• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Introduction To Simple Chords – Em & G – Lesson 12

Mathmilam

Garage band Groupie
Feb 12, 2020
When learning to Fret the notes of chords I would often take my picking hand out of the equation and just focus on manipulating my fretting hands fingers into the proper positions. Once i had that down I would focus on synchronizing both hands.

• Wow
Reactions: ellena7x
Synner Endless Summer Collection

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Just to make sense in my head. What is the difference between a minor chord and a major chord?
    Well, if we go purely on theory, its often about the placement of the third. So, for exemple a chord is made from a root, its third and its fifth. If we take this exemple, what will determine if its Major or minor is the placement of the third.

So if its Major, its gonna be the root, Major third and fifth. If its minor, its gonna be the root, minor third and fifth. The minor third is one half step (so one fret lower) than the third. here is an exemple

This is an E Major:

-0-
    -0-
    -1-
    -2-
    -2-
    -0-

This is an E minor:

-0-
    -0-
    -0-
    -2-
    -2-
    -0-

just notice that its the difference in one single note between those two. And the only note that changed is the third of the D major scale which is a G# in major and a G in minor!

In a purely sonically perspective, its true, the major chords sound happier while the minors one sound sadder! I hope it helps, dont hesitate to ask if my explanation wasnt clear

Last edited:

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Hey Hi, I am a very beginner guitarist and I want to know what is the guitar string preferred by synyster gate.
    Maybe it is a common question but is there anyone here knowing the answer?
    I am also new to this great community.
    Light top Heavy bottom Ernie Ball strings, .10 - .52, something like that.
    I saw it here on the site somewhere but maybe it's different

Riff36

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Jan 2, 2022
    🇸🇬 Singapore 🇸🇬
    Light top Heavy bottom Ernie Ball strings, .10 - .52, something like that.
    I saw it here on the site somewhere but maybe it's different
    Usually when u playing in drop tuning… ur need heavy gauge either .10 to 52 or .11 to .54 or mix string where heavy gauge goes to .54 and high gauge to .10 reason being when u drop tune or open tune u need that heavy Chuck warmer tone kinda Clarity and not forgetting if ur on Standard tuning and u drop to Drop C.. make sure ur intonation need to be readjust reason being due to the bow or corvex of the truss rod. ☺️ As of Me Syn Gate string not pretty sure. If sweaty palm he might used Slinky Ernie ball thou. But whatever it is. The best way for a guitarist is to try a few brands of string and u will definitely know what is to ur liking and comfortability. 😅🙏🏼🤘✊

Riff36

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Jan 2, 2022
    🇸🇬 Singapore 🇸🇬
    Well, if we go purely on theory, its often about the placement of the third. So, for exemple a chord is made from a root, its third and its fifth. If we take this exemple, what will determine if its Major or minor is the placement of the third.

So if its Major, its gonna be the root, Major third and fifth. If its minor, its gonna be the root, minor third and fifth. The minor third is one half step (so one fret lower) than the third. here is an exemple

This is an E Major:

-0-
    -0-
    -1-
    -2-
    -2-
    -0-

This is an E minor:

-0-
    -0-
    -0-
    -2-
    -2-
    -0-

just notice that its the difference in one single note between those two. And the only note that changed is the third of the D major scale which is a G# in major and a G in minor!

In a purely sonically perspective, its true, the major chords sound happier while the minors one sound sadder! I hope it helps, dont hesitate to ask if my explanation wasnt clear

Minor 3rd are the definition that makes either the sound Happy or Sad/Mellow. Or Other way making the Chords either Major or minor just by flatting the 3rd

Example i’m using is in the key of C. Reason i’m using C as a reference point is because there’s no # or flat. Easier to explained.

KEY IN C -

C D E F G A B C (Notes)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8(Degree)

W W h W W W h (Interval)

Formula in the Key of C

C Maj : 1 3 5 = C E G (Happy Sound)

C minor : 1 b3 5 = C Eb G (Sad or Mellow Sound)

In any keys ur in… the 3rd define major or minor.

How you go deeper by counting is by using intervals in another terms by simply refers to the distance between two notes.

Degree of Scale is in C Maj:

(Degree) (Name of Interval)
    C - C = Unison
    C - D = Maj2
    C - E = Maj3rd
    C - F = Perfect 4th
    C - G = Perfect 5th
    C - A = minor6th
    C - B = Maj7th
    C - C = Perfect Octave.

*This is just Theory but when we understand this we can really understand almost all 12 keys easily as well buddy.

With regards on how many sharps or flat every key will hv. Lesson Circle of Fifth Papa Gate will elaborate, explained more and in depth without doubt. Keep Rocking buddy! 😊🤘✊

Peace Out - Riff36 (Silly Rabbit)
    🐰🐇🐇🐇🐰

Last edited:
    Reactions: William B.

drew.card

Free Bird Player
  • Apr 18, 2023
    Learned a few chords from other feed/sources - G maj is ... well - feels evil.

Searching around JustinJ offers as an alternative:

Code:
    e -3 (4)- [G]
    B -0-     [B]
    G -0-     [G]
    D -0-     [D]
    A -X (2)- [X]
    E -3 (2)- [G]
    (string-fret (finger)-[result/note])

That is 2nd finger on 3rd fret of low E, muting A, and pinkey on high e.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
    Reactions: William B.

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    @drew.card I think it's good, thre's another B note on the open B string. The muted A would be a B, I'm not for sure but G, B D are the main notes for G major, 3 notes make a triad chord. If you find and combine those notes you can make different G major chord shapes over the neck.
    Instead or including both B's, that chord voicing has the upper/higher string B, sutble less bass voicing

If i made a mistake , someone who knows for sure please correct me
    G chord i also like

Last edited: