• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

I'm just some guy from NJ, but I have developed a foolproof way to learn any instrument.

Notyour Beezwax

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
I've been playing guitar for close to 30 years but I just started playing piano about 1.5 years ago and I came up with this way to learn. I started it with piano but I have also applied it to guitar and I feel it works well at any level. Here's how it works:

Step 1: Set a minimum amount of time to play, this can be any amount you can handle but I wouldn't go under 20min per day, 1 hour a day works great when you're starting out though.

Step 2: Play 5 days a week minimum, play more if you can but don't go under 5, this is the most important step.

Step 3: Have things lined up to practice. I keep a list of songs I want to learn on my phone and a list of lesson articles in my bookmarks or I go to the next Lesson or Etude from The Syn Gates School. Or just play the songs you know, play them with backing tracks, or solo over backing tracks, play what you want and have fun. This is important too, if you don't have anything to practice you are less likely to practice so if you miss this step you'll also miss step 2.

Step 4: Be goal oriented in that if you play 5 days you achieve your goal for the week, pat yourself on the back, crack open a beer and spark a J. Do not be focused on getting better, if you play enough you will get better but you won't get better if you don't play enough.

Step 5: This is optional but if I follow this schedule for a year I buy some new gear, a new guitar or amp, or whatever. I also say if you miss a day or week here or there because you go out of town or your grandma dies in a freak jet ski accident, take some time to get over it but get back to playing as soon as you can, Grannie would have wanted it that way.

Last edited:

TheTroller

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
Nov 16, 2020
I've been playing guitar for close to 30 years but I just started playing piano about 1.5 years ago and I came up with this way to learn. I started it with piano but I have also applied it to guitar and I feel it works well at any level. Here's how it works:

Step 1: Set a minimum amount of time to play, this can be any amount you can handle but I wouldn't go under 20min per day, 1 hour a day works great when you're starting out though.

Step 2: Play 5 days a week minimum, play more if you can but don't go under 5, this is the most important step.

Step 3: Have things lined up to practice. I keep a list of songs I want to learn on my phone and a list of lesson articles in my bookmarks or I go to the next Lesson or Etude from The Syn Gates School. Or just play the songs you know, play them with backing tracks, or solo over backing tracks, play what you want and have fun. This is important too, if you don't have anything to practice you are less likely to practice so if you miss this step you'll also miss step 2.

Step 4: Be goal oriented in that if you play 5 days you achieve your goal for the week, pat yourself on the back, crack open a beer and spark a J. Do not be focused on getting better, if you play enough you will get better but you won't get better if you don't play enough.

Step 5: This is optional but if I follow this schedule for a year I buy some new gear, a new guitar or amp, or whatever. I also say if you miss a day or week here or there because you go out of town or your grandma dies in a freak jet ski accident, take some time to get over it but get back to playing as soon as you can, Grannie would have wanted it that way.
> Step 1: Set a minimum amount of time to play, this can be any amount you can handle but I wouldn't go under 20min per day, 1 hour a day works great when you're starting out though.

I like to overwork my fretting hand to exhaustion, and then I wake up with much better muscle memory.

chris_is_cool

Hot Topic Tourer
Apr 18, 2020
Cologne, Germany
Not gonna lie, when I read the post title I had to think about these obnoxious facebook ads, "With these 5 tricks from my ultimate guitar mastery method, you will be able to shred in NO time, skipping YEARS ahead in progress and NO BORING THEORY!!!" :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: .

Happy to say, your advise is great of course and has nothing to do with these ads. I make sure to set at least 30-45 mins aside per day for pure mechanical practice to a metronome, mostly 3nps patterns atm. I reward myself with just fucking around and learning riffs and songs that I like after the pure practice is concluded for the day.

Reactions: Ed Seith