• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

I am struggling with knowing how my song would be perceived. Can anyone offer reassurance about this song?

Andrew Fernandes

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
London
www.youtube.com
This is the song I think I am concerned about the mixing it's just hard as I making with a charity so it's hard to have the most time to get the mixing precise. Also Whenever I go to the studio to record I have a 1-hour slot to record aspects of the song also singing so can feel quite pressured to get it right and have only 12 sessions. I guess I work slow. I know there are vocals that are pitchy and some tonality issues. I do have belief in my ability in singing, it's just hard to get the best takes in an hour slot without a warm-up, etc. I most likely can not make any vast changes.
Was just hoping I was being a pessimist about the song and perhaps someone could reassure me, that it's not all doom and gloom. The charity has been great to me it's a record label for artists with mental health. As I am someone who suffers from this. I do love the song but I am taking it with care to want it to be proficient and to be well satisfied with it.
My other song has not been mixed and I am more confident about it. If you wanna check that one out it's below. The songs are unreleased. So hard making music not knowing how people will perceive it. Thanks for reading.

Andrew Fernandes

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
London
www.youtube.com
If I was mixing it, I'd make the drums a bit louder, and I'd probably add some compression on the master buss and some reverb on the guitar parts to help them sit better. Some of the vocals have a very David Bowie feel to them, which is a cool vibe.
Thanks for your comment. I have very limited time on my songs and do not have the project files. Someone else said the same thing about David Bowie that's interesting thanks for the insight :)

Reactions: Ed Seith

Andrew Fernandes

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
London
www.youtube.com
I enjoyed it very much, the second I think I heard it before but this time it's slightly different?
Yh just checked my profile I did put it on here, sorry. Wow, my memory is so bad. I'm gonna go back check that post. I just wanted to put the "faith left my heart" as a reference as I was insecure about my vocals on "all alone". I do remember putting my other song "Thunder" on here totally forgot about "faith left my heart". Thanks for telling me by the way I feel guilty. My bad.

Reactions: William B.
Synner Endless Summer Collection

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
This is the song I think I am concerned about the mixing it's just hard as I making with a charity so it's hard to have the most time to get the mixing precise. Also Whenever I go to the studio to record I have a 1-hour slot to record aspects of the song also singing so can feel quite pressured to get it right and have only 12 sessions. I guess I work slow. I know there are vocals that are pitchy and some tonality issues. I do have belief in my ability in singing, it's just hard to get the best takes in an hour slot without a warm-up, etc. I most likely can not make any vast changes.
Was just hoping I was being a pessimist about the song and perhaps someone could reassure me, that it's not all doom and gloom. The charity has been great to me it's a record label for artists with mental health. As I am someone who suffers from this. I do love the song but I am taking it with care to want it to be proficient and to be well satisfied with it.
My other song has not been mixed and I am more confident about it. If you wanna check that one out it's below. The songs are unreleased. So hard making music not knowing how people will perceive it. Thanks for reading.
Personally I never really try to do too many vocal takes.. this is because you end up trying too hard and the natural tone sort of vanishes. I dont know if you are aiming for notes or free basing it but either way I find your first few takes end up the best ones.

Reactions: William B.

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Personally I never really try to do too many vocal takes.. this is because you end up trying too hard and the natural tone sort of vanishes. I dont know if you are aiming for notes or free basing it but either way I find your first few takes end up the best ones.
    I've been getting this too after a few tries seems like I lose it and if I don't record anything I'll forget a lot
    to get the best takes in an hour slot without a warm-up, etc.
    maybe try do the warmups for pre guitar and vocals too whenever you can and than you know you did it

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Yeah I honestly free based vocals for the first 5 sets of songs I wrote. The latest set I played the melodies out on piano first and aimed for those notes.

Either way I found every take I did was always different..I imagine if I sang live itd be slightly different depending on my moods.

I try to record and keep my best take mute it and redo another. I imagine in studio they want perfect cuts but eventually you gotta ask yourself if what you're actually singing the better melody since you sing it naturally instead of what you wanted.

Andrew Fernandes

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    London
    www.youtube.com
    Yeah I honestly free based vocals for the first 5 sets of songs I wrote. The latest set I played the melodies out on piano first and aimed for those notes.

Either way I found every take I did was always different..I imagine if I sang live itd be slightly different depending on my moods.

I try to record and keep my best take mute it and redo another. I imagine in studio they want perfect cuts but eventually you gotta ask yourself if what you're actually singing the better melody since you sing it naturally instead of what you wanted.
    I normally mutter the melodies but the melodies changes because the words may have different syllables and I kinda do it from memory and sometimes Whilst I'm singing I improvise. I don't know the craft of singing like great but I can sing somewhat can get really flukey my main issue is my tonality on the highs.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Andrew Milner

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    andreilucianmoraru.com
    Hmm, so the drums do tend to get drowned into the mix a little bit. Might want to up their level by like 1-2dB in certain places. Don't overdo it though otherwise, they'll be too overpowering.

The vocals seem to either lack compression or simply need a bit more. There's a big difference between the more silent notes and the louder ones and, at least on headphones, it felt a little unpleasant on medium volumes. I don't know what ratio you're using, but try raising it by like 1 or 2 (so if it's 5:1 now, try 6:1 or 7:1).

Guitars feel alright. Maybe a tad more reverb on the lead/solo guitar parts and some delay to taste if you like.

Reactions: Andrew Fernandes

Andrew Fernandes

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    London
    www.youtube.com
    Hmm, so the drums do tend to get drowned into the mix a little bit. Might want to up their level by like 1-2dB in certain places. Don't overdo it though otherwise, they'll be too overpowering.

The vocals seem to either lack compression or simply need a bit more. There's a big difference between the more silent notes and the louder ones and, at least on headphones, it felt a little unpleasant on medium volumes. I don't know what ratio you're using, but try raising it by like 1 or 2 (so if it's 5:1 now, try 6:1 or 7:1).

Guitars feel alright. Maybe a tad more reverb on the lead/solo guitar parts and some delay to taste if you like.
    Hi thanks, yeah I can't change it, I work with a charity that offers music services to artists with mental health. So their mixing time is quite limited. I was just hoping the song would be ok quite coherent. Hopefully, it will be enjoyable to listen hehe. I also ask on here because the charity is very yes men they say everything is great, I guess they can't hurt some of our feelings. Thanks for your comment though :)

Reactions: Andrew Milner

Andrew Milner

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    andreilucianmoraru.com
    Hi thanks, yeah I can't change it, I work with a charity that offers music services to artists with mental health. So their mixing time is quite limited. I was just hoping the song would be ok quite coherent. Hopefully, it will be enjoyable to listen hehe. I also ask on here because the charity is very yes men they say everything is great, I guess they can't hurt some of our feelings. Thanks for your comment though :)
    I mean don't get me wrong, the song itself is alright and sounds good for the ear overall.

Having been knee-deep in mixing this last year I have started to hear stuff like this easier. What I mentioned is not song breaking or anything, just sone small stuff that, should the mixing person have had the time, could have been improved. So don't worry too much about it :D.