• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Is this a good way to practice improvization?

Notyour Beezwax

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
I need to work on my improvisation, the way I used to practice it was basically just play a mix of chords and riffs that sounded good together in a linear fashion. The new approach I'm thinking about taking is to pick a chord progression and play it over and over with either a drum track or a metronome. Then once I get in that groove start improvising riffs in different bars or changing chords (ie play A7 for a bar instead of A major) while still keeping track of where I am in relation to the progression I'm working in. I also plan on keeping things to a certain key, scale, or mode until I get really comfortable with it then maybe getting weird if I want to. Does this sound like a good exercise? If not how should I improve it and what has worked for you?

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    I think it would work, maybe try 1 or 2 chords at a time. Sometimes I try hit the chord once and play a couple notes from that chord individually for however long the measure is. It works sometimes, I think improvisation means freestyle, so I guess it's just have fun, but try to keep it on a timer and somewhat melodic. Holding a note for a little longer or bend a bit higher could make all the difference.
    I'm not so good, but I think it's fun. o_O