• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

I bought the bass used on A7X's Self Titled album

Awex Came

Campfire Attention Holder
Legend
May 23, 2021
A slight continuation of my previous thread. I bought the bass that was used on Avenged Sevenfold's self titled "Avenged Sevenfold" album from none other than Fred Archambault who engineered the album and guided the band as they self produced it. It's an Ernie Ball Music Man Sterling 4 HH model, NOT to be confused with the "Sterling by Music Man" brand which is made overseas. This was made in San Luis Obispo, California, USA as all EBMM instruments are. Ernie Ball Music Man is known for their top tier basses, used by some of the biggest artists in the world. Johnny Christ was using EBMM for quite a while before he had his Schecter signature bass.

This bass was made on December 7th, 2006. It features an unfinished Maple Neck with Maple Fretboard Matching Headstock, 2 Ceramic Humbucking Pickups, 3 Band EQ Active Preamp, Chrome Hardware, and a compensated Nut.

I was waiting to post this so that I could get some clarification from Fred, but he's a busy man.

IMG_1695.jpg
IMG_1696.jpg
IMG_1697.jpg
IMG_1698.jpg
IMG_1699.jpg
IMG_1700.jpg

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    This item was graced by our lord and savior JC... to quote Doctor Jones: IT BELONGS IN A MUSEUM!!!

All jokes aside, reaaaally cool item. I am going to go ahead and assume that it plays like a dream!? I was always curious about Johnny and Ernie Balls. He seemed to have had a lot of models with them but they never released a signature model. I would love the one he used during the nightmare era with the graphic on it!

Anyways, as usual, amazing post dude! Thanks for sharing these!

Awex Came

Legend
    May 23, 2021
    This item was graced by our lord and savior JC... to quote Doctor Jones: IT BELONGS IN A MUSEUM!!!

All jokes aside, reaaaally cool item. I am going to go ahead and assume that it plays like a dream!? I was always curious about Johnny and Ernie Balls. He seemed to have had a lot of models with them but they never released a signature model. I would love the one he used during the nightmare era with the graphic on it!

Anyways, as usual, amazing post dude! Thanks for sharing these!
    If you look reallllllllllllly closely, you can still see some of JC’s tears on it. Legend has it, he was crying because he should’ve chose guitar instead

Yeah dude this thing is nice. This is the nicest bass I own, my others are cheaper/midrange Ibanez and Schecters so it’s a big step up. Ernie Ball just knows how to do it. There’s a nice high end to the tone even when you’re not plugged in. The action is a hair too high for my taste but that can be adjusted. I remember that Nightmare era bass too, that would be really cool. I’m actually sorta interested in the Schecter signature because of the EMG 81, that was a really good idea

No problem dude, I’m glad you guys like them

I died and went to heaven to meet our lord & savior a few weeks ago. I told him about the bass. He said “Fred should give me a cut of the money”.

DE782E85-3284-4E45-B808-4EDA07788982.jpeg

Matt Wildcat

The Fierce Deity
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    Oh hell yeah man, that's incredible!! Thank you for sharing all of this stuff with us, it's really cool to hear more about the stuff the guys actually used and all the specs (not that I know much about specs, but I'm learning lol)! Now if you don't mind, I'm off to go and dream about owning a little piece of A7X history like that :ROFLMAO:

🤘 💀 🤘

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    If you look reallllllllllllly closely, you can still see some of JC’s tears on it. Legend has it, he was crying because he should’ve chose guitar instead

Yeah dude this thing is nice. This is the nicest bass I own, my others are cheaper/midrange Ibanez and Schecters so it’s a big step up. Ernie Ball just knows how to do it. There’s a nice high end to the tone even when you’re not plugged in. The action is a hair too high for my taste but that can be adjusted. I remember that Nightmare era bass too, that would be really cool. I’m actually sorta interested in the Schecter signature because of the EMG 81, that was a really good idea

No problem dude, I’m glad you guys like them

I died and went to heaven to meet our lord & savior a few weeks ago. I told him about the bass. He said “Fred should give me a cut of the money”.

View attachment 1716
    Hahahahaha fuckin killed me with the tears :ROFLMAO: Oh well, he can always go with a 6 string bass...

But yeah, I actually do own the Schecter sig and it's fucking great. The guitar pickup really adds a versatility to it and it sounds great and feels great too. I literally have nothing bad to say about it. I would recommend it.

I'm reeaaaally jealous. Perhaps one day I will get to meet the greatest member of Avenged.... Also, im curious about the background setting. Doesn't he do his podcasts at his place? It looks like his background is a giant poster

Awex Came

Legend
    May 23, 2021
    Oh hell yeah man, that's incredible!! Thank you for sharing all of this stuff with us, it's really cool to hear more about the stuff the guys actually used and all the specs (not that I know much about specs, but I'm learning lol)! Now if you don't mind, I'm off to go and dream about owning a little piece of A7X history like that :ROFLMAO:

🤘 💀 🤘
    I always love to share this kinda stuff on here, i know people are interested in it and we get to have a special look behind the scenes of our favorite albums and songs. I’m not too into exact specs either, but it could give some insight as to what makes it special or why they chose it. Maybe one day you will own a piece!

• Love
    Reactions: Matt Wildcat
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Awex Came

Legend
    May 23, 2021
    Hahahahaha fuckin killed me with the tears :ROFLMAO: Oh well, he can always go with a 6 string bass...

But yeah, I actually do own the Schecter sig and it's fucking great. The guitar pickup really adds a versatility to it and it sounds great and feels great too. I literally have nothing bad to say about it. I would recommend it.

I'm reeaaaally jealous. Perhaps one day I will get to meet the greatest member of Avenged.... Also, im curious about the background setting. Doesn't he do his podcasts at his place? It looks like his background is a giant poster
    That’s awesome, I hope to play one sometime soon. Weirdly enough though, I noticed the 5 string version doesnt have the EMG. At least on Johnny’s webstore

This was taken at a brewery in Huntington Beach for an event where Johnny released his special beer to tie in with his podcast. That’s just a backdrop behind us to look like his set. Syn was there as well to show support to the lord & savior

Reactions: Ed Seith

Matt Wildcat

The Fierce Deity
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    I always love to share this kinda stuff on here, i know people are interested in it and we get to have a special look behind the scenes of our favorite albums and songs. I’m not too into exact specs either, but it could give some insight as to what makes it special or why they chose it. Maybe one day you will own a piece!
    Hell yeah man, I love it! It's not something you get to really see too often, and the insight into their history and their gear choices is really cool! And I hope so one day, but who knows 😂

redlipsofdeceit

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Contest Winner!
  • Oct 21, 2020
    Brazil
    www.instagram.com
    Also, im curious about the background setting. Doesn't he do his podcasts at his place? It looks like his background is a giant poster
    Pfff, what kind of JC fan are you if you don't even know it was at his beer release party?!?!?! Shame on you!!!

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    That’s awesome, I hope to play one sometime soon. Weirdly enough though, I noticed the 5 string version doesnt have the EMG. At least on Johnny’s webstore

This was taken at a brewery in Huntington Beach for an event where Johnny released his special beer to tie in with his podcast. That’s just a backdrop behind us to look like his set. Syn was there as well to show support to the lord & savior
    Yeah no the 5 string has EMG P5... I guess maybe they couldn't have an EMG 81 sized up for 5 strings? We'd have to ask him directly

Haaaa didn't know about that! Congrats to him!! Sounds like a fucking good time!

Awex Came

Legend
    May 23, 2021
    This is so awesome, dude! It's not everyday that we get the opportunity to know more about the behind the scenes stuff. Really appreciate your posts!
    Also, you've met the leader of Avenged Sevenfold! What an honor! 🤩 I'm curious to know: did you get to talk to Syn there as well?
    No problem! I did get to talk to Syn, fortunately. He was super nice and personable, like the rest of his family. Definitely a great experience!

• Love
    Reactions: redlipsofdeceit