• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

I feel demotivated playing the guitar

Byron Arteaga

Free Bird Player
Dec 22, 2019
Ecuador
Hi friends, when I was young I used to play guitar a lot, because I wanted to play songs from my idols. Today I'm able to play songs that I used to like. I know I'm not like Synyster Gates, but I'm feeling happy at the level that I'm at.
Recently I entered university to become a lawyer and I feel that it doesn't make sense to keep playing guitar because, sometime I feel that I'm just wasting my time instead of studying books about my career I think would be more useful in my professional life. So it is a waste of time to keep playing guitar if I'm studying for a career, or how can I keep up my motivation of playing guitar?

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Hey Byron!

Alright so everything I'll say is a matter of my own opinion and perspective.

The hard truth is that you have to find your motivation within you because no one will truly ever force you to play guitar. I understand where you are at but from the way i am reading your message, you pretty much feel like you have to give both your law degree and guitar the same amount of attention when you really don't.

Clearly for you guitar is just a hobby and it's not something that you want to pursue in a more serious manner because you obviously seem to have find your professional calling. And so, just play guitar for fun. Don't take it as a burden. Don't force yourself to learn theory or scales or whatever because you feel that that's what ''guitarist must do''. No, there is no clear path, it's always has been to each their own depending on anyone's goal.

You are happy with the level you are at? Then keep at it. Play whatever you want to play. Pick up the guitar just to play a couple songs you like and call it a day! At the end of the day, do what makes you happy! Perhaps you lost your motivation at guitar because you look at it as if you have to treat it as seriously as law but instead I suggest you to switch perspective and to look at guitar as just something you do in your downtime and so play on it what makes YOU happy. You are not bound by any standards but your own!

True real long standing motivation must come from within and to reach that point, you simply have to go for what you look for. For what you want and ultimately, what makes you happy. So go and spend hours studying law because that will take A LOT of time but, if you have some downtime, just pick up the instrument and jam along a couple song...

And at the end of the day, you'll always be welcome in this community no matter how many hours of guitar you play.

Cheers! :rock-hand: :syngates:

Muz Malek

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Singapore
    www.instagram.com
    I feel you. I have one advice that worked for me.

Perspective. Maybe you can take playing guitar as a getaway from your studies - a form of relief/rest, instead of a chore or regime. Try to make it your go-to relief.

If you aren't able to wrap your hands around a guitar during your rests, then you could watch videos of guitar playing - Syn Gates himself, Papa Gates, Steve Vai, Joe Sat, whichever is to your preference. Or the simplest is just to listen to music.

As long as you try to keep any one of your senses intact to music, you won't lose touch. Trust me. Give it a try. Slowly but surely man.

Cheers!

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Hi friends, when I was young I used to play guitar a lot, because I wanted to play songs from my idols. Today I'm able to play songs that I used to like. I know I'm not like Synyster Gates, but I'm feeling happy at the level that I'm at.
    Recently I entered university to become a lawyer and I feel that it doesn't make sense to keep playing guitar because, sometime I feel that I'm just wasting my time instead of studying books about my career I think would be more useful in my professional life. So it is a waste of time to keep playing guitar if I'm studying for a career, or how can I keep up my motivation of playing guitar?
    Well there is no need to study guitar If you don't feel like it. But you should play and give it some time if it makes you feel good, If you feel like. Because nothing you enjoy is really wasted time.
    We can't Work 24/7 and should allow ourselves to take the time for doing Things we actually enjoy doing. That's my take on it :)

One thing I want to add: you should not feel ashamed for not playing either. Yes, you invested a lot of time in learning the Instrument but that doesn't mean you're not allowed to move on. Maybe you love your studies so you rather do that cause a) it brings you Joy and b) it will help you achieve a Goal you've Set. Then there is nothing wrong with giving this priority. The guitar isn't lost, you can always come back, even years later

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    There are loads of amazing responses here already but here's my take.

In my opinion you've only wasted your time if you stop playing completely. Especially if it's something you enjoy and are passionate about.

Nobody here is Synyster Gates, just like Synyster Gates isn't Dimebag Darrell or Allan Holdsworth - you'll end up doing what you do better than Syn could. Just like he can do what he does better than his idols could. If the perceived level you consider yourself at is what's demotivating you, just remember that you are your own player with your own abilities and trails to blaze 😊

Guitar can be an amazing escape from work/career pressures, the trick is to not put pressure on where you feel like you should be with the instrument if you don't want it to add to them 👌 We all started playing out of love for music, and that's all that matters.

Hope this helps!

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    When you get older ( I don't know your age ) the guitar will be there and you'll have more time. For your leisure is best, I think you'll have to learn and remember a lot in the profession you chose. As to not waste your tuition money it's probably good to shift priorities even if it's temporary. It's about you, what you want and your options I guess. I get ruts, I think many people do, some probably don't come back or move on like you said. I had a few more things to add from my perspective but I need to go

Synner Endless Summer Collection

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    I can be very short with this because I feel like this is very important. Personal and professional life are two separate things and should be. Besides your professional life it's very important to have hobbies which for you could be playing guitar. Unless you want to become filthy rich I'd really advice you to make sure to have some free time to play guitar. Having a hobby isn't wasting time(I like to read books, play guitar, play video games or hang out with friends in my free time for example and none of those feel like I'm wasting my time), find something you like to do(playing guitar for example) next to your studies/job and in the long run it will probably be better for your mental health. Not everything in your life has to be aimed towards your career, have some fun ya know ;)

devil'slittlesister

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Dec 13, 2020
    Massachusetts- USA
    instagram.com
    Everyone has already posted most of what I would say, except one thing. We would miss you so much! Maybe even just playing every once and a while when you have a spare moment and a song on your mind, and then sharing it with us :) obviously I don't want you to feel obligated nor pressured to stay, but we love you and would miss you if you didn't 🖤🤟🏻

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Fucking Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    There is an old French saying - "Art for art's sake." It is a noble sentiment, but I prefer the adage, "Art for art's sake. Money for God's sake."
    In other words, be true to your art - but take care of business.
    The funny thing is - it's much easier to keep art pure when it's a hobby. When you do it for a living, you find yourself playing songs you hate in a cover band - or if you're lucky - recording shit songs for someone's vanity project. The percentage of people who get to play exactly what they want to play all the time (for a living) is almost zero. And even successful bands have to play their old hits (which they probably hate and are tired of).
    And don't get me wrong - every day I get a paycheck for playing the guitar is a blessing. But as you get older, you realize that concessions must be made.
    My advice to any guitar player who wants to make a living as a musician is: if you can imagine yourself doing ANYTHING else. Do that. You'll never make it if you have a plan B. You actually have a plan A - becoming a lawyer. Run with that and don't look back.
    Find time to play when the urge strikes you. You are in the enviable position of playing strictly for fun.
    Check in once in a while and let us know how you're doing. You will aways be welcome here, (even if you are a lawyer. lol)
    Now go study!

Cheers!
    pg

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    There is an old French saying - "Art for art's sake." It is a noble sentiment, but I prefer the adage, "Art for art's sake. Money for God's sake."
    In other words, be true to your art - but take care of business.
    The funny thing is - it's much easier to keep art pure when it's a hobby. When you do it for a living, you find yourself playing songs you hate in a cover band - or if you're lucky - recording shit songs for someone's vanity project. The percentage of people who get to play exactly what they want to play all the time (for a living) is almost zero. And even successful bands have to play their old hits (which they probably hate and are tired of).
    You know, I have been thinking about this for the entire day and I am curious if you have any artist in mind that play exactly what they want to play all the time. This fascinates me as the music industry seems so controlling and yet I am obsessed by the idea of the true free artist who is successful yet independent of any exterior factor being either the fans or the industry itself. They just do what they want.

Last edited:

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    You know, I have been thinking about this for the entire day and I am curious if you have any artist in mind that play exactly what they want to play all the time. This fascinates me as the music industry seems so controlling and yet I am obsessed by the idea of the true free artist who is successful yet independent of any exterior factor being either the fans or the industry itself. They just do what they want.
    Paul Gilbert. For the last maybe 20 years?

Muz Malek

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Singapore
    www.instagram.com
    All that studying and then working is going to DEMAND downtime, for fun and sanity. You'll most likely regret becoming someone who "used to play guitar." I almost did, and then I got going again about 11-12 years ago.
    I battled a decent dilemma for a good 4 to 5 years as to whether or not I wanted to keep up the guitar as my career, despite doing kinda well.

Glad I didn't give up. Now I'm here getting more and more inspired each day especially from every single one of you here in SGS.

Last edited:

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Probably most of the virtuoso guys like Paul & Steve Vai.
    I considered Steve, but I think he faces more pressure to "be like (the public's perception of) Steve Vai" so he might not have QUITE as much artistic freedom as Paul. Paul decided he wanted to learn slide, and promptly had all his guitars fitted with slide magnets and his latest album has more slide than an amusement park. Or a Derek Trucks cd.

Reactions: chris_is_cool

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Fucking Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    Paul is a great example. I think there are many more. People who "play the game" for a number of years. Establish themselves, (read: get some fuck you money), and then do exactly what they want.
    But there are also a few who have bucked the system from the beginning, including A7X.
    They have done a great job at doing exactly what they want - (which tends to piss off fans who want them to just keep making the Waking The Fallen album over and over again). Every album is different. Every album is them stretching and trying new things. They have never been a band that catered to the record company or the fans when it came to the music they made. They obviously cater to their fans in their live performances and their interactions. But they have NEVER said, "Let's not do this - the fans might not like it." Or "The fans loved this song, let's do another one like it." If they did - songs like "Little Piece of Heaven" would have never been made.
    There is absolutely a way to play what you want AND be successful. But it's difficult to stay the course. Once you get some success, the fans and the record company want you to repeat that, (and usually some members of your own band). The pressure to replicate the sound or vibe of a hit record is too tempting for most bands - who make 3 or 4 albums that all sound the same and then disappear.

akarinaa

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    May 13, 2021
    Brazil
    As someone who graduated in law and has a lot of hobbies (drawing, gaming and more recently, guitar), I can relate to your story. When I started university I had this idea that my life from now on will be only reading books and nothing else. During those years of course I focused more on my degree, but I also had to keep practicing my hobbies at least once in a while for the sake of my sanity hahaha I think it's impossible to keep a routine 100% focused on study/work, someday you'll need to relax and do something just for fun; that's what hobbies are for!

I also think that a hobby is a lot more funny when it's just a hobby you can practice whenever you feel like it. I used to think that I'd be happy if I worked in the illustration field, as I always loved to draw, but it only took me a few months doing art commissions to realize that drawing just for fun is what I enjoy most.

So, I think it's possible (and a good choice for your mental health) to keep your career and your hobbies, just try to find a routine that includes both and works for you.

Allan

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Brasil
    Motivation can come from a different perspective.

I always liked to do covers, but recently my motivation comes from:
    1) Follow my ears, what they really liked in other artists songs.
    2) Create things that reasonates with me, composing song parts that I enjoy.
    3) Engage with a community, like the beautiful family we have here :)

I have a researcher career, so I maintain this as a hobby.
    Life change and hobbies do changes too.