• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Is rock and metal guitar a men’s world?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooper Brady

Free Bird Player
  • Nov 2, 2020
    Augusta, Georgia
    And as someone who's been a gamer and a nerd for longer than most of you have been alive, it's disappointing to no end how elitist and toxic nerd and gaming culture have become. It's everything we promised we would NEVER EVER BE, and it saddens me.

Thankfully, my daughter is a metalhead and a gamer and has no fucks to give what anyone thinks of that either way.
    IDK man, my sister likes his looks... for some reason...

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Then we drove past a billboard for a local radio station with a picture of Ed Sheeran on it. We both saw it at the same time and stopped talking. She slowly turned to look at me... "Ahem.. You were saying?"
    Hey, I get compared to Ed sheeran a bunch in the past. You calling me ugly now? 🤣🤣

Cooper Brady

Free Bird Player
  • Nov 2, 2020
    Augusta, Georgia
    I am sorry if you took my post as an accusation of anything, but I think it is an interesting thing to think about how we might associate a certain tonal quality (like that of Pantera) with testosterone/masculinity.

As for the gatekeeping in the gaming world, pokimane and alinity's actions/business decisions/whatever you want to call it, should only reflect on them. The fact is that women are constantly having to present themselves as 'real' and deserving of a place in all sorts of communities. I've gotten all sorts of shit spewed at me online, just because I 'revealed' myself as being a woman. The default assumption (especially online) is just that you are only there because you want attention.
    I can see we'll probably never be able to see eye to eye on this, but I'm glad we can have a civil conversation and that I can still call you a friend. Keep rocking.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Hey, I get compared to Ed sheeran a bunch in the past. You calling me ugly now? 🤣🤣
    Let's put it this way. We all know someone who says they look like this or that fabulously beautiful person, and you can kinda see the resemblance, but in your friend - the pieces just don't add up in the same way and the friend is kind of a train wreck.

You and the good Mr. Sheeran live in oppositeland there. He's the trainwreck who looks a little like you.

Kat the metalhead

Music Theory Bragger
  • Jan 20, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    I have noticed that all the guitarists I look up to are all males and I can’t really even think of any female guitarists I like. I’m a huge fan of death metal and just really heavy in your face stuff and I haven’t found a single female guitarist who does that style. I’m a huge fan of children of bodom and thats the type of stuff I wanna play but yet again I haven’t seen any girls play that.

the main reason for that is because most woman aren’t into metal they are mainly into pop or what’s on the radio because it’s what they know and it’s shoved in their faces. I was raised listening to led zeppelin, ozzy and Queen and as I got older I discovered more metal on my own.

another big factor is looks sadly. You could be an amazing guitarist but if your not hot or the stereotypical pretty girl your going no where! Like their are some female guitarist who aren’t the greatest but made it cuz their sexy. I’m not gonna name people cuz I don’t wanna start shit haha

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Muz Malek

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Singapore
    www.instagram.com
    I have noticed that all the guitarists I look up to are all males and I can’t really even think of any female guitarists I like. I’m a huge fan of death metal and just really heavy in your face stuff and I haven’t found a single female guitarist who does that style. I’m a huge fan of children of bodom and thats the type of stuff I wanna play but yet again I haven’t seen any girls play that.

the main reason for that is because most woman aren’t into metal they are mainly into pop or what’s on the radio because it’s what they know and it’s shoved in their faces. I was raised listening to led zeppelin, ozzy and Queen and as I got older I discovered more metal on my own.

another big factor is looks sadly. You could be an amazing guitarist but if your not hot or the stereotypical pretty girl your going no where! Like their are some female guitarist who aren’t the greatest but made it cuz their sexy. I’m not gonna name people cuz I don’t wanna start shit haha
    There's Orianthi & Nikki Stringfield!

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina

A point you made about growing up listening to certain artists speaks volumes. If you’re not exposed to certain types of music at a younger age it’s unlikely you’ll care for it later on. I’m much the same, my mom solely listened to rock music so it was mostly all I knew as a child. Many of my beloved bands/artists and genres of music are those of which I was exposed to very early on in life.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com

There was a girl on IG last year that would be right up your alley. I can't remember her name, and I haven't seen a post from her in a long time, but she played a lot of TDM type stuff, REALLY technical and tasty, and attractive but not Barbie AT ALL. She was awesome. I'll have to see if I can remember more about her and find her for you.

Daniel Sobota

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Dubrovnik, Croatia
    I dont think metal is masculine. I'm 5'6 and scrawny as shit. I just agree with Daniel that it makes more sense that biologically men have more testosterone, so a more intense genre would be more appealing to that demographic. BY NO MEANS AM I SAYING WOMEN CAN'T ENJOY IT. I'm just saying it makes more sense it would appeal to men. As for community acceptance, I feel like the gaming world is more gatekept to girls because of people like Pokimaine and Alinity. However, I have a really good friend who's a girl, we play Call of Duty together a lot. My sister and I play mortal kombat together a lot. I've never personally seen anyone get gatekept from metal for anything other than a disagreement in musical taste.
    Yeah, this is pretty much what I think too. I didn't want it to come off as "women can't enjoy metal", not in the slightest. The reason why I got into metal is because of my older sister who played it all the time when I was little, haha!

It's just that there is a clear component to this music that makes men more drawn to it than women. Metal is like extreme sports of music. But for every Mike Tyson you have Ronda Rousey, so there's that.

Daniel Sobota

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Dubrovnik, Croatia

Honestly, we can make a whole anthropological research about this, and I think it should be done because it's interesting.

One thing I noticed in my community (people of my age and my city) is that men are either going to listen to whatever they want and find enjoyable, or they're just going to listen to whatever GIRLS find enjoyable and go to the same clubs and parties (pre corona obviously, lol) as girls do, for obvious reasons. But girls listen to whatever is popular and is being served to them, for the most part.

I guarantee you, if there was a metal band that resonated with girls so much, and was a worldwide phenomenon, there would be a lot of men who are listening to them just because they can about it with girls. So the way to get metal bigger is by making it strike a chord with more girls, which is an oxymoron, because we've all pretty much agreed metal is a testostorone-influenced genre.

Reactions: Cooper Brady

Adin Shepherd

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Melbourne, Australia
    Great discussion point!

The metal guitar scene certainly appears to be male dominated, but not exclusive, and I hope we see more female musicians break through in the future.

Growing up as a young metal head I was floored when I found out Jo Bench (bassist of Bolt Thrower) was female, it was something you just didn't see in metal, particularly in the more extreme end of bands. Sadly this hasn't really changed over time, the only exception that comes to mind is the all female band Kittie.

I have no doubt there are a bunch of great female guitarists playing in metal bands in clubs and bars all over, and hopefully we see more break into the mainstream in the future.

If the volume of female students we have here is an indicator, I have no doubt it is something we will see more of.

I’m a huge fan of death metal and just really heavy in your face stuff and I haven’t found a single female guitarist who does that style. I’m a huge fan of children of bodom and thats the type of stuff I wanna play but yet again I haven’t seen any girls play that.

Check out https://youtube.com/c/ElenaVerrier plays in the Death Metal band Evulsion and https://youtube.com/c/JJsOneGirlBand guitarist in the band Oversense.

carlosmqr

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 17, 2019
    Portugal/Manchester UK
    www.instagram.com
    Theres a lot of good points in the previous posts, I see a lot of women in the rock/metal scene to be honest, mainly as fans, why that does not translate to playing an instrument I dont know... But theyre there. And as someone said in rock and metal theres quite a few successful singers, Amy Lee, Lzzy Hale (plays guitar too), Sharon den Adel, Tarja, Cristina Scabbia, Hailey Williams etc etc
    Alicia Vigil plays bass with Dragon Force and singer and bassist of Vigil of War too.

Maybe theres a lot more boys playing guitar as kids too, and that translates in more chances of being in a successful band in the future maybe. :unsure:

But its nice to see that Nita Strauss have a signature model, Jen Majura is endorsed by Ibanez too, Nikki Stringfield have her own signature model with Schecter and Im sure theres a few more female guitarists in the same path.

About the looks I think it works both ways, I see my wifes eyes when she see's a picture of Syn or Spencer Charnas (Ice Nine Kills) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Firsty Lasty

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    One of the wisest things I ever heard in my life is this gem from Howard Bloom - "if you want to know why, ask how."

Nobody has it easy in the music business. Why do people succeed in metal? Ask how. How people succeed in the metal business is by investing the time and taking the risks necessary.

Do women invest the time and take the risks in the way that men do?
    Do women produce equal results for the time invested and risks taken?

The answer to the first is generally no, for many reasons.
    It's hard to discuss the second question without risking offending people so I'll be blunt. A lot of things in life are easier if you're a young man in good health, preferably tall. It's not just about playing guitar, even surviving life on the road is notoriously hard. A lot of metal bands only made it because they toured and played live more than was healthy.

Men and women are different, they develop differently, they're treated differently, and they don't have the same mindset at the same age. A young man and a young woman aren't the same thing with different dangly bits.

Mariler

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    Zaragoza, Spain
    A lot of interesting thoughts spoken here. One thing I can say as a grown up woman and a psychologist is that music preferences have nothing to do with testosterone. Did you know that metal and rock are proven to be effective to calm the excess of activity down in children with ADHD.
    Music preference is actually related with sensory processing and emotion, and the way your brain registers and processes the vibration that your ears and your entire body is receiving and transforms them into deep emotions. The way we experience of music is totally individual and subjective. Where you feel rage, I can experiment a deep sense of happiness. But music is a social vicarious experience too, and that's when you and everyone around you in a concert feel that same strong energy of metal. But the audience in the opera experiment the same, believe it or not, even though you don't see people headbanging and a masculine majority there.

Another thing I can say is that music taste evolves over time. The older I get, the more into death metal I am, but I also like punk rock, hard rock, even some pop rock. And now we are lucky to have the music platforms that give us access easily to every kind of music.

About the looks, I think that someone who is hot obviously have more chances to catch people's attention, but it takes something else to be up on stage, some presence, some attitude to defend what you are playing there, and more important, some skills. Not everyone can do that even being the hottest person in the world. You need something else to be up there like saying "hey, I'm in the room and now you listen to me!!".
    I remember my brother listening to Lita Ford and me asking "do you like her music?" and he answered "she's hot!". But for some reason he kept listening, what I mean is that if he didn't like her music it would have been enough for him to see her pictures, but she had something else too.

Maybe there's fewer female guitarists succeeding because of cultural stereotypes and prejudices and bullshit that women have been traditionally getting. That bullshit transforms easily into obstacles and fewer chances. I mean, when I was a kid 3 decades ago and people saw my looks and heard I liked metal, they looked at me weird because it didn't seem appropriate for a girl. Joan Jett was dismissed by a music teacher because she wanted to play rock guitar and he considered that women don't do that.
    I used to hang out with some friends who played in a band. Sometimes they would have me and my other girl friends come and see them practice. I always showed my interest in guitars but none of them would teach me how to play a chord. They never were assholes to me, they kind of liked my interest, but just wanted some chicks around them, not girls playing guitars. If I had been a boy they would have probably told me to buy a guitar come over and play with them. Chances. I started learning when I was 44. If I had been a boy I would probably be playing since I was 16 or 18.

Luckily the metal scene is changing, you go to a festival and see more and more girls in the audience and more women musicians on stage. When I was 14 and I went to see my first rock concert, I was a minority there. So I keep my hopes up that in the future we will see more ladies rocking their guitars.

Mariler

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    Zaragoza, Spain
    One of the wisest things I ever heard in my life is this gem from Howard Bloom - "if you want to know why, ask how."

Nobody has it easy in the music business. Why do people succeed in metal? Ask how. How people succeed in the metal business is by investing the time and taking the risks necessary.

Do women invest the time and take the risks in the way that men do?
    Do women produce equal results for the time invested and risks taken?

The answer to the first is generally no, for many reasons.
    It's hard to discuss the second question without risking offending people so I'll be blunt. A lot of things in life are easier if you're a young man in good health, preferably tall. It's not just about playing guitar, even surviving life on the road is notoriously hard. A lot of metal bands only made it because they toured and played live more than was healthy.

Men and women are different, they develop differently, they're treated differently, and they don't have the same mindset at the same age. A young man and a young woman aren't the same thing with different dangly bits.
    Luckily the world is changing. Hallelujah!!! What you describe is what happened back in the 80s. Young women this century do definitely have a different mindset. Now most of them aren't programmed to become mothers and leave their careers on behalf of their families or stuff like that. Also I guess that young men are changing too and don't think anymore that women HAVE TO.

Status
    Not open for further replies.