• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

I need to change my strings! (and you too, Ari 🦆🔪)

Batbia

Music Theory Bragger
  • Jan 11, 2021
    Brazil
    Hello everyone! Sooo since I bought my guitars I never changed my strings and I've been thinking lately that I should have done this earlier, but whatever 😹 Well, looks like life wanted to give me a little push too, cause a string on my acoustic broke out of nowhere and I'm not even using it, so this must be a sign 🤣
    Anyway, I plan on buying new strings for both my acoustic and my electric on the upcoming Black Friday cause I'm poor and I could really use some discounts so that's my chance 😹 I think this forum might already have guides on how to change strings and etc but some other questions crossed my mind and I wonder if you can help me with those! I'm gonna number the questions so it's easier to refer to them 😆 Here we go:

1 - If I'm gonna change them by myself, what exactly do I need to do it? Like do I need any tools? Are they expensive? Or I just need the strings, lots of patience and some praying? 🙏🏼

2 - I currently have an acoustic with nylon strings, I've read before that you can't put steel strings on nylon guitars and vice versa. Is this correct or it's a myth?

3 - About string gauges, can I choose any set based on personal preferences or I have to buy a specific one that is "compatible" with my guitar? I'm thinking about buying an Ernie Ball Regular Slinky set (green pack, 10-46) 🤔

4 - While searching for the acoustic, I've seen sets with low, medium and high tension. Again: can I choose this or I have to buy something according to what my guitar "accepts"? If I can choose it, how does it influence my playing/sound?

5 - Will I get to change my strings before Ari? 🤔 I still have a week until I order them and it will probably take two more weeks for them to arrive 🤔 What do you think? 🤔

I think that's it for now but if I remember anything more I will add to this thread later 😆 Thanks in advance!

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    1. Wire cutters to trim the excess string from the tuning pegs. I mean, you technically don’t HAVE to cut them, but you’ll look like a psycho If you don’t lol.
    2. If it’s a classical type guitar without a truss rod then NO steel strings !
    3. You’ll be fine with those. (Unless someone knows something I don’t, in which case I need to know too lol)
    4. 🤷🏼‍♀️ I’ve honestly never seen this on the strings I buy.
    5. 😂😂😂 I hope you both change them on the exact same day so it’s a tie !

Upvote 0

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    1. Wire cutters as Alicia said. Don’t be psycho. A simple string winder. Maybe $2-3 at a guitar shop for no-frills. This will also help you pop the string holding dowels in the acoustic as well.

2. correct. They are built very differently. Wrapping the nylon strings at the bridge is a magical thing that you will fail at several times before you get it. Don’t cut the ends off the nylon strings for a few days. Be a LITLLE psycho.

3. 10-46 is a standard set and should be fine. Do you have a floating bridge, like a Floyd rose? If so, we need a follow up convo.

4. uncommon I think. Try medium ish and see if you like.

5. Realistically, you have until the end of time. @ari.mac ca. Learn from you 🤣

good luck and ask questions!

Upvote 0

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    1: anything you can cut the strings with
    2: the steel strings may damage the nylon string guitar
    3: maybe there are hybrid string packs with heavy top light bottom for 8's and 9's? lighter strings are easier to bend in my opinion
    4: i think the sound is most responsive with the high tension and may vibrate less. not sure how it affects the sound. i would go with medium to try it if i had to choose
    playing a nylon string with a pick isn't so good for the strings but it's fun
    5: ari put it off for a long time now :D

i got to change my nylon strings too and get a new cable

• Angry
    • Love
    Reactions: Batbia and ari.mac
    Upvote 0

Matt Wildcat

The Fierce Deity
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    Pfft, what's changing strings? 😂

I jest of course, great advice above! Who knows... Maybe I'll join in with actually learning to change my own strings, rather than just pleading with good ol dad to help me (and by help me, I mean do it while I watch, because I'm afraid they'll snap in my face) 🤘😂🤘

Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

ari.mac

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 16, 2020
    Italy
    IMG_20211106_185433.jpg

Also, @Batbia @Ed Seith and @William B.

Upvote 0

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Hmmm, I wonder who stopped changing strings first? You or Ari 🤪

1. A string winder and something to cut off the excess strings are really useful.

2. Nylon and steel string apply different tension in the neck so putting steel strings on a nylon string guitar can warp the neck pretty bad

3. Any set is fine as long as they are for acoustic and not electric and it's a nylon for a nylon string guitar and steel for a western guitar

4. I dunno, never looked at this ever

5. Since Ari will be super motivated after reading this thread she will obviously immediately go and change her strings so she will definitely be first 🤪🤪

Upvote 0

Aquamandy

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Feb 22, 2021
    Brazil
    Nooo Alicia, now Ari will use this as an excuse: "I haven't changed my strings yet because I'm waiting for Bia's to arrive"

And @ari.mac do we really need to send him 🐤 to motivate you? 🤔 Watch out

Upvote 0

Donovan Etue

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    Hello everyone! Sooo since I bought my guitars I never changed my strings and I've been thinking lately that I should have done this earlier, but whatever 😹 Well, looks like life wanted to give me a little push too, cause a string on my acoustic broke out of nowhere and I'm not even using it, so this must be a sign 🤣
    Anyway, I plan on buying new strings for both my acoustic and my electric on the upcoming Black Friday cause I'm poor and I could really use some discounts so that's my chance 😹 I think this forum might already have guides on how to change strings and etc but some other questions crossed my mind and I wonder if you can help me with those! I'm gonna number the questions so it's easier to refer to them 😆 Here we go:

1 - If I'm gonna change them by myself, what exactly do I need to do it? Like do I need any tools? Are they expensive? Or I just need the strings, lots of patience and some praying? 🙏🏼

2 - I currently have an acoustic with nylon strings, I've read before that you can't put steel strings on nylon guitars and vice versa. Is this correct or it's a myth?

3 - About string gauges, can I choose any set based on personal preferences or I have to buy a specific one that is "compatible" with my guitar? I'm thinking about buying an Ernie Ball Regular Slinky set (green pack, 10-46) 🤔

4 - While searching for the acoustic, I've seen sets with low, medium and high tension. Again: can I choose this or I have to buy something according to what my guitar "accepts"? If I can choose it, how does it influence my playing/sound?

5 - Will I get to change my strings before Ari? 🤔 I still have a week until I order them and it will probably take two more weeks for them to arrive 🤔 What do you think? 🤔

I think that's it for now but if I remember anything more I will add to this thread later 😆 Thanks in advance!
    I can definitely throw some advice/opinions in on this.
    Tools you'll need. For the first year and a half of playing guitar/doing maintenance I was running a fairly basic setup. A cheap string winder helps speed the process along so much more. Having to wind a string from the equivalent tension of a wet pasta noodle, to holding tune is annoyingly long without one. A set of wire cutters. I agree with Ed and Alicia wholeheartedly, please don't be a psycho, cut those string ends. A rag as well to clean up the areas of the guitar that may have some dirt/debris on them that are hard to reach with the strings on.

I checked through your media posts and noticed that your guitar has a strat style tremolo on it @Ed Seith do you think that stuffing a 9v battery in the tremolo block cavity be helpful here like when changing strings on a floyd?

You're right in that steel strings and nylon stringed guitars do not get along.

Yup, string gauges are about personal preferences here. I personally use a set of Ernie Ball Slinkys 10-52 for everything from E Standard - Drop C.

Pretty sure this post/these comments have finally convinced me to change out my 5 month old strings haha. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Batbia

Music Theory Bragger
  • Jan 11, 2021
    Brazil
    This was a huge help for me guys 😻 every reply here was so useful so thank you everyone 💞
    Do you have a floating bridge, like a Floyd rose? If so, we need a follow up convo.
    I checked through your media posts and noticed that your guitar has a strat style tremolo on it
    @Donovan Etue is right, it's a tremolo bridge!

Also, I'm gonna follow your advices and search for the tools this weekend to buy them with the strings next week, so I don't end up being a psycho 😹😹

• Love
    Reactions: Ed Seith
    Upvote 0

Batbia

Music Theory Bragger
  • Jan 11, 2021
    Brazil
    I feel attacked by this thread 🧐 Maybe I'll surprise you all, or maybe not 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔
    Oh you feel attacked? GOOD! That was exactly the goal 💅🏼
    5. Since Ari will be super motivated after reading this thread she will obviously immediately go and change her strings so she will definitely be first 🤪🤪
    That was also the goal 👀 I thought she could feel a little more incentived with this thread but looks like she prefers violence 🦆🔪
    I need to change my strings, too. Let's all three of us have a string changing party😂
    Count me in 😹🎉 and count @ari.mac in too cause she needs to change her strings with us 😈
    You had your Strings for so long they broke by themselves? As our beloved Bass Player @Radu-Cristian Perde can surely confirm:

This is the way
    Shhhh, don't say this loud or Ari will wait for her strings to break by themselves to change them 🤫
    Maybe I'll join in with actually learning to change my own strings, rather than just pleading with good ol dad to help me
    Oooh I wish I could ask my dad for help on this 😹 I know he helped fixing some things on Mandy's drums but in terms of strings, he probably knows as much as me which is like 0% 😹
    I have more chance at winning the lottery than you changing your strings
    Pls remember the poor (me) when you are a millionaire 😹

Upvote 0

Possessed Sinner

Free Bird Player
    Apr 6, 2021
    Czech Republic

At least some type of a wire cutters, and if you have a classical guitar, don't use steel frets, else the wooden bridge that is held by a glue will snap off. If you have a classical guitar, where you need to wire the string around the bridge, you can find some tutorials for it. It looks complicated, but it's easier than to play F major as a barre chord. Don't forget that you should have at least 2-3 turns on the tuner for a tuning stability. Hope it helps

Upvote 0