• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Guitar I wanna get better as a guitarist as a lead / rhythm

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Agree with Josh. While I've been playing for over 35 years and gigged a lot in the 90s, there are some neat things here and there that crop up and surprise you, so it's worth it.

The best way to PRACTICE rhythm playing, outside of having a band, is jamming along to the songs you love, paying close attention to the drums, and how the guitar interacts with them. Working with a metronome and being aware of the important parts of the beat and timing are invaluable for the rhythm player, which really is EVERY guitar player - there is no lead guitar without rhythm guitar.

Upvote 0

Heavy Darknez

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Dominican Republic
    www.youtube.com
    At the very beginning. Go through all of it one lesson at a time and slowly. Whether you already know it or not. You’ll find things out, that you never knew, about stuff you thought you knew.
    Ive been trying this a couple of times but I feel stuck and my playing it’s a lil bit dirty

Upvote 0

Heavy Darknez

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Dominican Republic
    www.youtube.com
    Agree with Josh. While I've been playing for over 35 years and gigged a lot in the 90s, there are some neat things here and there that crop up and surprise you, so it's worth it.

The best way to PRACTICE rhythm playing, outside of having a band, is jamming along to the songs you love, paying close attention to the drums, and how the guitar interacts with them. Working with a metronome and being aware of the important parts of the beat and timing are invaluable for the rhythm player, which really is EVERY guitar player - there is no lead guitar without rhythm guitar.
    Any specific advice on where or what should I do ? Cause metronome makes me un focus whether I’m recording or jamming . And I can do Rythyms but cant do a lot of lead but I want to learn harmony melody etc

Upvote 0

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Spend more time with the metronome then, to get used to it. That or drum loops from an app or on youtube. If you can't play to a metronome or click tightly, you're not playing good rhythm. It's not just the notes - the timing is as important or MORE important than the notes.

Upvote 0

Forgetabull

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Spend more time with the metronome then, to get used to it. That or drum loops from an app or on youtube. If you can't play to a metronome or click tightly, you're not playing good rhythm. It's not just the notes - the timing is as important or MORE important than the notes.

This +1

You'll be surprised, you can often hit the wrong note and/or chord and people won't generally notice if you have that rhythm locked in. Also, once you get good at counting beats/feeling that rhythm, it allows you to pick up mid song if you're playing with others.

Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Meezy Chaos

Free Bird Player
    Apr 8, 2022
    Cincinnati
    Like what pretty much everyone else has said; using a metronome and counting beats is pretty vital. Try to practice whenever you feel motivated, even if its just 5 minutes or less, any practice you can get can help you. Just remember, it can take years to improve and to notice how much you've grown since you've began, so if it seems like theres no hope, dont give up! 😁

Upvote 0

Heavy Darknez

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Dominican Republic
    www.youtube.com
    Like what pretty much everyone else has said; using a metronome and counting beats is pretty vital. Try to practice whenever you feel motivated, even if its just 5 minutes or less, any practice you can get can help you. Just remember, it can take years to improve and to notice how much you've grown since you've began, so if it seems like theres no hope, dont give up! 😁
    Thanks to everyone tbh lately I’ve been feeling I haven’t done any progress now I realize I’m intermediate level but I’ll keep practicing on the metronome ♥️

Reactions: Meezy Chaos
    Upvote 0