• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Introduction To Strumming & The Tik Tok Pattern – Lesson 11

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    I’m a noob so I would take my advice with a grain of salt lol. But when I’m playing like individual notes on my electric I find I do better with the Jazz 3 pick, when I’m strumming chords on my acoustic I prefer the 1.14mm Dunlop picks (purple) but I find I have less pick noise with the .73mm Dunlop picks (yellow) so I flip flop between those two for heavy strumming songs.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Conor Mason

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Hermitage, Pennsylvania- USA
    great stuff. I listened to a lot of classic rock, progressive and classic rock with acoustic guitars featured to absorb strumming. Nancy Wilson from Heart is a killer player with really cool strumming parts. Pick size can make a huge difference. I tend to split the difference between a Jazz III and a Tortex 1.0mm depending on what tone I need. A thinner pick will give you a much more satisfying strum when that is what the part calls for, a thicker one for more rock, solong, metal applications, etc. Kirk Hammett has played with the Tortex Green picks which is a .73mm. I use them too. I found using different picks helped me develop my technique and touch on the strings better. I learned how to accent better versus just pounding on my guitar. That, in turn, helped me be a better player overall. I still tend to wrangle the neck a lot! HAHA! Great lesson

drew.card

Free Bird Player
  • Apr 18, 2023
    Thoughts. This took another turn - hard to follow for me, at least for a different reason than the previous. Mainly just too fast in delivery for me.

Had some success after finally writing down (quarters) down, down, (eighths) down-up, down-up, etc.

Would not have minded some talk of BPM, a metronome, etc. as well. Or perhaps more on basic music notes, whole, half, and all that. I'm getting it, parts seem to be missing.

Reactions: Rad Synner