• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Improvisation Tips

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    Hey Eoghan,

There are so many entry points into soloing over changes. However one that helped me the most was really delving into understanding how Triads are layed out on the Neck and how they relate to one another.

I'm planning on making a short video discussing Major & Minor Triads soon so I'll send it your way once it's up 🤟

The easiest way to conceptualize the Triadic approach is that your Triads are highlighting (usually) the Chord tones of whichever chord you're soloing over - these will be the most stable notes to choose to support the chord.

If you understand that a Major Triad comes from the wider Major Scale, then you eventually come to realise that you can use each the Triad as a base point and find other notes that aren't in the chord, but are in the wider Major Scale - these non chord tones can be referred to as colour tones (as adding them to the chord will give it extra colour etc)

The idea is that you work with these small Triad shapes and expand on them. I tend to find I get more melodic results from using them as I'm not tied into a huge scale shape 👌

Hope this helps and I'll try and get a video up soon 😊

Upvote 0