• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

I made a song

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I bought a sample pack a couple weeks ago and I made a song using a couple of the samples in the sample pack. I couldn't make a drum sound I liked out of the sample so I uses some house sample pack I already owned for that but every other sound comes from the sample pack

Here's the link to the sample pack in case anyone wants to have a go making a song using it too:

Filip Tomiša

Campfire Attention Holder
Nov 11, 2019
Croatia
www.youtube.com
Something sounds really off. I think it's a combination of your riff not starting on the correct beat and the hi hat playing on-beat (like a metronome). The riff starts with that with that "twirly"sound but the actual beginning of the first beat of the riff is when you play those last two notes (that TN - T part, idk how else to explain it). And then your hi hat starts playing on-beat which then makes your kick play on the off-beat and the whole song falls apart. Try placing that second to last "Tn" note that you play on the first beat and then place the hi hat on the off beat and listen to how it sounds. It will make much more sense.

Reactions: idssdi

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Actually, the bass drum is on the beat and the hi-hat Is off beat. What makes it confusing it the fact that the hi-hat comes in before the bass drum. I mean the sample I'm using for that lead bit is 130 BPM and the tempo is 130 BPM so there shouldn't be a problem there I think. It basically tricks your ear and confuses you a bit but to my ear it sounds in time 😅

Thank you for the feedback!

Reactions: chris_is_cool
Synner Endless Summer Collection

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Something sounds really off. I think it's a combination of your riff not starting on the correct beat and the hi hat playing on-beat (like a metronome). The riff starts with that with that "twirly"sound but the actual beginning of the first beat of the riff is when you play those last two notes (that TN - T part, idk how else to explain it). And then your hi hat starts playing on-beat which then makes your kick play on the off-beat and the whole song falls apart. Try placing that second to last "Tn" note that you play on the first beat and then place the hi hat on the off beat and listen to how it sounds. It will make much more sense.
I hear the change up too but I think ids did it on purpose. I'd have to listen a few times to really see if it stands out I'd you dont know it's therem

Filip Tomiša

Campfire Attention Holder
Nov 11, 2019
Croatia
www.youtube.com
I hear the change up too but I think ids did it on purpose. I'd have to listen a few times to really see if it stands out I'd you dont know it's therem
The riff's actual beginning is that second to last note before the riff repeats itself and that is what's causing the problems and making everything out of sync
the riff is causing the problems cause it doesn't start on the correct beat

Last edited:

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
Staff member
Legend+
Fucking Legend
Nov 11, 2019
To my ears, it felt like the riff started on the and of 2 - which makes the last two notes hit on the downbeats 1 and 2. Which is understandable. When you have nothing but a riff - your brain sorts it out and places it where it makes sense to you. The hat comes in ON the beat and confirms that this was correct (so far). BUT THEN - the kick comes in and I'm like - what the hell is the kick doing on the off-beats? After a few seconds, my brain turned things around and I realize that the hat is actually on the off beats, the kick is on the downbeats, and the riff actually starts on 1.
It's easier to hear at the end of the song when the riff is playing with the drums.

I LOVE when this happens. It's not wrong!!! It's just a musical puzzle that the listener has to figure out.
For anyone who thinks it sounds off - start listening at 2:40. The kick is on 1 and 3. Count along. When the riff is reintroduced - it definitely starts on the 1.

The first time this happened to me was on the intro of The Eagles' "Take It Easy". I thought the first chord started on 1, (and why wouldn't it?) When you assume that, there is a weird transition when the drums come in that doesn't make sense. I finally figured out that the first chord starts on the "and of 4" - and then it all made sense.

Well done!

Last edited:

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
To my ears, it felt like the riff started on the and of 2 - which makes the last two notes hit on the downbeats 1 and 2. Which is understandable. When you have nothing but a riff - your brain sorts it out and places it where it makes sense to you. The hat comes in ON the beat and confirms that this was correct (so far). BUT THEN - the kick comes in and I'm like - what the hell is the kick doing and the off-beats? After a few seconds, my brain turned things around and I realize that the hat is actually on the off beats, the kick is on the downbeats, and the riff actually starts on 1.
It's easier to hear at the end of the song when the riff is playing with the drums.

I LOVE when this happens. It's not wrong!!! It's just a musical puzzle that the listener has to figure out.
For anyone who thinks it sounds off - start listening at 2:40. The kick is on 1 and 3. Count along. When the riff is reintroduced - it definitely starts on the 1.

The first time this happened to me was on the intro of The Eagles' "Take It Easy". I thought the first chord started on 1, (and why wouldn't it?) When you assume that, there is a weird transition when the drums come in that doesn't make sense. I finally figured out that the first chord starts on the "and of 4" - and then it all made sense.

Well done!
This is essentially what I meant by on purpose. Really complex but once it gets going it sounds really good. Things that stand out like that are what make songs memorial. Although I dunno if I would write every song like that i dedinitely would be doing more of it if I could.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
To my ears, it felt like the riff started on the and of 2 - which makes the last two notes hit on the downbeats 1 and 2. Which is understandable. When you have nothing but a riff - your brain sorts it out and places it where it makes sense to you. The hat comes in ON the beat and confirms that this was correct (so far). BUT THEN - the kick comes in and I'm like - what the hell is the kick doing and the off-beats? After a few seconds, my brain turned things around and I realize that the hat is actually on the off beats, the kick is on the downbeats, and the riff actually starts on 1.

Well done!
Thank you PG!

Reactions: Brian Haner Sr.