• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Ibanez Roadstar II

Gabriel Perez

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Salt Lake City, UT
    open.spotify.com
    I have an Ibanez Roadstar II with a faulty bridge. I’ve done some measurements to see if maybe I can find a replacement. It was given to me by a friend who never really gave the guitar love because he never really liked Floyd Rose bridges (even though this isn’t one) and so everything just has rust and some other stuff I had to clean up. I’ve looked up videos on how to restring these but some steps don’t work due to some of the mechanisms not functioning anymore.

-from stud to stud is 73.2mm/2.88 in
    -length is 60.5mm/2.38 in
    -total width is 93.3 mm/3.67 in

Also: for some reason I can’t post the pictures because the file sizes are too large. I’ll try to post pictures as soon as I can

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    The Ibanez Pro Rock'r bridge is VERY scarce these days. They haven't made them in DECADES. I had one, on my very first guitar. From a basic architecture perspective, it's not much different than a Floyd Rose - the bridge pivots on two fulcrum screws and the strings are counter-balanced by three springs and a claw in the cavity in the body of the guitar. It has movable individual saddles and fine tuners. If I remember right, instead of removing the ball-ends from strings, the Pro Rock'r uses a system that is closer to how an acoustic steel-string guitar works, with a drop-pin that holds the string in place by the ball, with a Phillips head screw in each pin.

It's actually a solid bridge, and served me well learning to divebomb until I got my first Floyd, a 1990 Ibanez RG550.

Your best bet, since you say rust has locked a lot of the parts, I would try the following method after removing the bridge from the guitar:

It should be possible, with time and patience (and these instructions) to free the frozen/locked parts and salvage the unit, as I am unable to find any direcct-replacement unit that would not require filling and sanding the existing post holes and creating all new ones, a significant amount of work best undertaken by an experienced guitar technician (a luthier is a guitar BUILDER, not a repairperson).