• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

How To Tune Your Guitar – Lesson 3

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    in this lesson we learned the standard A440 tuning which is E A D G B E. ways you can tune are: on the E A D and B strings hit the fifth fret and the next string. on the G string, hit the fourth fret.
    I See you are having fun with the lessons. That's awesome!
    But you might want to use that Methode more as a way to check if you are in tune ;) it's also a great ear training but you might still want a tuner at hand

Synner Endless Summer Collection

TheBakerman247

New Student
    Jul 14, 2020
    Kentucky, USA
    This is a tuning method I picked up way too late. I was always too reliant on tuners and was finding that even after tuning up, the guitar just didn't sound together.

Doing it this way is the way to ensure all the strings are on the same wavelength, and I think it's great for ear training and fine-tuning adjustments, and later on some note recognition.

I also see a lot of new guitarists tuning down or up just to hit the note on the tuner. I was always taught if you needed to flatten the note to go past the target and then come back up to it so that the string binds tighter and it stays on pitch. I also see a lot of guitarists who settle on "close enough" to the tuned note, but 1 note on the guitar might be close and a little flat, and 1 might be close but a little sharp, which creates a larger gap in context. If I have to sacrifice, I try to go just slightly sharp on everything.

chris_is_cool

Hot Topic Tourer
    Apr 18, 2020
    Cologne, Germany
    I have always had the question, how to tune the guitar if my sixth string isn't tuned? Or even the first as Rios1128 mentioned?
    You will have to tune one string to a reference pitch. For example, the A on the 5th fret of the high e string should be tuned to 440 Hz:

This is also the pitch that is created by a common tuning fork.

Unless you have perfect pitch or perfect pitch memory, it is not possible to tune it without any reference.

Reactions: magv89

magv89

Free Bird Player
    Feb 6, 2021
    Mexico City
    You will have to tune one string to a reference pitch. For example, the A on the 5th fret of the high e string should be tuned to 440 Hz:

This is also the pitch that is created by a common tuning fork.

Unless you have perfect pitch or perfect pitch memory, it is not possible to tune it without any reference.
    Thanks Chris!

Reactions: chris_is_cool

J. Vader

Campfire Attention Holder
    Oct 29, 2021
    Ranson, WV
    I found that if I have a guitar that is a good bit out of tune, I will need to run through tuning the strings a few times over because the tension increases from the bridge to the nut overall, which will pull the low E out. It's also quite a challenge if I'm changing strings to a different weight on my guitar with the floating bridge because I will need to adjust the bridge spring tension to get the string action just right. It's probably all in a later lesson. I created a bit of a monster for myself when I bought this guitar, but it just sounds so gooooood.

Synner Endless Summer Collection