• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Important Strumming Patterns – Lesson 19

chris_is_cool

Hot Topic Tourer
Apr 18, 2020
Cologne, Germany
Honestly, the palm mute coming from open strumming is killing me right now. My guitar teacher wants me to learn it as well, and I find it a lot harder than any technique I learned up to this point. I can palm mute tight power chords just fine, but doing a white open strumming pattern and incorporating palm muting into that... uff

Reactions: Brian Haner Sr.

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
Staff member
Legend+
Fucking Legend
Nov 11, 2019
I reached back to the Beatles, The Eagles, Boston, and a lot of older rock and pop to practice strumming with real bits of music rather than repeating exercises. That taught me how to strum much quicker. Cheers folks
Great idea! It's always better to practice an actual song. If you know what it's supposed to sound like - that gives you a huge head-start.

Peter Martins

New Student
Jul 20, 2020
Honestly, the palm mute coming from open strumming is killing me right now. My guitar teacher wants me to learn it as well, and I find it a lot harder than any technique I learned up to this point. I can palm mute tight power chords just fine, but doing a white open strumming pattern and incorporating palm muting into that... uff
Make sure your holding the pick properly, and experiment with ways you can mute the guitar without and pause or with a very small pause that's barely noticeable while you switch chords

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Clay

New Student
Sep 16, 2020
I can't mute the 2nd and 4th for the life of me! HELP!!!! 😂😂😂😂
Practice with a metroknome so you can slow down enough to nail it, don't be afraid to play at 80bpm or slower. Once you find a comfortable tempo go up 5 bpm at a time to slowly work yourself up to the speed you desire. You'll nail it in no time, I wish you luck!

J

Jak Angelescu

I'm actually revisiting these beginner lessons and that muting the "2 and 4" is a lot harder than it seems, and I considered myself a decent rhythm guitarist! I'm having trouble not scraping the top of my picking hand index finger on the strings when I mute the 2 and 4 with my right hand as well. Anyone else have this issue or know what causes it?

Reactions: redlipsofdeceit

redlipsofdeceit

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Contest Winner!
  • Oct 21, 2020
    Brazil
    www.instagram.com
    I'm actually revisiting these beginner lessons and that muting the "2 and 4" is a lot harder than it seems, and I considered myself a decent rhythm guitarist! I'm having trouble not scraping the top of my picking hand index finger on the strings when I mute the 2 and 4 with my right hand as well. Anyone else have this issue or know what causes it?
    I'm also having this problem with the 2nd and 4th and I felt very upset, 'cause it seemed like something very simple and easy, but it's not.
    Same thing about scraping the finger. I tried holding the pick different ways, to see if the problem was solved, and the best one was to hold the pick with the tips of my fingers, but then I lost some precision and control of my strumming.

• Wow
    Reactions: Jak Angelescu
    J

Jak Angelescu

I'm also having this problem with the 2nd and 4th and I felt very upset, 'cause it seemed like something very simple and easy, but it's not.
    Same thing about scraping the finger. I tried holding the pick different ways, to see if the problem was solved, and the best one was to hold the pick with the tips of my fingers, but then I lost some precision and control of my strumming.
    I am glad to hear I am not the only one! I'm getting a little bit more used to muting but the scraping on my index finger is killing me lol! I also have tried many different ways and I just can't seem to find anything

Reactions: redlipsofdeceit
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Scraping the index finger. Hmmm. You're doing something not-right here.

The idea here is that you're sort of maintaining the tick-tock pattern of consistent up and down strokes. Since it's one and two and, all of your upstrokes are on "and" and all the downstrokes are on a number. So when you get to "2," that should be your second downstroke.

Now, in execution, you're still doing the downstroke. The difference is that at the end of that downstroke, you put the palm (the fleshy part of your pinky-edge of the hand) down on the strings to mute them, "Rhythmically." Picture just doing a downstroked power chord where you DON'T want it to ring out majestically through the stadium - you want a super-quick "strum MUTE" to happen.

Maybe that makes a little more sense?

Reactions: chris_is_cool

chris_is_cool

Hot Topic Tourer
    Apr 18, 2020
    Cologne, Germany
    Scraping the index finger. Hmmm. You're doing something not-right here.

The idea here is that you're sort of maintaining the tick-tock pattern of consistent up and down strokes. Since it's one and two and, all of your upstrokes are on "and" and all the downstrokes are on a number. So when you get to "2," that should be your second downstroke.

Now, in execution, you're still doing the downstroke. The difference is that at the end of that downstroke, you put the palm (the fleshy part of your pinky-edge of the hand) down on the strings to mute them, "Rhythmically." Picture just doing a downstroked power chord where you DON'T want it to ring out majestically through the stadium - you want a super-quick "strum MUTE" to happen.

Maybe that makes a little more sense?
    I noticed, I actually have a similar/the same problem. I think, the issue is that I'm holding the pick pretty much as Papa Gates suggests in the beginner lesson, and use only the very top of the pick to, well, pick/strum/whatever. Because of this, and due to the angle of my index finger during a strum, it is super easy to get a little bit to exited during strums and scrape the top of the index finger over the strings, in particular the bit below the nails.

Its an issue with the energetic strums, like these strum-mutes. Actually just talking about it made me more conscious about the issue, and the solution for me is clear, just leave more pick outside for strums like these (and control the motion a bit more) 😅😂.
    20210325_195634.jpg
    20210325_195152.jpg