• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Introduction to Power Chords and Palm Muting – Lesson 18

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    I've always used my fist and fourth fingers for power chords. Switching to the first and third is a stretch for me and cramps lol. Is there a downside to using the fourth instead of the third?
    Well you have to use your third and fourth Finger when you do those 3 notes Power chords (sorry, theory noob myself)
    So it might be a good Idea to get at least comfortable with playing them Like this as well. Having Said that, I primarily use the 1st and 4th Finger as Well. :)

Reactions: David Deatherage
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    I've always used my fist and fourth fingers for power chords. Switching to the first and third is a stretch for me and cramps lol. Is there a downside to using the fourth instead of the third?
    Honestly, I've been using first and third finger for years but when I wanted to learn the intro of Layla I had to switch to first and fourth because that made playing it that much easier. I think it solely depends on the situation, for example In Layla using your fourth finger instead of the third makes it just a little bit easier to play but if you want to use your third finger it works just the same

Kai C

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Nov 11, 2019
    Naha Okinawa
    @David Deatherage like everyone else said it's a comfort based decision so whatever works works. Using the 3rd simply opens up the 4th to add shit in as you go. But as far as cramping goes, make sure you're stretching, have proper hand/wrist position, and the tension on your guitar is balanced. I had the same issue and thought I was just a weak bitch...but my teacher adjusted the tension rod and it's been so light ever since that I haven't cramped up yet.

David Deatherage

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    @David Deatherage like everyone else said it's a comfort based decision so whatever works works. Using the 3rd simply opens up the 4th to add shit in as you go. But as far as cramping goes, make sure you're stretching, have proper hand/wrist position, and the tension on your guitar is balanced. I had the same issue and thought I was just a weak bitch...but my teacher adjusted the tension rod and it's been so light ever since that I haven't cramped up yet.
    I'll give that a try it might be positioning. Thanks!

Kai C

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Nov 11, 2019
    Naha Okinawa
    I'll give that a try it might be positioning. Thanks!

Yeah man, let me know how it goes. I can't preach those things I said enough because I have multiple injuries to various joints. Starting to practice and play longer hurt like hell and I was scared I might not be able to do this. Then it all got fixed with just a few things.

David Deatherage

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Yeah man, let me know how it goes. I can't preach those things I said enough because I have multiple injuries to various joints. Starting to practice and play longer hurt like hell and I was scared I might not be able to do this. Then it all got fixed with just a few things.
    Yup like u said I tried different holding positions and actually found one that it’s no problem to do this. So great idea brother and should’ve known better!!

• Love
    Reactions: Kai C

Conor Mason

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Hermitage, Pennsylvania- USA
    I started out learning power chords using my index and ring finger. After watching Hetfield play, I really got into using my pinky instead and use my ring finger when using an octave powerchord. Basically, what I mean is, hitting the root and 5th with your 1st and 3rd, then the octave of the root with your pinky underneath your 3rd to fill out the sound in the chord. I really recommend using all of your fingers and gradually stretching out your reach. That will come with time, but any exercises you see that work that helps. Cheers folks

Reactions: GianZ73

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I seem to hit, a lot, the 6th string while doing the D powerchord and have to really focus and look at my strumming hand while strumming to avoid hitting and playing it.
    Should that string be muted with the 2nd finger/thumb or is it just practice?

When using 5th string power chords like the D, your best practice is to get used to placing the index finger so that it barely touches, but DOES NOT PRESS down on, that 6th string. That will effectively mute it when you strike it.

The unsung hero of rock rhythm playing of any kind is getting yourself to a place where you subconsciously mute everything you don't want to ring out. It's best achieved by learning assorted ways to mute various strings with either or both hands and just making it a part of everything you do.

hypertensao

Garage band Groupie
    Jul 11, 2020
    Portugak
    When using 5th string power chords like the D, your best practice is to get used to placing the index finger so that it barely touches, but DOES NOT PRESS down on, that 6th string. That will effectively mute it when you strike it.

The unsung hero of rock rhythm playing of any kind is getting yourself to a place where you subconsciously mute everything you don't want to ring out. It's best achieved by learning assorted ways to mute various strings with either or both hands and just making it a part of everything you do.

Thanks Ed! I tried to copy Haner Sr. but it seemed to me that he was not muting it with the second finger, but I will definitely try that.
    The more i play, the more I understand that for loud rock and roll/metal you need to mute a lot :)

Reactions: Ed Seith

chris_is_cool

Hot Topic Tourer
    Apr 18, 2020
    Cologne, Germany
    Using the 2nd finger to mute the 6th string is also a common technique, it's what my teacher taught me. For me it took a couple of weeks to really get used to it, but now it's second nature and I don't need to think about it anymore. But you can also try to mute with the index finger, as long as you are muting cleanly and are able to switch chords quickly, it's a matter of personal taste.