• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

I need your help

Rute Rodrigues

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Portugal
    So guys, I`m writing a song. I will explain you: So, I wanted to start with a ballad, and do a verse and a chorus, and then jump to a metalcore sound, using the idea in the ballad, but in metalcore. I dont if you can understand, or if im explaining me well, but I dont know how to go from a ballad to metalcore. I already have the ballad, that will be my intro. But im having some problems to write the metalcore part. Idk if use the same theme I used in the beginning, or create a new sound…. If you were me what do you guys would do? If you could help me would be nice. Thank you, cheers.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    What you’re describing is pretty advanced songwriting stuff. I think a song like Buried Alive or The stage is kind of what you’re looking for. If you listen to those they seem like 2 separate songs blended into one(which The Stage actually is) with transitions which are done really well.
    Now, how to do these transitions. You can play with gradually increasing the tempo, out a guitar solo in the transition which ends with a brealdown or whatever. I’ll just advice you to not go to crazy with key changes because that will throw off the listener a little bit

Rute Rodrigues

• Nov 11, 2019
    Portugal
    My idea is to keep using the same key throughout the song. But the idea of Buried Alive is very good. But the buried alive has a chorus already a bit heavy that allows to make a solo and to move to an even heavier part. The ballad I wrote has only one verse and one chorus, which are very calm. (I’m still deciding whether to use a piano or a guitar fingering) But it does not even have percussion. Which makes it hard to think of something. I already thought about taking a little break from the music and then coming up with a riff like that and then adding the other instruments. But maybe that sounds bad, because then the riff would come out from nowhere.

J

Jak Angelescu

Honestly Marlyn it sounds like your idea will come out just fine. Ids made a lot of excellent points. As far as you being confused as to whether use piano or guitar, why not use both in the beginning? Believe me, with a fully produced song just having piano or guitar picking in the beginning may sound very empty and a producer will encourage you to have something else as well. It doesn’t even have to be a busy part. If you have the piano as your main focus in the beginning, you could just simply have the guitar having the chords being plucked and held out until they change alongside the piano. I would encourage you to be inspired by arrangements of classical music, I think it would help you hear how two instruments can compliment each other and then suddenly the song changes.
    I would reference Parkway Drive “Wishing Wells” as a song in this case. Normally songs that do this change into a “metalcore” vibe with a sudden burst of new energy. But not always 🙂

Rute Rodrigues

• Nov 11, 2019
    Portugal
    Damn jak, loved the idea!! I think im going to stop the music at the end of the 1st chorus and then, bumm, the riff apears and then yeah, its metalcore!! Loved the song, it helped!! Thank you guys. And yeah, im going to start with piano and guitar appears doing the chords and a little melody. Damn guys, what would be me without you?? Thx so much.

Synner Endless Summer Collection