• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

I need help with playing faster (shreddingggg)!!!

Slime Tone

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
Feb 15, 2022
I've been playing guitar for about 7-8 years now and I am starting to get into some more complex stuff. Ive noticed though that i am pretty limited by my left (finger) hand speed. Ive been doing basic drills to a metronome and have noticed slight improvement. But if I want to be able to play lightning fast licks how far away/ how long will it take for me to build up some real speed. For context, my alternate picking for 16th notes falls apart around 100-110 bps.

Apocalyptic Katana

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
www.instagram.com
key to speed is....

to relax your muscles, not just your arms but your whole body (don't be tense)

only ever applying just enough necessary force to play the note

and minimizing distance away (all if not most of the time) from the strings as much as needed

as your fingers gets used to the repeated motion (practice with a metronome to keep in time!)

you''ll naturally get faster as long as you're not tensing up as you raise the speed

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    I think practice some legato stuff to make the fret hand faster and also slow the metronome so its done well and takes not too much effort, then move up again and keep syncing. Sometimes go way faster and mess up but kind of get the feel
    and try bursts of notes then pause, I can't do it but I think that's how

Kat the metalhead

Music Theory Bragger
  • Jan 20, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    My best advice is really to just take your time and not focus on how long it’s going to take and try not staying hyper focused on wanting to shred.

No one can really tell you how long it’s going to take. But if you really want it it’ll happen.Try your best to not get discouraged and if you believe in your self you'll 100% be shredding.

take it slow, don’t press the strings too hard and try not to get tense. Take a moment to loosen up and then go into practicing. If you notice yourself getting tense or hand getting tight take a second to breathe and shake it off then continue

you mentioned noticing slight improvement which is a big thing! Learning new techniques takes time. It’s still improvement even if you moved the metronome up just a tad even if it doesn’t feel like it.

good luck :)

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    I've been playing guitar for about 7-8 years now and I am starting to get into some more complex stuff. Ive noticed though that i am pretty limited by my left (finger) hand speed. Ive been doing basic drills to a metronome and have noticed slight improvement. But if I want to be able to play lightning fast licks how far away/ how long will it take for me to build up some real speed. For context, my alternate picking for 16th notes falls apart around 100-110 bps.
    Everyone has pretty much hit the nail on the head but here's a few tips anyways (All advice is from my subjective experience) :

1. Practice Slow, clean & controlled - Whatever you want to play quickly, you want to be able to play it cleanly (I.e no unwanted string noise/sloppiness). The best way that I've found to get this to fruition is to take the thing you want to speed up and look at all it's small moving parts when slow. Make sure you could play the lick at less than half speed, confidently and without mistakes. If you don't feel 100% in control of what you're doing, it's not the right time to play it fast.

2. Push in slightly harder when practicing slow -
    This is something that I found fast tracked certain licks for me. The way I make sense of it is this: If you put in 200% strength slow, then when you play fast, you can ease up completely and still hit the 100% strength needed to fret every note. Fast playing should be relaxed/controlled.

3. Don't go fast too early -
    Most, if not all Guitar players that are interested in more technical styles have what I like to call the 'inner speed gollum' that just wants to play at full speed *now* I am living proof of this 😂 You're practicing away and you feel the lick *click* a bit and you think (This is my time - full speed - ...aand it falls apart) - try to recognise this compulsion when it manifests and squash it. Most things require a gradual speed up process. This step will stop any undue tension in your playing at a high speed and save you any frustrations.

4. Weirdly - try not to get too hung up on your speed BPM -
    This may seem counterproductive, but worrying about how fast you can play can strangely inhibit how fast you can play in the long run. The reason (at least from my own experience) Is that you get into a mindset of I'll respect my chops/have worth as a player when I get to *this* speed - and you start pushing too hard into that/basing your worth off of the results. For me personally it bred a lot of frustrated, negative practice sessions and hoenstly time wasted trying to strain to the point that I was only going to arrive at patiently, in my own time - not saying this would happen to you or that you would think this way, but it's a mindset I'd definitely watch out for - it creeps in! 😊

I tend to write loads in response to speed posts because I remember the frustration myself - take your time and enjoy the process. Patience and persistence will convert to progress - just dont put a date on it !🤟

Ryan Vega

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Florida
    nearlyspent.bandzoogle.com
    I personally increased my speed thinking of it like a workout.

Choose one lick to work on either legato or alternate picking and yeah you have to practice slow at first but once you have the lick down then what I recommend is finding your limit on it like set your metronome to 180 or whatever your goal is and keep decreasing by 5 until you find your current max speed.

Then decrease your newly discovered max speed by a few bpm and then start playing it over the metronome until you can do it clean like 3/5 times in a row, and increase speed anywhere from 1-5 bpm and keep repeating.

So for example if your current max speed is 110 with lets say the first alternate picking etude, set your metronome back to 95 play it perfect at least 3 times back to back before you move on to 100 bpm and repeat the process. If you find that when you slow down you aren't playing the lick perfectly it just means you need to dial back on the bpms a bit more and work your way up from there.

I know this type of practice isn't for everyone but it did help me get a lot faster when that was my specific goal.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Slime Tone

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Feb 15, 2022
    Everyone has pretty much hit the nail on the head but here's a few tips anyways (All advice is from my subjective experience) :

1. Practice Slow, clean & controlled - Whatever you want to play quickly, you want to be able to play it cleanly (I.e no unwanted string noise/sloppiness). The best way that I've found to get this to fruition is to take the thing you want to speed up and look at all it's small moving parts when slow. Make sure you could play the lick at less than half speed, confidently and without mistakes. If you don't feel 100% in control of what you're doing, it's not the right time to play it fast.

This is something that I found fast tracked certain licks for me. The way I make sense of it is this: If you put in 200% strength slow, then when you play fast, you can ease up completely and still hit the 100% strength needed to fret every note. Fast playing should be relaxed/controlled.

Most, if not all Guitar players that are interested in more technical styles have what I like to call the 'inner speed gollum' that just wants to play at full speed *now* I am living proof of this 😂 You're practicing away and you feel the lick *click* a bit and you think (This is my time - full speed - ...aand it falls apart) - try to recognise this compulsion when it manifests and squash it. Most things require a gradual speed up process. This step will stop any undue tension in your playing at a high speed and save you any frustrations.

This may seem counterproductive, but worrying about how fast you can play can strangely inhibit how fast you can play in the long run. The reason (at least from my own experience) Is that you get into a mindset of I'll respect my chops/have worth as a player when I get to *this* speed - and you start pushing too hard into that/basing your worth off of the results. For me personally it bred a lot of frustrated, negative practice sessions and hoenstly time wasted trying to strain to the point that I was only going to arrive at patiently, in my own time - not saying this would happen to you or that you would think this way, but it's a mindset I'd definitely watch out for - it creeps in! 😊

I tend to write loads in response to speed posts because I remember the frustration myself - take your time and enjoy the process. Patience and persistence will convert to progress - just dont put a date on it !🤟
    The relation to me and your third point crazy! It's one of the most discouraging feelings. But these are some really good tips I will be sure to update my practice routine thank you!

Little Laguna05

Free Bird Player
    Feb 16, 2023

How do I reduce the string noise?

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    How do I reduce the string noise?
    You would do this by utilising both left & right hand muting, simultaneously 👌

Basically, whichever note you're playing should be the only note able to ring out on the Guitar (most of the time)

For example, say you only want to hear the G string:
    Since there are the lower strings ( D, A and Low E) above the G, you would rest your right hand palm gently on those strings to dampen them, while playing the G ** not like palm muting** further forward so that if they are played, they are deadened completely and you only hear the scuff of the string being plucked.

For the higher strings below the G string (B and High E) you could use the bottom/length of your 1st finger on your left hand to gently dampen them. This situation can change based on the playing situation but I find it's mostly 1st finger.

I always tell my students to imagine they have an annoying friend that will try to ping all the strings they aren't using - this usually does the trick.

Great question too! I think string muting is truly what makes fast guitar parts impressive, knowing the sheer control that the player has over the string noise, aswell as the fretboard 😊

Hope this helps 🤟

Little Laguna05

Free Bird Player
    Feb 16, 2023

Basically, whichever note you're playing should be the only note able to ring out on the Guitar (most of the time)

Since there are the lower strings ( D, A and Low E) above the G, you would rest your right hand palm gently on those strings to dampen them, while playing the G ** not like palm muting** further forward so that if they are played, they are deadened completely and you only hear the scuff of the string being plucked.

For the higher strings below the G string (B and High E) you could use the bottom/length of your 1st finger on your left hand to gently dampen them. This situation can change based on the playing situation but I find it's mostly 1st finger.

I always tell my students to imagine they have an annoying friend that will try to ping all the strings they aren't using - this usually does the trick.

Great question too! I think string muting is truly what makes fast guitar parts impressive, knowing the sheer control that the player has over the string noise, aswell as the fretboard 😊

Hope this helps 🤟
    That’s very helpful but I was thinking more about when you pick a string, and that string has a sorta vibration in it you can hear.

Reactions: Chris Johnston

Matt Wildcat

The Fierce Deity
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    UK

Hope this helps 🤟
    Absolutely using the "Annoying friend" idea in future. Or even better, annoying sibling or relative, from experience of course... LOL 😂great advice as always mate 🤘

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    That’s very helpful but I was thinking more about when you pick a string, and that string has a sorta vibration in it you can hear.
    Ah gotcha! This sounds more like a fretbuzz or intonation issue - I'd suggest taking your instrument to a Guitar Shop or Luthier than can give the Guitar a good setup - this should sort any noise that comes from just picking a note.

Ps. If you get time, feel free to post a video of what's happening, just so we can give you the right advice 👌

Little Laguna05

Free Bird Player
    Feb 16, 2023
    Ah gotcha! This sounds more like a fretbuzz or intonation issue - I'd suggest taking your instrument to a Guitar Shop or Luthier than can give the Guitar a good setup - this should sort any noise that comes from just picking a note.

Ps. If you get time, feel free to post a video of what's happening, just so we can give you the right advice 👌
    Okay so where exactly do you put your finger in between the frets?