• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Introduction to the Diminished Scale – Lesson 72

SynGates.com

One Stringer
Staff member
Sep 11, 2019
In this lesson we give you an overview of the diminished scale and its applications.

The diminished scale plays over diminished chords as well as V chords.

The backing track is ii-V-i in C minor. (Dm7b5 – G7b9* – Cm)

*Note – To find the diminished scale that plays over the V chord – start on the note that is 1/2 step up.

In this case – an Ab diminished scale would be played over the G7b9.

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
Rockstar Student
Nov 11, 2019
Spain
I was here like a year ago......wrote stuff down, learned some stuff...But now I am determined to integrate this into my playing!

Also....the half-Whole scale, and by that the Whole-Half scale, has 9 Notes in it?! Holy Crap! Bringing me out of my Diatonic and pentatonic rut!

Can the Diminished scale be played over other chords that are not minor7(b9) or diminished chords too?

Last edited:

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I was here like a year ago......wrote stuff down, learned some stuff...But now I am determined to integrate this into my playing!

Also....the half-Whole scale, and by that the Whole-Half scale, has 9 Notes in it?! Holy Crap! Bringing me out of my Diatonic and pentatonic rut!

Can the Diminished scale be played over other chords that are not minor7(b9) or diminished chords too?
Yes, it works wonders over dominant chords. Basically if you take a dominant seventh for example, the major third, fifth and minor seventh is a diminished triad add in the b2 and you have a full diminished arpeggio and it sounds awesome. Since the diminished scale is effectively the notes in diminished arpeggio with the notes a semitone below added to it you can use the diminished scale half a note up over the dominant chord. So for example F diminished over E7(or E dominant diminished over E7)

Since the 7 and m6 chords are substitutions you can also use them over m6 chords. For example if you take Am6 there's a D9 in there so anything that works over the D9 will likely also work over the Am6. Since you can use the D# diminished scale over D9 which has the same notes as A diminished you can use A diminished over the Am6. Just remember to always use your ears because shit can get weird the deeper it goes

• Wow
Reactions: Christian Schulze

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
Rockstar Student
Nov 11, 2019
Spain
Yes, it works wonders over dominant chords. Basically if you take a dominant seventh for example, the major third, fifth and minor seventh is a diminished triad add in the b2 and you have a full diminished arpeggio and it sounds awesome. Since the diminished scale is effectively the notes in diminished arpeggio with the notes a semitone below added to it you can use the diminished scale half a note up over the dominant chord. So for example F diminished over E7(or E dominant diminished over E7)

Since the 7 and m6 chords are substitutions you can also use them over m6 chords. For example if you take Am6 there's a D9 in there so anything that works over the D9 will likely also work over the Am6. Since you can use the D# diminished scale over D9 which has the same notes as A diminished you can use A diminished over the Am6. Just remember to always use your ears because shit can get weird the deeper it goes
My man Ids coming to the rescue!! Thank you brother!

Reactions: idssdi

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
Rockstar Student
Nov 11, 2019
Spain

This is very helpful. In theory then. Over a 12 bar blues that uses dominant7th chords...one can have a field day with the diminished scale.

Awesome!

Reactions: idssdi
Synner Endless Summer Collection

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
This is very helpful. In theory then. Over a 12 bar blues that uses dominant7th chords...one can have a field day with the diminished scale.

Awesome!
Yes exactly! I shamelessly use diminished arpeggios in a blues too 😅

It may bring it more into jazz blues territory but it sounds awesome so who cares 🤣

• Love
Reactions: Christian Schulze