• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Important PSA for All Tube Amp Lovers

Noah Berends

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Hey everyone! As a lover of all things vacuum tube myself, I know a lot of people here will really benefit from this information as well, and since I deal with this daily as my job I thought it important to give everyone here a heads-up that will be extremely important.

We all collectively lost access to replacement tubes this week for the foreseeable future.

As we're all well aware of the destructive mess currently ongoing in Europe, we guitarists are a niche group directly affected. Save from JJ's, the vast majority of the world's tubes come from Russian factories. Russia sanctioned over 200 exports as a result of this conflict, and amp tubes are one of them. Additionally, China's singular tube factory is more or less MIA currently. That really only leaves JJ's out of Slovakia to now shoulder the demand of the entire vacuum tube market. JJ is going to have an extremely difficult time matching this astronomical demand increase. Some may get lucky with a shipment here or there, and I'm not really one for doom-saying things, but I would not be surprised if the next possible tube change on our amps doesn't happen before 2023.

So, treat your tube amps a bit extra carefully. If you have to play a gig, consider using a modeller and save the good stuff for your playing at home where you don't have to put as much strain on your amp.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Matt Wildcat

The Fierce Deity
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    Damn! I suppose this is probably the one time I'm glad I don't have a tube amp, as much as I've always wanted one. Had no idea that they supplied most of the tubes for them! Keeping my fingers crossed that anyone who does need them can get hold of them though!

Reactions: Noah Berends

Noah Berends

• Nov 11, 2019
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Damn! I suppose this is probably the one time I'm glad I don't have a tube amp, as much as I've always wanted one. Had no idea that they supplied most of the tubes for them! Keeping my fingers crossed that anyone who does need them can get hold of them though!
    For sure! It sucks because we didn't really have time to prepare...by the time the news really broke it was already past the cutoff. If anyone is looking for a very high-quality software solution for relatively little money, Neural DSP's Archetype programs are extremely good.

Reactions: Matt Wildcat

Noah Berends

• Nov 11, 2019
    Fort Wayne, IN
    AxeFX has virtual tubes that are always optimized and never wear out. Just sayin...

(My MT-15 doesn't get enough use to wear the tubes out)
    I'm heavily considering a Quad Cortex since they're gonna add integration with their Archetype VSTs and the ability to pull them to the unit. But, that's still a while out yet 'till I could get hands on one...

Reactions: Ed Seith

Andrew Milner

• Nov 11, 2019
    andreilucianmoraru.com
    I'm heavily considering a Quad Cortex since they're gonna add integration with their Archetype VSTs and the ability to pull them to the unit. But, that's still a while out yet 'till I could get hands on one...

For realisies they're considering this? That'd be...mondo-amazing, given how much I (ab)use their VSTs :LOL: .

Synner Endless Summer Collection

CharredremainZ

Hot Topic Tourer
    Jun 2, 2021
    Greeley, PA
    Hey everyone! As a lover of all things vacuum tube myself, I know a lot of people here will really benefit from this information as well, and since I deal with this daily as my job I thought it important to give everyone here a heads-up that will be extremely important.

We all collectively lost access to replacement tubes this week for the foreseeable future.

As we're all well aware of the destructive mess currently ongoing in Europe, we guitarists are a niche group directly affected. Save from JJ's, the vast majority of the world's tubes come from Russian factories. Russia sanctioned over 200 exports as a result of this conflict, and amp tubes are one of them. Additionally, China's singular tube factory is more or less MIA currently. That really only leaves JJ's out of Slovakia to now shoulder the demand of the entire vacuum tube market. JJ is going to have an extremely difficult time matching this astronomical demand increase. Some may get lucky with a shipment here or there, and I'm not really one for doom-saying things, but I would not be surprised if the next possible tube change on our amps doesn't happen before 2023.

So, treat your tube amps a bit extra carefully. If you have to play a gig, consider using a modeller and save the good stuff for your playing at home where you don't have to put as much strain on your amp.
    We're all in luck, believe it's a Georgia based company called western electric and they will be starting up a factory to produce American made tubes with better quality and craftsmanship, stock symbol is WEC 👌🏽

Reactions: Noah Berends