• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

I (sorta) made a FREE Hellwin amp software

Awex Came

Campfire Attention Holder
Legend
May 23, 2021
I used a free open source software called Neural Amp Modeler by Steve Atkinson (not to be confused with the company Neural DSP) to create "snapshots" or "profiles" or captures" of the Schecter Hellwin Amplifier using neural training to recreate the amplifier's sound. Not just any Hellwin amp, but Papa Gates' very own Hellwin. That's right, the artist behind hit's like "Fistfight at the Waffle House", "Ginger Bitch", and "Grandma Was A Racist". His mojo is now downloadable to YOUR computer!

What this software does is similar to the Kemper Profiling Amp, Neural DSP Quad Cortex, ToneX etc. by taking snapshots of amplifier settings and allowing you to take that with you and share it and add on to it. Only now you don't need an expensive piece of hardware, just your computer and an audio interface. However, making neural amp models isn't exactly user friendly.

Screen Shot 2023-04-15 at 3.48.34 PM.png

This software currently only allows you to capture the amp heads and not cabinets. So you will have to pair this with a cabinet Impulse Response (IR) file to use it. I will be providing one, but feel free to go find others and explore. Different IR's can drastically change your sound. The only IR's of a Hellwin cab available are from the Synner store but they only work with Fractal Axe FX and not with this. He has used Bogner UberKab 4x12's and Mesa Boogie 4x12's in the past, so IR's of those could get you a similar sound.

Neural Amp Modeler is a newer software and is still technically in it's Beta phase. There are known issues and the software is consistently updated. It can run as a stand alone software or as an AU/VST3 plugin in your DAW. There are certain computer requirements such as operating systems and certain hardware. Here's the GitHub Page where you can find the latest version, known issues, the code, hardware requirements, etc. At the current moment, this plugin can be very CPU intensive. There are ways for me to make snapshots that are lighter on CPU, but it will make them less accurate and I'm not interested in that.

I made 3 captures. One of each channel according to Syn's settings from the Hellwin manual.

Settings.png

Things needed - Computer that meets minimum requirements & Audio Interface

Installation steps:

Step 1
- Download Neural Amp Modeler
Mac Download
Windows Download

Step 2 - Install

Step 3 - Download my Hellwin amp models

Step 4 - Download this Impulse Response (IR) of a Mesa Boogie 2x12 cabinet with V30 speakers

Step 5 - Open Neural Amp Modeler
If using the standalone app, it may default to your computers built in speakers and microphone. I would mute your speakers before opening and then change the audio device to your audio interface. Otherwise there will be a loud feedback loop.

If using as a plugin in your DAW, I would recommend the same thing depending on what your DAW defaults your audio devices as.

Step 6 - Open one of the amp models using "Select model..." at the bottom

Step 7 - Open your Impulse Response using "Select IR..." at the bottom

Step 8 - Shred

There are EQ Controls and a noise gate included in this plugin that you can disable. These do not reflect the knobs of an actual Hellwin amp and are for tonal shaping and balancing.

If you are experiencing latency, try lowering your buffer settings in your DAW if using as a plugin, or in your preferences if using the standalone application. This is dependent on your computer and audio interface.

You can also download all kinds of other amp models that users have made at ToneHunt.org

Last edited:

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    This is awesome, Alex! Thank you! Aren't you glad Papa Gates moved to Vermont and his aging back was too weak to carry his Hellwin? His loss is your gain.

I had reached out to Cooper Carter, who engineered Syn's Cab Pack, and also to Syn, and neither had any of the original files for the modeled cabs and therefore no way to effectively convert them for non-AxeFX use. A shame, bat whaddayagonnado?

Awex Came

Legend
    May 23, 2021
    This is awesome, Alex! Thank you! Aren't you glad Papa Gates moved to Vermont and his aging back was too weak to carry his Hellwin? His loss is your gain.

I had reached out to Cooper Carter, who engineered Syn's Cab Pack, and also to Syn, and neither had any of the original files for the modeled cabs and therefore no way to effectively convert them for non-AxeFX use. A shame, bat whaddayagonnado?
    Oh I'm very glad. He told me to load it in the moving truck and I just loaded it in my car. What was he gonna do, take it out? Not with that back!

Yeah Syn told me he didn't have them and to reach out to Nick Fainbarg. I texted him but didn't hear back. So what I'd like to do in the future is take my cab to a friend's studio and have them help me make some IRs

Donovan Etue

• Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    I've been messing around with NAM for a few weeks now. In order to get in the facebook group you've got to answer the question of what amp would you like to be profiled essentially and I put in the Hellwin lmao. Of course you'd be the person to profile one haha. Well done Alex! Sad to hear we don't have access to non AxeFX usable IR's of Syns cabs for now, but this is fucking awesome to see done! I look forward to trying these out probably later tonight!

Awex Came

Legend
    May 23, 2021
    I've been messing around with NAM for a few weeks now. In order to get in the facebook group you've got to answer the question of what amp would you like to be profiled essentially and I put in the Hellwin lmao. Of course you'd be the person to profile one haha. Well done Alex! Sad to hear we don't have access to non AxeFX usable IR's of Syns cabs for now, but this is fucking awesome to see done! I look forward to trying these out probably later tonight!
    Glad to help out, hope you like them. Hopefully I can get some IR’s made in the near future

Reactions: Donovan Etue

Javier Wienarjati

Dec 7, 2021
    Indonesia
    www.instagram.com
    Thank you!! I've tried it on my DI. This morning I try to record Nobody, and fortunately I have 1 DI track. I put it on my DI track, then I use Mesa Boogie 4x12 IR. Here's the result, and please bear my bad pickings. :LOL:

I think it has a very "sharp" tone, I don't know what the right word for it.
    For the comparison I put my other video here

Here I use my NUX MG400, same IR, and Rectifier amp (Mesa simulator). I think it's softer than Hellwin.
    I'm sure Hellwin is a beast amp to handle. Syn and Papa Gates must be gods.

Last edited:
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Awex Came

Legend
    May 23, 2021
    Thank you!! I've tried it on my DI. This morning I try to record Nobody, and fortunately I have 1 DI track. I put it on my DI track, then I use Mesa Boogie 4x12 IR. Here's the result, and please bear my bad pickings. :LOL:

I think it has a very "sharp" tone, I don't know what the right word for it.
    For the comparison I put my other video here

Here I use my NUX MG400, same IR, and Rectifier amp (Mesa simulator). I think it's softer than Hellwin.
    I'm sure Hellwin is a beast amp to handle. Syn and Papa Gates must be gods.

I got the IRs here btw https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ic6aa7dz3srD7lqMRjNB4jI5T6KzxYmN
    Not mine, they're collected by a famous youtuber in my country.
    Nice! Which Syn setting did you use?
    Yeah it is a little sharp, I personally love that. Definitely a different beast than a Mesa Rectifier

Reactions: Javier Wienarjati

Javier Wienarjati

Dec 7, 2021
    Indonesia
    www.instagram.com
    Nice! Which Syn setting did you use?
    Yeah it is a little sharp, I personally love that. Definitely a different beast than a Mesa Rectifier
    I use Syn Lead 1 in this vid. I tried to change to Syn Lead 2 but I think they have same sharpness.
    Oh I forgot to mention that I use Boss overdrive for Rectifier booster, and no pedal for Hellwin. Still Hellwin a lot wilder than the Rectifier one.
    Definitely wild beast to handle.💪🔥

DXMG503

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    I used a free open source software called Neural Amp Modeler by Steve Atkinson (not to be confused with the company Neural DSP) to create "snapshots" or "profiles" or captures" of the Schecter Hellwin Amplifier using neural training to recreate the amplifier's sound. Not just any Hellwin amp, but Papa Gates' very own Hellwin. That's right, the artist behind hit's like "Fistfight at the Waffle House", "Ginger Bitch", and "Grandma Was A Racist". His mojo is now downloadable to YOUR computer!

What this software does is similar to the Kemper Profiling Amp, Neural DSP Quad Cortex, ToneX etc. by taking snapshots of amplifier settings and allowing you to take that with you and share it and add on to it. Only now you don't need an expensive piece of hardware, just your computer and an audio interface. However, making neural amp models isn't exactly user friendly.

View attachment 3417

This software currently only allows you to capture the amp heads and not cabinets. So you will have to pair this with a cabinet Impulse Response (IR) file to use it. I will be providing one, but feel free to go find others and explore. Different IR's can drastically change your sound. The only IR's of a Hellwin cab available are from the Synner store but they only work with Fractal Axe FX and not with this. He has used Bogner UberKab 4x12's and Mesa Boogie 4x12's in the past, so IR's of those could get you a similar sound.

Neural Amp Modeler is a newer software and is still technically in it's Beta phase. There are known issues and the software is consistently updated. It can run as a stand alone software or as an AU/VST3 plugin in your DAW. There are certain computer requirements such as operating systems and certain hardware. Here's the GitHub Page where you can find the latest version, known issues, the code, hardware requirements, etc. At the current moment, this plugin can be very CPU intensive. There are ways for me to make snapshots that are lighter on CPU, but it will make them less accurate and I'm not interested in that.

I made 3 captures. One of each channel according to Syn's settings from the Hellwin manual.

View attachment 3416

Things needed - Computer that meets minimum requirements & Audio Interface

Installation steps:

Step 1
    - Download Neural Amp Modeler
    Mac Download
    Windows Download

Step 2 - Install

Step 3 - Download my Hellwin amp models

Step 4 - Download this Impulse Response (IR) of a Mesa Boogie 2x12 cabinet with V30 speakers

Step 5 - Open Neural Amp Modeler
    If using the standalone app, it may default to your computers built in speakers and microphone. I would mute your speakers before opening and then change the audio device to your audio interface. Otherwise there will be a loud feedback loop.

If using as a plugin in your DAW, I would recommend the same thing depending on what your DAW defaults your audio devices as.

Step 6 - Open one of the amp models using "Select model..." at the bottom

Step 7 - Open your Impulse Response using "Select IR..." at the bottom

Step 8 - Shred

There are EQ Controls and a noise gate included in this plugin that you can disable. These do not reflect the knobs of an actual Hellwin amp and are for tonal shaping and balancing.

If you are experiencing latency, try lowering your buffer settings in your DAW if using as a plugin, or in your preferences if using the standalone application. This is dependent on your computer and audio interface.

You can also download all kinds of other amp models that users have made at ToneHunt.org
    Well done, thanks so much for this! I sooo desperately want Fractal Audio to add this amp to the Axe FX. That custom Bogner too 👀

Reactions: Ed Seith

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Fucking Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    That's awesome! I miss that amp more than you can imagine. Didn't realize how much I used it in the studio - ironically for mostly clean sounds. I'm glad it's in good hands and your paying it forward.
    And it was only moved twice. Into my house (by me) and out of my house (by you). That thing is a tank.

Awex Came

Legend
    May 23, 2021
    That's awesome! I miss that amp more than you can imagine. Didn't realize how much I used it in the studio - ironically for mostly clean sounds. I'm glad it's in good hands and your paying it forward.
    And it was only moved twice. Into my house (by me) and out of my house (by you). That thing is a tank.
    I always look at it and feel very appreciative, can’t ever thank you enough. I’m always happy to reamp some DI’s for you if you ever want that tone

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Fucking Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    I always look at it and feel very appreciative, can’t ever thank you enough. I’m always happy to reamp some DI’s for you if you ever want that tone
    All good. Suzy and I have a gig in town - every other Wednesday at a little bar. That's the only time I pick up my guitar. Just classic pop/rock stuff. You saw me in Long Beach - so you know the drill. I just use the Fractal through the PA. I literally use 4 different patches. And I NEVER have to practice. lol. Other than that and the occasional comedy gig down in NYC, I guess you could call me retired. I've stepped away from the school as well. I'm all about chickens and Hot Wheels now. Building a huge track in my loft and joining a diecast racing club. My 2nd childhood has officially begun.
    Hope all is well with you, my friend.

Awex Came

Legend
    May 23, 2021
    All good. Suzy and I have a gig in town - every other Wednesday at a little bar. That's the only time I pick up my guitar. Just classic pop/rock stuff. You saw me in Long Beach - so you know the drill. I just use the Fractal through the PA. I literally use 4 different patches. And I NEVER have to practice. lol. Other than that and the occasional comedy gig down in NYC, I guess you could call me retired. I've stepped away from the school as well. I'm all about chickens and Hot Wheels now. Building a huge track in my loft and joining a diecast racing club. My 2nd childhood has officially begun.
    Hope all is well with you, my friend.
    Hot Wheels and chickens? You have it made sir. I knew you’d have a good life in Vermont, but didn’t think it would be THAT good. Sounds like you’re enjoying life. I miss you and Suzy a lot. I hope to see you both at Madison Square Garden on June 23rd. I’m meeting my parents there to see the show and then going to PA with them. Literally booking flights and hotels as I type this.

Reactions: Ed Seith

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Fucking Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    Hot Wheels and chickens? You have it made sir. I knew you’d have a good life in Vermont, but didn’t think it would be THAT good. Sounds like you’re enjoying life. I miss you and Suzy a lot. I hope to see you both at Madison Square Garden on June 23rd. I’m meeting my parents there to see the show and then going to PA with them. Literally booking flights and hotels as I type this.
    Nice! Ironically - We'll be in California in June.

Reactions: Awex Came

Little Laguna05

Free Bird Player
    Feb 16, 2023

It just dawned on me that it his name is Alex ….