• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Is burning out beneficial at times

Dan Shipway

Slim Shady
  • Nov 11, 2019
    After working 11 hrs on Auslander ,pushing myself day and night to write material and doing a performance today I feel completely burnt out and the desire to play guitar has gone, I thought this was a bad thing but I have another view on it and hear me out. I play for upwards of 3 hrs a day 7 days a week and I constantly go for perfection, I don’t know when to say stop and thats the same with everything I do. I almost enjoy the calm, I love playing guitar and it doesn’t compare to anything else but being burnt out has almost cleansed my head in a sense and allowed me the time to relax and not have to think about the monstrous project. What are your thoughts?

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    It’s okay to have days when “I don’t wanna fuckin practice,” but you should try to force yourself to at least pick it up for ten minutes, whether it’s noodling in front of the TV, playing along to a couple of songs you love, or whatever.
    And then sometimes, when you’re REALLY burnt out, set it all aside for a few days (but not more, if you can help it). Sometimes those few days off can help relieve any frustrations you’re having with learning something new.

Firsty Lasty

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    I’m pretty sure everyone takes breaks unless there’s something forcing them to “sink or swim”. Imo what is important is living in such a way that you can stay passionate about something each day, even as your interests change over time. Right now I’ve taken several days away from practicing guitar, only spending a little bit of time screwing around. That’s ok because it’s not my job. What matters is that I’ve been working on other things instead of sitting around being bored.
    Mentally burning out imo starts from too many consecutive days of psychological pressure, the treatment for which is to relax by taking breaks and doing relaxing things. To help avoid this problem a lot of successful people completely cut people out of their lives who have negative or abusive personalities.

Dan Shipway

Slim Shady
  • Nov 11, 2019
    To be honest the burnout is because of the pressure of recording, I spent around 8-9 hours recording 5 takes of Auslander and triple tracking them, after that, even though I have to redo it, I was completely dead and had no motivation to play, granted it’s coming back but I just wondered if it was harmful to progress as I feel like it will be a common occurrence through the project.