band it little bit.
Thanks for every idea and help.

Reactions: Ezequiel Romanko

Adin Shepherd

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Melbourne, Australia
I am assuming you are talking about setting the intonation? If you are, it's a little more involved than a clean and string change, there are heaps of video tutorials out there that will walk you through the process though.

As for tuners, if you are looking for free app types, while I have heard good things about guitartuna, I use the BOSS tuner when I don't have my clip-on handy.

Reactions: Ed Seith
Upvote 0

Possessed Sinner

Free Bird Player
Apr 6, 2021
Czech Republic
What you need is intonate your guitar, this is a bit tricky, so im gonna share a video with you

i hope this fixs your problem, I know what you're talking about but in spanish is called different, but i think this is the solution. so let me know if this video is helpful to you :)
thanks, now it helped me. I didn't know how it's called in English so I translated it from czech, where it's called tuning octaves.

Reactions: Alicia Willis
Upvote 0

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    thanks, now it helped me. I didn't know how it's called in English so I translated it from czech, where it's called tuning octaves.
    "intonace" in czech - it is minor adjustment to overall length of the string so that the 12th fret note and 12th fret harmonic ring the exact same note.

Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ezequiel Romanko

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Argentina
    Yeah i didn't knew either it was called this way, in Argentina is called "calibrate". is fun how the same thing has different names depending of the country

Reactions: Ed Seith
    Upvote 0