• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Is rock and metal guitar a men’s world?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Sobota

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
Dubrovnik, Croatia
A lot of interesting thoughts spoken here. One thing I can say as a grown up woman and a psychologist is that music preferences have nothing to do with testosterone.
My point wasn't that testosterone plays a role in your music taste. My point was that metal reeks of testosterone, so it will naturally be more appealing to men on the surface level. Maybe I wasn't clear when I said that.

For example, watch this video. As a psychologist, how many women you think would be appealed to this sound and visual presentation compared to men?

And you can cite extreme sports like UFC in the same category as this. I don't understand what's the fuss about something being inherently more appealing to men or women. That's just the way things are, it's called biology. Yes, people are different, obviously. But still, it's okay for something to be more appealing to one gender than the other.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Lindsey

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
My point wasn't that testosterone plays a role in your music taste. My point was that metal reeks of testosterone, so it will naturally be more appealing to men on the surface level. Maybe I wasn't clear when I said that.

For example, watch this video. As a psychologist, how many women you think would be appealed to this sound and visual presentation compared to men?

And you can cite extreme sports like UFC in the same category as this. I don't understand what's the fuss about something being inherently more appealing to men or women. That's just the way things are, it's called bilogy. Yes, people are different, obviously. But still, it's okay for something to be more appealing to one gender than the other.

She literally explained it has to do with emotions not with biology. If music makes you feel good you listen to it, that's it. Nothing to do with biology or gender or anything of the sorts. There are like a billion examples of where this counts. Women are starting to play football even though it's considered a 'man' sport.

The whole idea of this appeals to women and that appeals to men simply isn't true.

If you watch hardcore, techno, house shows which can also be pretty damn heavy. There are plenty of women making that kind of music and visiting those concerts. So the whole idea that heavy music appeals more to men really isn't true. It entirely depends on the person and their taste, not gender. I have a lot of guy friends irl and there are only two that are actually into metal. All the others are not and that's because it's all about taste and what you're exposed to, not gender.

Daniel Sobota

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
Dubrovnik, Croatia
She literally explained it has to do with emotions not with biology. If music makes you feel good you listen to it, that's it. Nothing to do with biology or gender or anything of the sorts. There are like a billion examples of where this counts. Women are starting to play football even though it's considered a 'man' sport.

The whole idea of this appeals to women and that appeals to men simply isn't true.

If you watch hardcore, techno, house shows which can also be pretty damn heavy. There are plenty of women making that kind of music and visiting those concerts. So the whole idea that heavy music appeals more to men really isn't true. It entirely depends on the person and their taste, not gender. I have a lot of guy friends irl and there are only two that are actually into metal. All the others are not and that's because it's all about taste and what you're exposed to, not gender.
Of course it's about taste... But what I said to her:

"My point was that metal reeks of testosterone, so it will naturally be more appealing to men on the surface level. Maybe I wasn't clear when I said that."

On the outside, metal looks aggressive, macho and all of that. Whether you'll become a fan of it or not depends on the taste, but it will get men's attention faster than women's because of those outside factors that I cited. And I think the number of men vs women in metal kinda proves my point, lol.

Mariler

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Nov 11, 2019
Zaragoza, Spain

And you can cite extreme sports like UFC in the same category as this. I don't understand what's the fuss about something being inherently more appealing to men or women. That's just the way things are, it's called biology. Yes, people are different, obviously. But still, it's okay for something to be more appealing to one gender than the other.

Oh, this wasn’t supposed to be a direct response to your post. Otherwise I would have tagged you
But this applies equally to your idea. It’s modern neuroscience and it’s scientifically proven

Daniel Sobota

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Oh, this wasn’t supposed to be a direct response to your post. Otherwise I would have tagged you
But this applies equally to your idea. It’s modern neuroscience and it’s scientifically proven
Please re-read what my point is, haha. I'm not talking about taste itself. I'm talking about some other things that affect what we're drawn to, even in music.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Mariler

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Nov 11, 2019
Zaragoza, Spain
Please re-read what my point is, haha. I'm not talking about taste itself. I'm talking about some other things that affect what we're drawn to, even in music.
You can go back to the beginning and you will notice that this thread wasn’t intended to discuss this and I understand it might be annoying to some people to keep talking about it here.
But since it’s an interesting topic and you want to dig deeper, it would be an awesome idea to open a separate thread

Last edited:
Reactions: Lindsey
Status
Not open for further replies.