• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Impedance and Wattage

Jeremy Healey

Hot Topic Tourer
Legend+
Legend
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Newfoundland and Labrador
    Hey Everyone! I got a bit of a different question to put out there.

So very recently I managed to purchase a Hellwin! Exciting. The difficult part is that it is from the UK and requires a 240v power supply, where here in North America we use 120V. This is fine as I have a work around via a little transformer that converts the power to 240v. Ive been using it with the Slant Hellwin cab it came with no issues, and it sounds fantastic!

Leading up to my question, I also own a 5150 Iconic Head and Cab. Its a straight cab with a 16ohm impedance (which is also the same as the hellwin slant cab I have).
    SO, my question is, am I able to use the 5150 Cab along with the Hellwin Head and Cab to form a full stack? And what impedance selection should I set it to on the Hellwin head (8 ohms or 16 ohms?), but would the wattage requirement difference affect anything?

Pictures of the back of each cab for reference:
    IMG_6622.jpg
    IMG_6623.jpg

Last edited:
    Solution
    Journeyman Red Seal electrician here, my main advice to you would be to get a manual for the Hellwin amp (online if necessary), then read it as it should answer your questions. However, I can also offer some information.
    #1 You need a load (in this case the cab) which has an impedance at least equal to the impedance of the amp. It's ok if the speakers/cabinets exceed the impedance of the amp, but it is not ok if the impedance of the speakers/cabinets is lower than the impedance of the amp
    Thus, if the hellwin head and cab works at 16 ohms you know that you can go at least as low as that, and the 16 ohm 5150 will work safely since it is also 16 ohms. If you want to operate the hellwin amp with a cabinet as low as 8 ohms or 4 ohms for...

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Not sure but possible circuit fry or something could go wrong cause the volts.
    Just read what impedance means

the opposition to electrical flow

Impedance, represented by the symbol Z, is a measure of the opposition to electrical flow. It is measured in ohms. For DC systems, impedance and resistance are the same, defined as the voltage across an element divided by the current (R = V/I).

Probably risky, but i have no experience or am a profressional

maybe the variax thing is helps level the power outputs

Reactions: Jeremy Healey
    Upvote 0

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Yes, you can use the cab in the same way. Typically the output ohms won't change, so using two speakers would give you 8 ohms impedance for each (16/2)). The pics of the cab spell that out, as well - if you use the "stereo" aspect of the cab config. they're 8 ohms each.

The question would be if you do (if you CAN?) run both cabs as mono straight from the head. It SHOULD still be 8 each, but I don't want to be overly confident on that.

You might be able to write to Schecter and ask for an NA-spec transformer to install in the Hellwin, if you're interested.

Upvote 0

Jeremy Healey

Hot Topic Tourer
    Legend+
    Legend
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Yes, you can use the cab in the same way. Typically the output ohms won't change, so using two speakers would give you 8 ohms impedance for each (16/2)). The pics of the cab spell that out, as well - if you use the "stereo" aspect of the cab config. they're 8 ohms each.

The question would be if you do (if you CAN?) run both cabs as mono straight from the head. It SHOULD still be 8 each, but I don't want to be overly confident on that.

You might be able to write to Schecter and ask for an NA-spec transformer to install in the Hellwin, if you're interested.
    I sent Schecter an email there last night! Always doesnt hurt to ask.

As for the full stack setup, when I plug both cabs into the head and set the impedance to 8 ohms, it makes no sound whatsoever. But when I plug the hellwin cab to the head by itself as a half stack, it works fine again. Not sure whats going on with that, but I'm probably better off leaving it as a half.

As im writing this I just received an email back from Schecter :LOL: They basically said they wouldn't recommend replacing the transformer. Oh well 😅

Reactions: Ed Seith
    Upvote 0

Eric Kane

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Just wanted to add a little bit to the discussion here. I purchased one of my Hellwin heads from someone in Europe, and so I had a similar issue as yours. I wanted the transformer replaced, and Schecter did not have any available for purchase at that time, so I wouldn't expect them to have any available now. They have told me more than once that the Hellwin line is discontinued and they can't support anything for them. My amp technician then went to Mercury Magnetics and had them design and build one specifically for the Hellwin. So, theoretically, you should be able to get a Hellwin transformer from Mercury Magnetics now since they did the custom design for mine a few years ago. But I haven't looked into that since then...

Upvote 0

Jeremy Healey

Hot Topic Tourer
    Legend+
    Legend
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Just wanted to add a little bit to the discussion here. I purchased one of my Hellwin heads from someone in Europe, and so I had a similar issue as yours. I wanted the transformer replaced, and Schecter did not have any available for purchase at that time, so I wouldn't expect them to have any available now. They have told me more than once that the Hellwin line is discontinued and they can't support anything for them. My amp technician then went to Mercury Magnetics and had them design and build one specifically for the Hellwin. So, theoretically, you should be able to get a Hellwin transformer from Mercury Magnetics now since they did the custom design for mine a few years ago. But I haven't looked into that since then...
    I had a quick glance at their website and there are no options or search results for Hellwin. But I will definitely shoot them off an email to inquire.
    Now as for replacing the transformer, how much trouble is it to swap that out? There wouldn't be any kind of technicians remotely close to do that for me, so Id be the one to do it if I go that route.

Upvote 0

Eric Kane

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    I had a quick glance at their website and there are no options or search results for Hellwin. But I will definitely shoot them off an email to inquire.
    Now as for replacing the transformer, how much trouble is it to swap that out? There wouldn't be any kind of technicians remotely close to do that for me, so Id be the one to do it if I go that route.
    I don't really KNOW for sure how much it would take to swap it, but messing around inside a tube amp with large capacitors can be deadly, so I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself unless you have a very good understanding of what is what, and what can kill you. I'm not exaggerating - it can and will kill you if you touch the wrong wire or the capacitors. It's probably not too difficult of a job, but these amps are special, so you don't want to mess it up, and you also don't want to die trying.

I have built a small Fender style tweed amp, but I would never mess with my Hellwins, or any other large amps, past changing the tubes. I had to take mine to a guy over an hour away. Check around and see if you can find someone that works on or builds amps. Sometimes the people at Guitar Center or other music stores might know someone that works on them as well. The Guitar Center nearest to me sent all of their amp work to the guy that I know. If there truly is nobody within a couple hours, I would still find a reputable amp tech and just ship it back and forth, over trying to do it myself. Just my opinion.

Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Daniel Verde

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    Journeyman Red Seal electrician here, my main advice to you would be to get a manual for the Hellwin amp (online if necessary), then read it as it should answer your questions. However, I can also offer some information.
    #1 You need a load (in this case the cab) which has an impedance at least equal to the impedance of the amp. It's ok if the speakers/cabinets exceed the impedance of the amp, but it is not ok if the impedance of the speakers/cabinets is lower than the impedance of the amp
    Thus, if the hellwin head and cab works at 16 ohms you know that you can go at least as low as that, and the 16 ohm 5150 will work safely since it is also 16 ohms. If you want to operate the hellwin amp with a cabinet as low as 8 ohms or 4 ohms for example you have to select the impedance of the hellwin to be at least that low on the amp (read the manual for that)
    #2 If you want to be able to use the 5150 Cab along with the Hellwin Head and Cab to form a full stack?... I know if you wire the cabs in series their Impedance would be additive, meaning that 16 ohms + 16 ohms = 32 ohms which would in theory be fine... but if you wired them in parallel the impedance would be (16*16)/(16+16)=8 ohms if they are wired in parallel, and as I already said you'd have to select the 8 or possibly 4 ohm impedance on the Hellwin for that (read the manual).
    #3 Impedance selection will affect your guitar tone, so it's all personal preference/subjective. Experiment and decide for yourself what you like the sound of.
    #4 You mentioned wattage, don't worry about that. Wattage is a byproduct of voltage... if you got the correct voltage to your amp... you're good.

Upvote 0
    Solution

Ed Seith

Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    These were provided to me a couple years ago by @Eric Kane and might be helpful.

Attachments

• SYN100-H_CleanLeadSupply_RevB_09Jun2013fc LWJ.PDF
      573 KB · Views: 61
    • SYN100-H_Lead2-Master_RevA_16APR2013fc.pdf
      204.8 KB · Views: 81
    • SYN100H-PowerAmp_RevB_09Jun2013fc LWJ.PDF
      446.3 KB · Views: 63
    • Love
    Reactions: Jeremy Healey
    Upvote 0

Jeremy Healey

Hot Topic Tourer
    Legend+
    Legend
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Thus, if the hellwin head and cab works at 16 ohms you know that you can go at least as low as that, and the 16 ohm 5150 will work safely since it is also 16 ohms. If you want to operate the hellwin amp with a cabinet as low as 8 ohms or 4 ohms for example you have to select the impedance of the hellwin to be at least that low on the amp (read the manual for that)
    #2 If you want to be able to use the 5150 Cab along with the Hellwin Head and Cab to form a full stack?... I know if you wire the cabs in series their Impedance would be additive, meaning that 16 ohms + 16 ohms = 32 ohms which would in theory be fine... but if you wired them in parallel the impedance would be (16*16)/(16+16)=8 ohms if they are wired in parallel, and as I already said you'd have to select the 8 or possibly 4 ohm impedance on the Hellwin for that (read the manual).
    #3 Impedance selection will affect your guitar tone, so it's all personal preference/subjective. Experiment and decide for yourself what you like the sound of.
    #4 You mentioned wattage, don't worry about that. Wattage is a byproduct of voltage... if you got the correct voltage to your amp... you're good.
    Thank you so much for the info! I was a bit scared to try and connect it as a full stack as I didn't want to damage anything but Ill give it a try next time Im picking at it. Also, I love how you introduced yourself, "Journeyman Red Seal" because whenever im answering people's questions on bodywork and paint work I introduce myself the exact same way 😂

These were provided to me a couple years ago by @Eric Kane and might be helpful.
    Ed thank you so much for these! I love having detailed wiring diagrams for the electronics / vehicles I own. They are an invaluable resource to have and I very much appreciate it! I probably wont be messing with the internals as I have it plugged into a voltage transformer already and it works perfectly. It maybe be a bit more inconvenient, but a stack setup is already that aha

Upvote 0

Daniel Verde

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    Also, I love how you introduced yourself, "Journeyman Red Seal" because whenever im answering people's questions on bodywork and paint work I introduce myself the exact same way 😂
    Yeah man, you gotta show your credibility :p
    And now that I know your profession I have a follow up question for you, what is your opinion on wrapping a car vs. painting it? I have a black golf r, and I'm seriously interested in the way this looks but I have reservations about wrapping my vehicle.

Upvote 0

Jeremy Healey

Hot Topic Tourer
    Legend+
    Legend
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Yeah man, you gotta show your credibility :p
    And now that I know your profession I have a follow up question for you, what is your opinion on wrapping a car vs. painting it? I have a black golf r, and I'm seriously interested in the way this looks but I have reservations about wrapping my vehicle.
    You got to absolutely show your credentials aha.

Ive currently dont have any experience with wrapping a vehicle, but I have just purchased a few tools to try it out! But my opinion on it, I think its definitely got its benefits over paint. Its much cheaper and faster than a full paint job, and there is a wide variety of colors to choose from the more popular it gets. It also protects your original paint from road wear and UV damage! I try not to be that old bodyman who hates change aha, but in saying that I find theres nothing better than a clean, well done paint job.

To the regular person it might not matter between the two, but where I know the process and the effort that goes into a paint job, I can appreciate it. But with all of todays technology it all boils down to personal preference and availability of services. My small little town offers zero wrapping services, but I can do a mean paint job :rock-hand:

Reactions: Ed Seith
    Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Daniel Verde

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    You got to absolutely show your credentials aha.

Ive currently dont have any experience with wrapping a vehicle, but I have just purchased a few tools to try it out! But my opinion on it, I think its definitely got its benefits over paint. Its much cheaper and faster than a full paint job, and there is a wide variety of colors to choose from the more popular it gets. It also protects your original paint from road wear and UV damage! I try not to be that old bodyman who hates change aha, but in saying that I find theres nothing better than a clean, well done paint job.

To the regular person it might not matter between the two, but where I know the process and the effort that goes into a paint job, I can appreciate it. But with all of todays technology it all boils down to personal preference and availability of services. My small little town offers zero wrapping services, but I can do a mean paint job :rock-hand:
    Right on, thanks for the info. I agree paint is best (I prefer the old ways). Any cons to wrapping that you can think of that regular people might not know about?

Upvote 0

Ed Seith

Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Right on, thanks for the info. I agree paint is best (I prefer the old ways). Any cons to wrapping that you can think of that regular people might not know about?
    You mean, aside from THAT ONE ASSHOLE FRIEND we all have who would find an edge and pull?

Upvote 0

Jeremy Healey

Hot Topic Tourer
    Legend+
    Legend
  • Nov 11, 2019
    You mean, aside from THAT ONE ASSHOLE FRIEND we all have who would find an edge and pull?
    There’s definitely that 🤣 as for cons, it would be harder to repair is all I can think of currently. Can’t touch up a wrap or buff out light scratches. It’s definitely a totally different skill set compared to paint so I wouldn’t let just anybody do it if I were getting a vehicle wrapped and spending serious money on it.
    As for the rest, you can wax/ceramic coat it just like paint to make it more hydrophobic.

Upvote 0