• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

I should finally learn to play but..speed.

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    ''Don't learn to play songs you can't play at 75% speed''
    That is my own advice I'm trying to follow, it's a good way to avoid frustration and to finish learning a song while enjoying it.
    I've always wanted to play Children of Bodom leads, they're simple but too fast. I looked through a list of similar songs and I found Sonata Arctica but I had to slow it down under 50%. (All those solo's are mainly scale and arpeggio runs.)
    I'm a bit done with that so does anyone know baby versions of similar songs I could learn to build up? (Towards Canon rock eventually, someday, in a next life 🤡)

T

TheRedMageGuitarist

Dude! You gave me some of that advice and it's helped so much!
    I think what would help me help YOU, is to truly see where your playing level is at. Sonata Arctica definitely has some solos you could do, I would believe and if all else fails, you "farm" the parts that are too fast, which is like if the spot has 16th notes at 156bpm, take some of them out to form your own 8th note pattern.

I hope that makes sense!

Also, there are tons of songs I've been making as lists when I hear them I'm like "oh I'm sure I could play that!" I'll get it out and come back here and put them down for you 🥰

Can you tell me what your playing level is at right now? Like what's the most difficult level song you can play?

Lindsey

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 16, 2019
    The Netherlands
    www.instagram.com
    Dude! You gave me some of that advice and it's helped so much!
    I think what would help me help YOU, is to truly see where your playing level is at. Sonata Arctica definitely has some solos you could do, I would believe and if all else fails, you "farm" the parts that are too fast, which is like if the spot has 16th notes at 156bpm, take some of them out to form your own 8th note pattern.

I hope that makes sense!

Also, there are tons of songs I've been making as lists when I hear them I'm like "oh I'm sure I could play that!" I'll get it out and come back here and put them down for you 🥰

Can you tell me what your playing level is at right now? Like what's the most difficult level song you can play?
    That makes sense, it's better than slowing it down to 50%. Thanks!
    I'm not sure what level I'm at for lead. The Hell song from Sum 41 is probably the only solo I can play along at anytime. I got close to playing Iron man at 100%. I guess that's my speed level for lead. You've got another thing coming from Judas Priest is fine technique wise. I should probably skip advanced techniques, slow sweeps just don't work.