• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

I feel demotivated playing the guitar

devil'slittlesister

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Dec 13, 2020
    Massachusetts- USA
    instagram.com
    There is an old French saying - "Art for art's sake." It is a noble sentiment, but I prefer the adage, "Art for art's sake. Money for God's sake."
    In other words, be true to your art - but take care of business.
    The funny thing is - it's much easier to keep art pure when it's a hobby. When you do it for a living, you find yourself playing songs you hate in a cover band - or if you're lucky - recording shit songs for someone's vanity project. The percentage of people who get to play exactly what they want to play all the time (for a living) is almost zero. And even successful bands have to play their old hits (which they probably hate and are tired of).
    And don't get me wrong - every day I get a paycheck for playing the guitar is a blessing. But as you get older, you realize that concessions must be made.
    My advice to any guitar player who wants to make a living as a musician is: if you can imagine yourself doing ANYTHING else. Do that. You'll never make it if you have a plan B. You actually have a plan A - becoming a lawyer. Run with that and don't look back.
    Find time to play when the urge strikes you. You are in the enviable position of playing strictly for fun.
    Check in once in a while and let us know how you're doing. You will aways be welcome here, (even if you are a lawyer. lol)
    Now go study!

Cheers!
    pg
    Papa gates always saving the day with his wisdom 😭🖤 love you pops