• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Guitar Is there any Schecter Synyster Special with Sustainiac?

Javier Wienarjati

Campfire Attention Holder
Dec 7, 2021
Indonesia
www.instagram.com
Hello Synners,
My name is Elieve. I'm Javi's mom. I'm borrowing my son, Javi's account here.
First of all, I want to thank you all Synners here who has help my son to be who he is now. You guys are all the best. Thank you so much for all of your kindness.

The second is, I would like to ask my question above, because I haven't found the answers on google. Well, we found an adv on IG for a secondhand black Schecter Synyster Special, that said made in south korea. It's a rare item here, that's why next monday we're planning to check it out on the shop. My Husband and I went on google to learn more about this guitar. I also watched Ed's vid about how to taking care of FR, because we haven't got any FR guitar before. But there's something that bothers my mind. The guitar has a sustainiac on the neck. I googled and all were said Syn Special has SD invader but no sustainiac. I still haven't found any clue of it. That's why I decided to ask this here by myself, because some info will be missed if it was told by an 8yo kid. 😅

Below were some the pics that were given by the shop. Do you think it's legit?I'm sorry, no headstock photo yet. But it was said just like Syn Special description. I will check it out next monday.

Thank you so much for your help. 😄

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-01-13-13-34-07-934_com.instagram.android.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-01-13-13-34-07-934_com.instagram.android.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 134
  • Screenshot_2023-01-13-13-34-20-443_com.instagram.android.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-01-13-13-34-20-443_com.instagram.android.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 130
Solution
Well noted @Apocalyptic Katana 📝, thank you so much.
The adv is in here Last friday I messg the seller for detail pics, but they told me the pic that available is only on the adv. I also ask if it was sustainiac in the neck, as I googled no sustainiac on Schecter Synyster Special, and they said yes and they said it works fine. Thats why I'm curious, then I ask for help here.

IMG_E1401.JPG

Thanks for the link!

the silver paint is literally coming off and that part is supposed to be a magnet :ROFLMAO:

these are the real ones

drivers.jpg

FWIW there's a lot of fake synyster custom's, just do a quick youtube search and filter through recent videos and there's a good few of them, even a brand copying the...

Apocalyptic Katana

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
www.instagram.com
I don't know of any sustaniac with that has those circular indents on it below the two gray pattern (even the gray pattern's dimensions does not look like sustaniac"s model)

schecter's sustaniac installed guitar's would have those switches placed more ergonomically ( switches close to each other and lower down the body)

IMO those are probably some "copy" of the sustaniac model and installed after the model was out the factory...

It might sound the same as the sustaniac who knows but personally I wouldn't get that guitar as far as I can tell from the picture ( picture quality ain't great either) as the guitar's build quality doesn't seem to be schecter's standard of quality

OR it could be some weird pre production prototype that they just sold off to the public as I've seen them for other schecter guitar models.

Higher quality, zoomed in pictures would be nice

TL DR IMO There are some red flags so I wouldn't get it

• Love
Reactions: Javier Wienarjati
Upvote 0

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    I think it actually might be an actual Synyster special that was modded with a sustainiac which means that it’s legit and it was modified. If it’s a good deal, I would consider it.

the two switches aren’t where they would be if it was a normal setup. It’s not really practical but that doesn’t mean that it’s not functional.

it could also be a real sustainiac too. They can be bought separately

Upvote 0

Javier Wienarjati

Dec 7, 2021
    Indonesia
    www.instagram.com
    Thank you @Apocalyptic Katana and @Radu-Cristian Perde for the reviews. These are precious infos for me before we go to check it on the shop. Before Javi gets too excited trying that guitar next monday😂, I already have some basic knowledge to consider from you guys.

I'll give you updates and maybe some pics next monday. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Apocalyptic Katana

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    www.instagram.com
    I highly doubt those are official sustainiacs

1 the large silver magnet size
    2 no logo as they always have them for bridge size
    3 those weird circle indents on the pickup plastic (on a real sustainiac only top close to the neck has pickup parts in it and the bottom part of the humbucker is hollow)

if there is magnet beneath the circle indents then it’ll definitely mess with the sustainiac function…. If there is any, due to magnetic interferance

I will personally contact official sustainiac support about this (ill send then these pictures) as I’m curious if it’s legit or not

support email [email protected]
    Web: https://www.sustainiac.com/

You said it’s from an instagram adv can you please share the link?

• Love
    Upvote 0

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal

3 those weird circle indents on the pickup plastic (on a real sustainiac only top close to the neck has pickup parts in it and the bottom part of the humbucker is hollow)

if there is magnet beneath the circle indents then it’ll definitely mess with the sustainiac function…. If there is any, due to magnetic interferance

I will personally contact official sustainiac support about this (ill send then these pictures) as I’m curious if it’s legit or not

Just looked closer, yeah you’re right.

Upvote 0

Javier Wienarjati

Dec 7, 2021
    Indonesia
    www.instagram.com

The adv is in here Last friday I messg the seller for detail pics, but they told me the pic that available is only on the adv. I also ask if it was sustainiac in the neck, as I googled no sustainiac on Schecter Synyster Special, and they said yes and they said it works fine. Thats why I'm curious, then I ask for help here.

Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Apocalyptic Katana

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    www.instagram.com

IMG_E1401.JPG

Thanks for the link!

the silver paint is literally coming off and that part is supposed to be a magnet :ROFLMAO:

these are the real ones

drivers.jpg

FWIW there's a lot of fake synyster custom's, just do a quick youtube search and filter through recent videos and there's a good few of them, even a brand copying the sustainiac from - https://www.youtube.com/@veyzsustainerpickup1804 - they even have fake syn custom's

Maybe the mod's can send these to Syn then to schecter to correct this problem @Ed Seith , @Radu-Cristian Perde

I'm pretty sure they aren't allowed to sell those as the sustainiac design is patented and copying the syn custom design is also trouble from schecter

Be careful shopping!

Solution

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    View attachment 3280

Thanks for the link!

these are the real ones

View attachment 3281

FWIW there's a lot of fake synyster custom's, just do a quick youtube search and filter through recent videos and there's a good few of them, even a brand copying the sustainiac from - https://www.youtube.com/@veyzsustainerpickup1804 - they even have fake syn custom's

Maybe the mod's can send these to Syn then to schecter to correct this problem @Ed Seith , @Radu-Cristian Perde

I'm pretty sure they aren't allowed to sell those as the sustainiac design is patented and copying the syn custom design is also trouble from schecter

Be careful shopping!
    Nice catch indeed!

Though I still think it's a legit Synyster Special that was modded with an clone sustainiac type pickup. My reasoning is that if this was a clone copy of a custom S, why wouldn't they make the effort to dig the wholes as to put the switches where they are on the real deal? Additionally, I actually met a guy who had a white synyster special and he put a sustainiac in it like the model and it resulted in something somewhat similar to what we see up here where the switches are just put where they could be fit.

At the end of the day, the only thing that will confirm if its legit or not will be the serial number. And so if the guitar is legit then there's nothing wrong in selling it as long as it's being labeled as something used. If they label it as brand new or something like that, that would raise some red flags. I used to work in a music store and we did sell some second hand guitars that were modded so nothing too unusual here. Plus, there's not much Schecter nor Syn could do about it even if it was illegal unless it would be sold on a massive scale.

Apocalyptic Katana

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    www.instagram.com
    Nice catch indeed!

Though I still think it's a legit Synyster Special that was modded with an clone sustainiac type pickup. My reasoning is that if this was a clone copy of a custom S, why wouldn't they make the effort to dig the wholes as to put the switches where they are on the real deal? Additionally, I actually met a guy who had a white synyster special and he put a sustainiac in it like the model and it resulted in something somewhat similar to what we see up here where the switches are just put where they could be fit.

At the end of the day, the only thing that will confirm if its legit or not will be the serial number. And so if the guitar is legit then there's nothing wrong in selling it as long as it's being labeled as something used. If they label it as brand new or something like that, that would raise some red flags. I used to work in a music store and we did sell some second hand guitars that were modded so nothing too unusual here. Plus, there's not much Schecter nor Syn could do about it even if it was illegal unless it would be sold on a massive scale.
    yeah maybe the guitar is legit and the camera and lighting makes there something look off to me atleast

that sucks but probably cost more money to put them down to bother

Upvote 0

Javier Wienarjati

Dec 7, 2021
    Indonesia
    www.instagram.com
    View attachment 3280

Thanks for the link!

these are the real ones

View attachment 3281
    Wowwww...great eye, like Sherlock! I came to right place to ask. Thank you..

Be careful shopping!
    Yeah, that was my concern. As I live in Indonesia where many guitar brands were made here, such as Schecter, Ibanez, Cort official mass production. That means a lot of fake production or off production were made here too.
    I'll be carefull, I'll discuss it with my husband. Thank you for your advice.

Nice catch indeed!

In conclusion, if there was a serial number then it's a legit Syn Special but modified with Sustainiac clone?📝
    I'll go talk to Javi and his dad about this.
    Maybe it's not the right time for Javi to have his first FR. Not ready yet perhaps. We'll wait to get Syn Cust S.
    Thank you Radu..

You guys Synners are really the best and so helpful.🙏❤️
    Javi's mom's out. I'll give this acc back to my son.😄

Reactions: Apocalyptic Katana
    Upvote 0

Heroman94

Free Bird Player
    Aug 18, 2022
    Hello Synners,
    My name is Elieve. I'm Javi's mom. I'm borrowing my son, Javi's account here.
    First of all, I want to thank you all Synners here who has help my son to be who he is now. You guys are all the best. Thank you so much for all of your kindness.

The second is, I would like to ask my question above, because I haven't found the answers on google. Well, we found an adv on IG for a secondhand black Schecter Synyster Special, that said made in south korea. It's a rare item here, that's why next monday we're planning to check it out on the shop. My Husband and I went on google to learn more about this guitar. I also watched Ed's vid about how to taking care of FR, because we haven't got any FR guitar before. But there's something that bothers my mind. The guitar has a sustainiac on the neck. I googled and all were said Syn Special has SD invader but no sustainiac. I still haven't found any clue of it. That's why I decided to ask this here by myself, because some info will be missed if it was told by an 8yo kid. 😅

Below were some the pics that were given by the shop. Do you think it's legit?I'm sorry, no headstock photo yet. But it was said just like Syn Special description. I will check it out next monday.

Thank you so much for your help. 😄
    The sustainiac should look like that and the switches should be in the locations shown there. Your son is awesome and I’m sure he inspires other kids to play thanks for letting him dream. Good luck finding the right Synyster gates custom. \m/

Attachments

• 2FC364A8-557F-4565-8EA5-EDEAEF445D7A.jpeg
      2FC364A8-557F-4565-8EA5-EDEAEF445D7A.jpeg
      117.7 KB · Views: 60
    • 37578CC9-2541-450C-9E5E-8FEC762EB0A8.jpeg
      37578CC9-2541-450C-9E5E-8FEC762EB0A8.jpeg
      123.4 KB · Views: 78
    • Love

Javier Wienarjati

Dec 7, 2021
    Indonesia
    www.instagram.com
    The sustainiac should look like that and the switches should be in the locations shown there. Your son is awesome and I’m sure he inspires other kids to play thanks for letting him dream. Good luck finding the right Synyster gates custom. \m/
    Thank you @Heroman94, I download these pics on my phone so I can use it for comparation someday.
    And thank you for your kind words, I'm sorry to hear your injury, btw.
    I have severe arthritis on both my wrists due to Rheumatoid Arthritis and it's so annoying and frustrating sometimes. I still sometimes play guitar, jamming with Javi, but I cannot do speed picking as fast as my son, too many downpickings, or fingering that needs too much straining. I use 3/4 size guitar on acoustic, but I use standard Schecter guitar on electric. Smaller size guitar helps me due to my limitation.
    Well, I hope all the best on your therapy, hope you can feel comfortable enough to practicing and playing.🤘💪

elieve (javi's mom)

• Love
    Reactions: Heroman94
    Upvote 0
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Heroman94

Free Bird Player
    Aug 18, 2022
    Thank you @Heroman94, I download these pics on my phone so I can use it for comparation someday.
    And thank you for your kind words, I'm sorry to hear your injury, btw.
    I have severe arthritis on both my wrists due to Rheumatoid Arthritis and it's so annoying and frustrating sometimes. I still sometimes play guitar, jamming with Javi, but I cannot do speed picking as fast as my son, too many downpickings, or fingering that needs too much straining. I use 3/4 size guitar on acoustic, but I use standard Schecter guitar on electric. Smaller size guitar helps me due to my limitation.
    Well, I hope all the best on your therapy, hope you can feel comfortable enough to practicing and playing.🤘💪

elieve (javi's mom)
    Thanks a lot! I’m actually at therapy right now my therapists are Philippine doctors which are close to you guys country I believe if I’m not mistaken. Really nice people. It’s awesome that you jam with your son I’m sure that’s a bond you guys cherish. I’m sorry to hear about your arthritis it’s cool that your passion and your son helps you play. That’s true about the smaller guitars I was at guitar center the other day trying a Jackson that was smaller than my syn custom and Ibanez I believe it was a junior guitar however it was easier to move around the fretboard. Well anyways thanks for the well wishes and advice elieve. I appreciate it.

• Love
    Upvote 0

Javier Wienarjati

Dec 7, 2021
    Indonesia
    www.instagram.com
    Thanks a lot! I’m actually at therapy right now my therapists are Philippine doctors which are close to you guys country I believe if I’m not mistaken. Really nice people. It’s awesome that you jam with your son I’m sure that’s a bond you guys cherish. I’m sorry to hear about your arthritis it’s cool that your passion and your son helps you play. That’s true about the smaller guitars I was at guitar center the other day trying a Jackson that was smaller than my syn custom and Ibanez I believe it was a junior guitar however it was easier to move around the fretboard. Well anyways thanks for the well wishes and advice elieve. I appreciate it.
    Oh yeahh, I know that Jackson guitar. It's Jackson Dinky Minion. I've seen it once at the local shop, and I did think about it back then. But then I tought we already had too many guitars : javi's ibanez and my schecter, and we only have 1 spot left, and it's only for a Syn Special or Syn S custom of course. Lol😂

Thank you @Heroman94 , hope the best for you and your therapy, keep rock on💪🤘

Upvote 0

Heroman94

Free Bird Player
    Aug 18, 2022
    Oh yeahh, I know that Jackson guitar. It's Jackson Dinky Minion. I've seen it once at the local shop, and I did think about it back then. But then I tought we already had too many guitars : javi's ibanez and my schecter, and we only have 1 spot left, and it's only for a Syn Special or Syn S custom of course. Lol😂

Thank you @Heroman94 , hope the best for you and your therapy, keep rock on💪🤘
    Yeahhh that’s the one the dinky I had tried a wooden polish one it was pretty nice and easy to move around. Lol it’s only right gotta get that custom of course! No problem and thanks so much once again! 🤘🏽

• Love
    Upvote 0