• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

I'm done with lead playing

Lachlan Hayden

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
I’m done with lead playing because, it’s so frustrating I can’t play anything clean, I can’t find anything to help me I’m done with it. Im going back to the thing I’m good at rhythm playing. Its the only thing that makes sense. I don’t want to play fast anymore or be the shredding cool guy. Ive accepted that I’m never going to do that I’m not motivated that much to work that hard to do that. I think it’s more important to play rhythm because 90 percent of what people play is rhythm. Lead is to frustrating for me. I can come up with leads that are melodic and emotional but I can’t play fast or even slow at times because it’s so sloppy and not clean my lead tone is horrible. So I’m done with lead I feel like I’m actually going to have more fun playing now. I’m sure no one will even comment on this so I dnot know why I’m doing this

Dylan Burley

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Bud. Lead is definitely not easy. But don’t give up. If you are trying to learn lead on distortion. Turn of the distortion. SLOW IT DOWN and most importantly play with a metronome. I have only been playing for 4 years and I’m not the best out there. Bit I know that if you stick to it. Take it slow and practice with a metronome. You will see an improvement. Maybe even within a week. Record yourself playing a lead part and then practice that with a metronome and take it slow then once you feel comfortable at that speed. Then speed it up a bit. Do that for a week and you will be impressed with what you can do. Never give up. Even Syn struggles at times. And it never comes out clean sometimes. He has admmited this. Just stick with it!

Lachlan Hayden

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Well you see anytime I try posting something like hey guys I need some help with muting either no one post anything or one person does and I try it and it doesn’t work. Please if you know anything to help with synchronization and muting please let me know. Thanks for the support though

Vasrely Derian

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Everytime someone asks you to post a video of you playing, You don’t. It will be much easier for people to identify your problem if they can see your technique or how you play. Even if they don’t respond, go to guitar subreddits. Bunch of guitarists willing to help you out.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Noah Berends

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Fort Wayne, IN
    There’s nothing wrong with being a rhythm player! A band can’t exist without someone who can lock down the rhythm of the song and add the meat and potatoes. If that’s what you wanna do, then go all in and be the greatest rhythm player there is. Don’t treat it like a demotion, rather treat it like a change of plans. There’s nothing lesser about being a rhythm player. They’re just as vital as everybody else.

Jamie London

GYNNER
    Staff member
  • Nov 11, 2019
    California
    synner.com
    Some of the greatest guitar players of all time are/were rhythm based. Keith Richards for instance. That guy is a machine and has come up with some of the most tasty, creative riffs and moments one could ever hope to hear. Just listen to what he’s doing on the Exile on Main Street, or Sticky Fingers albums. Nothing wrong with being a rhythm player at all. I myself try to balance between rhythm and lead. I’m bettter at rhythm but love learning and playing lead. Just do what you wanna do and have fun with it. 🙂

J

Jak Angelescu

Lachlan you really need to stop discrediting this community. When you say “Every time I ask no one posts anything or it’s only one person.”
    It doesn’t matter if it’s only one person. That person took time out of their day to try and help you. OR, I have seen you posting numerous times with several people trying to help.
    I’m not trying to start a fight. But a while ago you said some really mean things about this community, and abruptly left.
    I was SOOO happy to see you back again. I really was. But now you’re back at it with dissing this community by acting like no one has tried to help you.
    A part of improvement is a frame of mind. You have to BELIEVE you’re going to get better and make it happen. Several people (myself included) have tried to offer live sessions with you and you just won’t do it.
    Try Aaron above. He’s offered and he’s really good.
    If the admins feel this was out of line i’m sorry but I only say this out of tough love in hopes you improve at your passion. Stop bashing yourself. Stop giving up.

G

Just let me remind you Lachlan, that you wrote this:
    “You have to practice to get good at guitar I know I’m no where near good but if I work on it I will become much better. I’m going to tell you something every beginning guitar player should know. You will be bad at something at first, try to remember something you did and you weren’t good at if you remember you probably had to practice it in order to get better.
    Take the time and practice don’t practice one thing for a minute and say we’ll I practiced because that’s not practiceing right, there is wrong practice and right practice.”
    And there was more to it than this.
    Going by your own advice mate, you got to do most of the effort. Not everyone replies to every topic on here, But that shouldn’t affect your progress.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Lachlan Hayden

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Well, I’m not trying to try to make any one upset or anything like that, I know you guys have helped me a lot but it’s like no one reply’s when I upload a riff. Belive me there is some great people in this community, and yes my leaving post was something I regret I almost felt like I should do an apology for that. My intention was not to try to be rude to the community or anyone in that regard. Some of the things I say come of as mean or rude sometimes because the way I word things and I don’t really think about it. So let me restate this whole entire post.
    Hey guys could you maybe help me out with my lead playing it sounds off like my hand is not synchronized, my muting I noticed is also off. Can you guys maybe share some tips, or maybe I can upload so you can. Thank you.
    Like I said my intent was not to be rude to anyone and now from today foward I will stop being the guitar player I don’t want to be, because I don’t like guitar players that have a big ego or are rude. So thank you for making realize this. Please all love and nothing else we should be coming together as a community not become apart.
    So if you guys know anything that can help those two aspects of my playing send me a private message or leave it here. Thanks again 🙂

Sayonil Mitra

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Yo Lachlan, don’t be disheartened. Playing lead is by no means easy and remains a mystery for many of us. But we have our own tastes and expectations from ourselves. So do not let your expectation bog you down. Discover it at your own pace. Just go through Syn’s solo trouble thread and you will see how many pieces need to be there in this jigsaw puzzle called “playing solo”.
    Also, try exploring playing rhythm guitar a little bit. I am absolutely fan of that aspect of guitar playing. It might refresh your ideas for solo playing as well.