• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Introduction to Power Chords and Palm Muting – Lesson 18

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    Am I on the right track? It's awfully frustrating.

Definitely on the right track! One thing I'd work out is how hard you're squeezing the pick when you do this technique. You want both notes in the Power chord to happen at the same time, so it sounds like one seamless hit. Easing up your grip on the pick and letting your wrist/pick do the work for you will help with this. You'll know if your gripping the pick too hard if it crunches slightly into the individual strings one after the other and gives a slightly 'plinky sound' - or if you're feeling like there's a bit of resistance from the strings when you do your downstrokes -if that makes any sense :geek:

Was near the Guitar so here's a demo of what I'm talking about:

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Iris

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Oct 14, 2020
    Everett, Washington
    Definitely on the right track! One thing I'd work out is how hard you're squeezing the pick when you do this technique. You want both notes in the Power chord to happen at the same time, so it sounds like one seamless hit. Easing up your grip on the pick and letting your wrist/pick do the work for you will help with this. You'll know if your gripping the pick too hard if it crunches slightly into the individual strings one after the other and gives a slightly 'plinky sound' - or if you're feeling like there's a bit of resistance from the strings when you do your downstrokes -if that makes any sense :geek:

Was near the Guitar so here's a demo of what I'm talking about:

Hope this helps!
    That helps alot. Thank you!